• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to treat my Long Branches with Obenhauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative. It comes in 4oz and 8oz bottles. Which size should I purchase? This is the only pair of boots I'll be treating.

For a single pair of boots, the 4oz bottle will last a long time. Depending on use, you may only need to treat them once or twice a year.

However, if you think you may end up with more work boots made of pull-up leather (see Whites and Viberg threads for reference), the larger size may serve you well.

Whites Boots: http://www.styleforum.net/t/219173/custom-whites-boots-thoughts/0_100

Viberg: http://www.styleforum.net/t/224463/viberg-boots/0_100

Last edited:

emmjayb

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this (new poster) but today I received my order of Long Branch boots in Dark Brown. As you will see from the photos below, there is a distinct difference in grain (and colour, but harder to see and less fussed by that) between the two. I appreciate that the grain is part of this particular boot and that to some extent, variation should be expected and appreciated, but my initial reaction was that mine are too far off. Pictures do not actually show full extent of the difference. Do I go through the hassle of exchanging (keeping in mind that I am in Canada and will have to pay the costs of the shipping etc.)?

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

OptoDoc

Reaction score
For a single pair of boots, the 4oz bottle will last a long time. Depending on use, you may only need to treat them once or twice a year.

However, if you think you may end up with more work boots made of pull-up leather (see Whites and Viberg threads for reference), the larger size may serve you well.

Whites Boots: http://www.styleforum.net/t/219173/custom-whites-boots-thoughts/0_100

Viberg: http://www.styleforum.net/t/224463/viberg-boots/0_100

Much obliged.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems like this could become the stock answer for all the usual questions we get in this thread:

Q: How should I care for or polish my new AE's?
A: They're your shoes. You bought them. You paid for them. You can do whatever you want with them.

Q: Can I wear my shell Dalton boots in the rain or will they be ruined?
A: They're your shoes. You bought them. You paid for them. You can do whatever you want with them.

Q: Should I consider having a topy added to the soles of my new AE's?

Q: I just received my new AE seconds, and I'm crestfallen because they have a defect. Should I keep these shoes or return them?

Q: What is Allison's phone number at AE?
A: They're your shoes . . . alright, maybe it doesn't answer every question.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Well done, amazing

I found myself drooling over the pics as well....then I realized I have the sme exact make-up at home! LOL. It's amazing what some nice photography can do! Well done, Patrick!

BCer

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this (new poster) but today I received my order of Long Branch boots in Dark Brown. As you will see from the photos below, there is a distinct difference in grain (and colour, but harder to see and less fussed by that) between the two. I appreciate that the grain is part of this particular boot and that to some extent, variation should be expected and appreciated, but my initial reaction was that mine are too far off. Pictures do not actually show full extent of the difference. Do I go through the hassle of exchanging (keeping in mind that I am in Canada and will have to pay the costs of the shipping etc.)?

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

I received a pair of Bayfields yesterday (Lands End) that had a bit of 'funkiness' going on in places too - the inner panel of one boot was quite rough like you're showing. Last night I gave them a pretty good rub down with Obenauf's and it's much less noticeable.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you guys prevent creasing from turning into cracking?

Leather protectant applications followed by polish?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Others who have done MTOs before me, I just got a second email from Allison this morning making it appear that my order has been charged against my credit card. Does that mean that they are done or near done and should be expecting a shipping notice here shortly?

-Mike

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clean, condition & use shoe trees

Pretty much. I would add that over conditioning will cause just as many problems as under conditioning. Also, brush your shoes before and after wearing to prevent microscopic debris from accumulating in the creases. This debris acts as an abrasive during walking and contributes to the wearing of the leather fibers. Over conditioning will keep enough oil in the creases such that debris gets "stuck" and doesn't brush out as easily. It's all about balance, doing your best, and enjoying the rest.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Others who have done MTOs before me, I just got a second email from Allison this morning making it appear that my order has been charged against my credit card. Does that mean that they are done or near done and should be expecting a shipping notice here shortly?

-Mike

If she charged you, they are shipping. Typically the same day depending on the time of day.
I would not hold your breath for a shipping notice. They are supposed to be sent automatically, but I never got one. I just emailed Allison and asked for the tracking info.

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

crackup[1].gif

ok seriously. Leather cleaner, conditioner, then polish and sometimes finish by waxing if your heart desires.

Edit for shoes trees always.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

If she charged you, they are shipping. Typically the same day depending on the time of day.
I would not hold your breath for a shipping notice. They are supposed to be sent automatically, but I never got one. I just emailed Allison and asked for the tracking info.

Sweet exciting! Kind of surprised these shipped so quick. I ordered them on Oct 2nd. I ordered the Snuff Suede Amoks the last day of their availability (Sept. 5ish) and still haven't gotten them yet.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads