• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Really?  It may just be me but "exotic" skinned shoes just remind me too much of the "80's" and overly flashy dressed black guys on the south side of Chicago.  Not my cup of tea.  What kind of outfit do you pair those with (serious question) in case it is just me.  

A very rare pair of AE's you got there Spoo.  Very nice.

I certainly don't consider "exotic" leather shoes for my wardrobe, but I can appreciate those AE's for their rarity.  Those were quite expensive as well.  They made some in genuine Alligator a little over a year ago as a Webgem, and if memory serves they were in the price range of a pair of John Lobbs, though I don't remember the exact price.

EDIT: Just found them... They were $2,400. :uhoh:

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. Ive listed them up now, just called them "sterling" - forgive my naitivity in this thread, but whats a Webgem?

jungleroller, just pair with an equally flashy suit, like a pinstripe, and done!

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang. I was quoted $40 here in boston.

I might see how much they'll charge if I bring in my own soles.

That is a rip off. I used to live in Boston. Don't pay more than $25, $35 at most if it is including the heels and is vibram. Wasn't even that much in NYC.

There is a little shoe store near Coolidge Corner run by a man that barely speaks english (I recall an Armenian flag) that does very good work. They are very well priced too.

Shiny

Reaction score

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this (new poster) but today I received my order of Long Branch boots in Dark Brown. As you will see from the photos below, there is a distinct difference in grain (and colour, but harder to see and less fussed by that) between the two. I appreciate that the grain is part of this particular boot and that to some extent, variation should be expected and appreciated, but my initial reaction was that mine are too far off. Pictures do not actually show full extent of the difference. Do I go through the hassle of exchanging (keeping in mind that I am in Canada and will have to pay the costs of the shipping etc.)?

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Looks good from here. Long Branch is a great boot. I agree with the other poster that said that you should apply some conditioner (although I have no experience with that obenauf product).

Keep in mind that Long Branch's are more of a casual boot. Meant to be abused and used in the rain/snow etc. Unless you got some with leather soles.

In terms of color, you can add darker polish to the lighter one over time and it will darken. Some folks here even use a product called neatsfoot oil to darken walnut shoes with good results.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. Ive listed them up now, just called them "sterling" - forgive my naitivity in this thread, but whats a Webgem?

jungleroller, just pair with an equally flashy suit, like a pinstripe, and done!

That sounds pretty commanding! I get it.

evolved

Reaction score

A webgem is a special run of shoes from Allen Edmonds that typically lasts for a month.....special make ups, special leathers, etc.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a rip off. I used to live in Boston. Don't pay more than $25, $35 at most if it is including the heels and is vibram. Wasn't even that much in NYC.

There is a little shoe store near Coolidge Corner run by a man that barely speaks english (I recall an Armenian flag) that does very good work. They are very well priced too.

Guy was charging 40 for the just the soles. They were made in italy though. /sigh

I ended up paying 50 each to have them retrofitted with pretty gnarly lugged rubber soles. Not sure how he's putting them on but I'm certain he's not stitching the soles on. Sigh.

I don't live close to coolidge but I might have to make that trip. 100 dollars to get 2 boots resoled is a bit much. I'll see how much he charges if I bring my vibram soles in. The place I went to was in beacon hill. The place I went to in Davis square near my apt charged about 30 bucks for new heels.

Do you remember what the place in coolidge was called? Alton place maybe? I found that on yelp after a quick search.

Last edited:

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Guy was charging 40 for the just the soles. They were made in italy though. /sigh

I ended up paying 50 each to have them retrofitted with pretty gnarly lugged rubber soles. Not sure how he's putting them on but I'm certain he's not stitching the soles on. Sigh.

I don't live close to coolidge but I might have to make that trip. 100 dollars to get 2 boots resoled is a bit much. I'll see how much he charges if I bring my vibram soles in. The place I went to was in beacon hill. The place I went to in Davis square near my apt charged about 30 bucks for new heels.

Do you remember what the place in coolidge was called? Alton place maybe? I found that on yelp after a quick search.

The manager I've been working with at the AE store on State Street recommended Prospero's to me once if I needed work done. I can't say that I've used him yet (name is Max) but the Yelp reviews looked promising.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I got an email from Allison today saying my MTO's had failed inspection and would be remade and not ready until Nov 15. Damn! It's already been 2 months
frown.gif
I keep hearing about a lot of failed inspections... seems like they'd have this process down by now and wouldn't have so many 2nds. Mine are cappucino shell McNeil's... so I guess they set aside extra cappucino in case this happens.

Sorry that the first run didn't work out. What size are you?
sly.gif

AdamAdam

Reaction score
A few pages ago someone was talking about lightening up a pair of brown calf. It got me thinking that there is a color gap in AE's brown offerings. I have two pair (Strand and McAllister) in walnut which are stunning and I love them. I also have a McAllister in merlot and I love that color too. I'm picking up a pair of dark chocolate Daltons next week and think that color is great. However, I've been wanting something in a brown in between walnut and brown. Other makers often call this antique brown, cognac, chestnut or something like that. Chili is too red and bourbon isn't really the answer either IMO. Something like this...

Courtesy of: http://edetal.sg/shop/cityhall-antique-brown/

versus AE dark brown:

I thought maybe it was just my monitor making these "other brown" leathers look something other than a standard brown but I've seen some of them in real life that have this tone. I've seen all of the AE colors in real life as well and the brown is dark and (to me) a bit plain. Some of the shell colors like cappuccino and walnut might fill this void but they are no longer available.

Thoughts?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about saddle brown? A la Vernon?

Last edited:

mdavis534

Reaction score

A few pages ago someone was talking about lightening up a pair of brown calf. It got me thinking that there is a color gap in AE's brown offerings. I have two pair (Strand and McAllister) in walnut which are stunning and I love them. I also have a McAllister in merlot and I love that color too. I'm picking up a pair of dark chocolate Daltons next week and think that color is great. However, I've been wanting something in a brown in between walnut and brown. Other makers often call this antique brown, cognac, chestnut or something like that. Chili is too red and bourbon isn't really the answer either IMO. Something like this...

Courtesy of: http://edetal.sg/shop/cityhall-antique-brown/

versus AE dark brown:

I thought maybe it was just my monitor making these "other brown" leathers look something other than a standard brown but I've seen some of them in real life that have this tone. I've seen all of the AE colors in real life as well and the brown is dark and (to me) a bit plain. Some of the shell colors like cappuccino and walnut might fill this void but they are no longer available.

Thoughts?
What about bourbon. Shade varies. I find it to be a good mid point between walnut and dark brown. I have a couple of pairs and like the color quite a bit.

salgy

Reaction score

A few pages ago someone was talking about lightening up a pair of brown calf. It got me thinking that there is a color gap in AE's brown offerings. I have two pair (Strand and McAllister) in walnut which are stunning and I love them. I also have a McAllister in merlot and I love that color too. I'm picking up a pair of dark chocolate Daltons next week and think that color is great. However, I've been wanting something in a brown in between walnut and brown.

Thoughts?

Look at the brown (not distressed) ashbury's... I think it is the shade you are looking for... I can post a picture tomorrow in between walnut & AE brown, but it's in between... You would have to have to do a MTO, but the colors right

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May have been Alton. It's in a basement. Not surprised you ended up paying that much in Beacon Hill. Not a far walk from the BC line if i recall.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Hey Doc, if you want to test HDLP before you buy, I'd be happy to send you a small amount for your boots. I picked up a big container last winter and have enough to last me a couple of yrs. PM me your address if you are interested.

Patrick, your offer is very generous. I am constantly amazed by the goodwill of people on this board. However, I just saw this post and have already purchased 4oz through Amazon Prime last night.

I appreciate the sentiment, though. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads