• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
My shell chili Mac Neils after two months of daily wear. I think I prefer the creasing of calf to the rolling of cordovan but I do see the appeal. I’ve found a pig bristle brush is far more effective than horsehair for removing surface scratches.
47E00BEC-E467-4343-84D2-9D73B7084EC5.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shell chili Mac Neils after two months of daily wear. I think I prefer the creasing of calf to the rolling of cordovan but I do see the appeal. I’ve found a pig bristle brush is far more effective than horsehair for removing surface scratches. View attachment 1706576

Two months no rotation between shoes?

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Two months no rotation between shoes?

My first pair of shell cordovan shoes, my first pair of JR Rendenbach soles and the most expensive shoes I’ve ever purchased ($695), and I naturally wanted to wear them all the time. I got caught in the Vancouver rain on several occasions and they developed a white crust, almost like dried mayonnaise, on the shell just above the welt. I thought about posting pics but didn’t, I can only assume it was an accumulation of the oils that often come to the surface, and in this case caused by constant exposure to moisture. When I wiped the white crust off the shoes it left a black staining, which I really don’t care for on a new pair of shoes. From everything I’ve read shell is resilient and with wear will naturally change color, so I am endeavouring to not rotate my shoes but wear these all through the winter to see what happens. Obviously they are maintained with cedar shoe trees and brushed weekly with occasional Saphir cordovan cream. I am particularly curious if the black staining will fade. Sort of a mission to test the durability of shell and JR Rendenbach soles. My shoes don’t really get exposed to much, just 1.2 km (.75 miles) walk to work then I’m in my office all day. No snow or salt just a lot of rain. So let’s see what happens, my understanding is shell is long lasting and low maintenance and the Mac Neil obviously has a reputation for their sturdiness.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tundra also has a well deserved “reputation for sturdiness” but that doesn’t mean I wait three years between oil changes.

Certainly, they are your shoes and it’s your money and if you want to risk sacrificing them in the interest of science, then rock on. Still, it strikes me as a bit odd to treat your favorite and most expensive shoes that way, especially since there is no guarantee you can ever get another Macneil.

I would gently suggest that, if you continue on with this experiment, at least brush after each wear.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shell chili Mac Neils after two months of daily wear. I think I prefer the creasing of calf to the rolling of cordovan but I do see the appeal. I’ve found a pig bristle brush is far more effective than horsehair for removing surface scratches. View attachment 1706576
Which pig bristle brush do you use? I'm looking to get one with your observations of how effective it is at removing scratches.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own one of the Aspen Hiker lug boots? How are they?

Im curious as well and how they’ve actually been used. More of an academic interest to me since they’re only offered in a D and EEE, so no danger of them replacing my waterproof Keens (boot) or Oboz (shoe) for hiking. But they are good looking boots.

PSA: By the way, to anyone thinking about getting into the hiking game, if there is even a little bit of rock scrambling involved, the toes of your shoes/boots take a beating. That’s why such shoes/boots made by/for outdoor gear folks have toe surfaces that are reinforced.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think on a boot or chukka, good ol’ brown shell - shaven or “normal” - looks so darn good. Some folks forget about brown when there are more unusual flavors available but brown shell is a staple for a reason. It looks fantastic.
Bring back the brown shell cordovan Dundee. Please and thank you. Lbvs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads