• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clean, condition & use shoe trees

Pretty much. I would add that over conditioning will cause just as many problems as under conditioning. Also, brush your shoes before and after wearing to prevent microscopic debris from accumulating in the creases. This debris acts as an abrasive during walking and contributes to the wearing of the leather fibers. Over conditioning will keep enough oil in the creases such that debris gets "stuck" and doesn't brush out as easily. It's all about balance, doing your best, and enjoying the rest.

A: They're your shoes. You bought them. You paid for them. You can do whatever you want with them.

crackup%5B1%5D.gif

ok seriously. Leather cleaner, conditioner, then polish and sometimes finish by waxing if your heart desires.

Edit for shoes trees always.

Oh blah. I forgot to grab leather cleaner, but I have leather conditioner.

I'm going to brush the heck outta the area of the creases, wipe with a damp rag, and then apply more conditioner and let it sit for a bit. The brown boots in question have a white line visible in the creases which I think is the start of a crack so I need to stop it in it's tracks.

Will obenauf's help here as well?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Others who have done MTOs before me, I just got a second email from Allison this morning making it appear that my order has been charged against my credit card. Does that mean that they are done or near done and should be expecting a shipping notice here shortly?

-Mike

I got an email from Allison today saying my MTO's had failed inspection and would be remade and not ready until Nov 15. Damn! It's already been 2 months :( I keep hearing about a lot of failed inspections... seems like they'd have this process down by now and wouldn't have so many 2nds. Mine are cappucino shell McNeil's... so I guess they set aside extra cappucino in case this happens.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I got an email from Allison today saying my MTO's had failed inspection and would be remade and not ready until Nov 15. Damn! It's already been 2 months :( I keep hearing about a lot of failed inspections... seems like they'd have this process down by now and wouldn't have so many 2nds. Mine are cappucino shell McNeil's... so I guess they set aside extra cappucino in case this happens.

Sorry to hear that! My Leeds failed the first time around. I hope my capp. MacNiels make it through the first time... Although pushing the date back that I have to pay for them might not be too bad. haha

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Sorry to hear. But yes, it is good to know that they still have you covered. 3 weeks is actually amazingly quick. Don't they have to sit on the lasts for a while?

I got Cappuccino Jeffersons. So I will sort of be a preview of yours. What welt, edging, and sole did you get?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear. But yes, it is good to know that they still have you covered. 3 weeks is actually amazingly quick. Don't they have to sit on the lasts for a while?

I got Cappuccino Jeffersons. So I will sort of be a preview of yours. What welt, edging, and sole did you get?

Here are my specs:

Custom MacNeil
*CAPPUCCINO CORDOVAN
*Exposed BRASS EYELETS LIKE 4103
*TONE ON TONE STITCHING
*BROWN LEATHER INSOLE
*NATURAL SPLIT REVERSE WELT
*NATURAL EDGE DRESSING
*DOUBLE RENDENBACH OUTSOLE

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found myself drooling over the pics as well....then I realized I have the sme exact make-up at home! LOL. It's amazing what some nice photography can do! Well done, Patrick!

Thanks tifosi! Yours were stunning as well and I used your specs virtually verbatim when spec'ing mine. The big difference is that I wanted to try double butyl. I have to say, it's really nice. I've had double JR (or Alden's version, which are about the same weight & stiffness) on 10+ other shoes/boots. I was in the mood to try something different.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh blah. I forgot to grab leather cleaner, but I have leather conditioner.

I'm going to brush the heck outta the area of the creases, wipe with a damp rag, and then apply more conditioner and let it sit for a bit. The brown boots in question have a white line visible in the creases which I think is the start of a crack so I need to stop it in it's tracks.

Will obenauf's help here as well?

It could be built up "wax" style shoe polish. I had that happen to myself. I think wax style polish should be only used on non creasing areas of the shoe to avoid that potential problem. You'll have creases, theres no way to avoid it, you can minimize it though by the above steps. Or you could step up to cordovan shoes and have waves instead of creases
fing02[1].gif

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to treat my Long Branches with Obenhauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative. It comes in 4oz and 8oz bottles. Which size should I purchase? This is the only pair of boots I'll be treating.

Much obliged.

Hey Doc, if you want to test HDLP before you buy, I'd be happy to send you a small amount for your boots. I picked up a big container last winter and have enough to last me a couple of yrs. PM me your address if you are interested.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It could be built up "wax" style shoe polish. I had that happen to myself. I think wax style polish should be only used on non creasing areas of the shoe to avoid that potential problem. You'll have creases, theres no way to avoid it, you can minimize it though by the above steps. Or you could step up to cordovan shoes and have waves instead of creases
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

These aren't my AE's but another pair of shoes that I bought. I think they're actually ripping at a wear spot so I'm going to try to get them nice and supple again before I wear them more and ruin them more. As long as they don't get much worse and rip through, I think they'll be fine with polish.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Others who have done MTOs before me, I just got a second email from Allison this morning making it appear that my order has been charged against my credit card. Does that mean that they are done or near done and should be expecting a shipping notice here shortly?

-Mike

When did you order out of curiosity?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang. I was quoted $40 here in boston.

I might see how much they'll charge if I bring in my own soles.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

When did you order out of curiosity?

Pretty sure it was on October 2nd, but I know that they had already gotten the leather out of the warehouse before I actually officially ordered the shoes because they had to ensure that they had sufficient leather to take my order. I ordered a black shell MTO at the same time and haven't heard about those yet.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads