• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
AE's Promontory Point Boots... So after months and months of searching for a solid pair of boots at local discount stores (Rack, etc) I came across these. No pics right now but the link to AE's site is:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6643_1_40000000001_-1_

What is your guys' thoughts about these? Anyone own a pair? Personally, I think they are awesome and the price I paid ($160) was a good deal.

Reading some of the reviews on AE there are complaints of fit / comfort. I'm yet to wear them and probably won't until the cold air comes blowing through months from now, but interestingly enough they seem to fit great, especially when I have had issues fitting in some of AE's more mainstream shoes before.

Any opinions are appreciated.
For $160 you should get them and never look back.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE's Promontory Point Boots... So after months and months of searching for a solid pair of boots at local discount stores (Rack, etc) I came across these. No pics right now but the link to AE's site is:

What is your guys' thoughts about these? Anyone own a pair? Personally, I think they are awesome and the price I paid ($160) was a good deal.

Reading some of the reviews on AE there are complaints of fit / comfort. I'm yet to wear them and probably won't until the cold air comes blowing through months from now, but interestingly enough they seem to fit great, especially when I have had issues fitting in some of AE's more mainstream shoes before.

I think a lot of people were unhappy with that boot because what most people got was a much more narrowed toe box than the boot pictured. I do not pretend to know the details but from what I understand that boot originally released was almost an exact replica of a boot AE made for Wolverine. So AE had to change it up and did so by making it more barrow in the toe.

Of course I reserve the right to be completely wrong on everything I just typed.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I MTO'd a pair and they are awesome. I think they fit great and while the toe box looks a little more tapered than I expected, it fits a very comfortable TTS.

LeviMay

Reaction score
IMHO, the Promontory Point is one of the most glaring examples of AE's tendency to underwhelm with their website photography. The website pics did not accurately represent the shape of the toe at all, and the pics of the various MTOs are pretty spectacular.

lemmy127

Reaction score

Reading some of the reviews on AE there are complaints of fit / comfort.  I'm yet to wear them and probably won't until the cold air comes blowing through months from now, but interestingly enough they seem to fit great, especially when I have had issues fitting in some of AE's more mainstream shoes before.

The toe box was a bit narrow for me. I removed the orthotic insole they come with and they're spot on now.

pomofo

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever experienced difficulty ordering through the ShoeBank site? Waaay back on the first day of the 2 for $299 sale, I requested two pairs from the Port Washington store, and a few days later added a third. A week went by with no response from the store, so I emailed the store (politely of course) explaining the situation. They responded this time -- though no apology or explanation, which kind of annoyed me -- and said that one of the shoes I requested wasn't available -- which also kind of annoyed me, seeing as it had been when I placed the order/request. So I emailed back asking if I could now substitute another shoe, which to this minute still appears on their site in my size, and was told that also wasn't available, and that the inventory doesn't always match the website.

Through it all, I've found the service terrible -- not just the failure to respond to my order and the frustration of not being able to get the shoes, but also that it takes them about three days to respond to the simplest email query and they seem totally uninterested in making the sale. It's now been two weeks since I placed the request and they've not once asked whether I want the two pairs shipped that were (are still?) available and they've never offered to do anything about the mix-up on the third. Every email they send is a one-sentence response that gives the impression they view my attempt to purchase from them as an annoyance.

Calling is always the best bet. But even then it's no guarantee. I called within 20 minutes of getting the 2nds sale email and my first choice had already been claimed by another customer. They held my second choice until the next day, when they confirmed that my first choice was unavailable, so I ordered my second and third choices. I kept checking the Shoebank website and noticed that the shoes I purchased had been removed from the website, but that my first choice was still listed as being in stock. So I called that store directly, the assistant manager confirmed that it was still available so I bought it, albeit not at the 2nds sale price.

Either that store was giving Shoebank bum information because they wanted to get credit for the sales themselves, or whoever claimed those shoes decided later not to buy them and Shoebank didn't want to go through the effort of giving me the option of waiting until that previous claimant had decided not to purchase. I wanted to complain to someone about that, but when that thrid pair of shoes came I got a nice thank you card from the store assistant manager and two days later he followed up with another email thanking me for my purchase. I guess that cancels out the snafu.

zombiesartre

Reaction score
The Promontory Point was made on two different lasts. The initial last used was the same as the Wolverine Krause. When Wolverine objected to its usage, AE switched to the 8 last and never updated its photos. https://imgur.com/a/t6u7r This is a comparison write-up I did a while back showing the differences, hope it helps.

cincikid

Reaction score
The Promontory Point was made on two different lasts. The initial last used was the same as the Wolverine Krause. When Wolverine objected to its usage, AE switched to the 8 last and never updated its photos. https://imgur.com/a/t6u7r This is a comparison write-up I did a while back showing the differences, hope it helps.
Great comparison, Zombie. Thanks for putting this together.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Promontory Point was made on two different lasts. The initial last used was the same as the Wolverine Krause. When Wolverine objected to its usage, AE switched to the 8 last and never updated its photos. https://imgur.com/a/t6u7r  This is a comparison write-up I did a while back showing the differences, hope it helps.

This is the 678 last and not the 108 last (mora2.0,delray,carlyle) right?

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Wearing one from my 2/299 haul earlier this week. Love the indy leather, very soft and doesn't need anytime to break in. Very excited about finally figuring out my size in the 3 last.

Last edited:

evilWagon

Reaction score
The only promoter point I found close to my size says it's on the 678 last, is this the wolverine last?

evilWagon

Reaction score

Wearing one from my 2/299 haul earlier this week. Love the indy leather, very soft and doesn't need anytime to break in. Very excited about finally figuring out my size in the 3 last.

Looks great! Got mine yesterday but had to run to a meeting before I got a chance to try them on.
How did your sizing compare to the other lasts?

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Looks great! Got mine yesterday but had to run to a meeting before I got a chance to try them on.
How did your sizing compare to the other lasts?

I take same size, narrower width

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage with some new RRL summer weight chinos. The shell looks fantastic in natural light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads