• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jamie411

Reaction score
I'd suggest sending the pics to the retailer where you got them and ask they're advice, as I don't know if that would require a half or whole size down. How does the shoe fit otherwise (width, toe box, instep, etc).

Elessar

Reaction score

I'd suggest sending the pics to the retailer where you got them and ask they're advice, as I don't know if that would require a half or whole size down. How does the shoe fit otherwise (width, toe box, instep, etc).

Emil from Skolyx has been very helpful and patient with my questions throughout, and I've been in contact with him. However, it's the weekend and I don't want to keep blasting him with emails, haha.

The fit is overall a bit loose. When sitting I don't notice it but while walking I can feel a bit of heel slippage. The last design is such that the heel area is snug and the front is roomier, so I like that the heel is snug fitting but I still get a bit of slip from the length I guess.
The width is really wide though. I've never had a shoe with so much room in the toe area. But then I've generally been under sizing, according to all people I've talked to who know anything about shoes.

The problem is I don't own any well fitting footwear (mostly too small), so I don't even know what a well fitting shoe should fit / feel like.

urban

Reaction score
Thank you for your input! Do you think I should go a half size down, or a full size?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give any advice on that. I would suggest that you get in touch with the retailer with the same photo for advice. I would also advise that you measure yourself on a brannock device in a proper shoe shop to get your measurements right. It will make future shoe purchase a lot easier if you know your actual size.

Elessar

Reaction score

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give any advice on that. I would suggest that you get in touch with the retailer with the same photo for advice. I would also advise that you measure yourself on a brannock device in a proper shoe shop to get your measurements right. It will make future shoe purchase a lot easier if you know your actual size.

Thank you! I am in constant contact with Emil (Skolyx) and he's helping me through the process. I know my Brannock size - 10.5B/C depending on the style of the shoe. The problem is the width - I lose out on most shoes because of the width issue. So I try to compensate by sizing down, but sizing is always a nightmare for me. :)

There have been people who were nice enough to craft a shoe with an altered last for me (Ron Rider) but I understand that's not something everybody offers, and I really can't afford bespoke right now (I'm a student).

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patinePL
Keep adding those natural sunlight outdoors pics! They make the shoes and boots look so much better than the stock pictures. Immediately ordered another pair of boots
263a.png

big_buty-53-of-64-.jpg

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in:

Pros: great color, very supple leather
Cons: Laces way too long and shaft is wider than other boots I own (and my feet are rather on the wide side than on the slim side)

Minor QC issue: Multiple (5) speed hooks were completely pressed down, had to pry them open with a flathead screwdriver.

@patinePL @Skolyx:

Do you know if there are any derby laced boots on last 915?

And is your experience also that last 960 in G width has a pretty wide shaft? Will sizing down to a F width solve that?

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those look great! can i ask what size your purchased relative to your other shoes? i noticed they are g width (wide?)

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

those look great! can i ask what size your purchased relative to your other shoes? i noticed they are g width (wide?)

Yes they are a G width indeed. I got size 8 which is my regular size for shoes made by Grenson, Alfred Sargent, Cheaney and C&J. I do need size 8.5 in Church though. I normally wear F width shoes and boots but do own some Grenson boots in 8G.

What surprises me is that these Yanko boots have very wide shafts. As you can see the lacing closes entirely on the top part of the boots with room to spare. None of my other boots have this.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for the update. some of my vass have this issue. its a little annoying. but they recently fixed the problem and it makes a world of difference. maybe the g width wide shaft is to accomodate a thick sock (a very thick sock)

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The speed hooks appear to be very sharp. This is how the laces look after a one time try out of the boots for 10 minutes:

Is there a way to avoid or fix this?

I have other boots with speed hooks and they have a brass like color instead of silver as Yanko uses and they haven't damaged any laces after years of use.

Elessar

Reaction score

The speed hooks appear to be very sharp. This is how the laces look after a one time try out of the boots for 10 minutes:

Is there a way to avoid or fix this?

I have other boots with speed hooks and they have a brass like color instead of silver as Yanko uses and they haven't damaged any laces after years of use.

FWIW, the same thing happened with me for my boots from Rider Boot Co. The laces that came with the shoes snapped in a week. I replaced them with waxed shoelaces from Allen Edmonds, they've been going strong after three months of pretty regular usage (three ish times a week).

dresstokill

Reaction score
Just in:

Pros: great color, very supple leather
Cons: Laces way too long and shaft is wider than other boots I own (and my feet are rather on the wide side than on the slim side)

Minor QC issue: Multiple (5) speed hooks were completely pressed down, had to pry them open with a flathead screwdriver.

@patinePL @Skolyx :

Do you know if there are any derby laced boots on last 915?

And is your experience also that last 960 in G width has a pretty wide shaft? Will sizing down to a F width solve that?

I feel the same holds true for the 915. The shaft is rather wide as well (or I have super narrow ankles) as both on the Chelsea and the Balmoral I have quite a bit of space there. On the Chelsea I tried to size down to fix this but it only slightly changed it.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought some nice waxed boot laces from AFPOS that seem pretty hardy - perhaps a good replacement.

FWIW, the same thing happened with me for my boots from Rider Boot Co. The laces that came with the shoes snapped in a week. I replaced them with waxed shoelaces from Allen Edmonds, they've been going strong after three months of pretty regular usage (three ish times a week).

Replacement waxed boot laces from Loake did the job.

@patinePL: Maybe notify Yanko that their boot laces are not suitable for speed hooks? I sent them a message through their site but never got a response.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseTclow