• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy shell Strands. Beautiful, burgundy, and you can't order them from AE. Seriously, when all cordovan is MTO, why can't you order any model in one of the three standard colors? They only sell this shoe in brown. Rumor has it that they began to source brown shell cordovan purely to produce the Strand. But I digress. This was part of a GMTO that I may have been a little aggressive with (sorry, guys). My first pair was stretched too tightly over the last and had micro tears in the toe. So they sent me this pair instead. They polished up nicely.

DSC_0661.jpg
DSC_0662.jpg
DSC_0663.jpg

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So on to another unicorn. One day a few years ago, there appeared a few pairs of black shell cordovan and ALLIGATOR in my huge 12 EEE size on eBay. I reached out to the seller and arranged to purchase two pairs: a pair of black cordovan PAs and these. A pair of Birminghams in black alligator. I later bought a pair of PAs in gator from the same guy. I called AE to make sure these are legit. One of the other eBay listings from the same seller had an order number, which I gave to the customer service lady. There was a stunned silence. She said that the customer had ordered 40 PAIRS of gator and shell all at the same time. I asked her how much these had cost, and she said $3,200. She also told me to take good care of them and never let anything happen to them as most people could not afford even one pair. So the answer is yes - these are legit. And I have two pairs.

Anyways, as my feet have shrunk these have fit looser and looser. I also wanted to switch the welt to a normal welt instead of split reverse. Spoke to recrafting and a few cobblers - no go. So instead I use a pair of insoles and count myself blessed to own these. These are on the old 0 last so have plenty of room everywhere.
View attachment 818150 View attachment 818151 View attachment 818152
Gator short wings. Ultra-BALLER.

New2Suits

Reaction score
Burgundy shell Strands. Beautiful, burgundy, and you can't order them from AE. Seriously, when all cordovan is MTO, why can't you order any model in one of the three standard colors? They only sell this shoe in brown. Rumor has it that they began to source brown shell cordovan purely to produce the Strand. But I digress. This was part of a GMTO that I may have been a little aggressive with (sorry, guys). My first pair was stretched too tightly over the last and had micro tears in the toe. So they sent me this pair instead. They polished up nicely.

View attachment 818192 View attachment 818193 View attachment 818194

These are beautiful. They should certainly offer these.

Shiner

Reaction score
Finally got a pair of strands. Check out the sole.
IMG_2297.JPG

Shiner

Reaction score
Are Maxfields coming back?
Got these in merlot.
IMG_2301.JPG

Shiner

Reaction score
IMG_2299.JPG
Here is my AE collection. Not big on shell. Just got one pair of black caps for formal. I like fun shoes.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might notice the blue insoles in the Oak Streets. They're to help me take up volume in my shoes. I originally weighed 315 and am now between 195 and 200, depending on the day and my carbs. This has resulted in the loss of a lot of volume in my feet. Oddly enough, they haven't gotten any narrower, only less voluminous. My shoes were starting to not fit, but going down a size was still to small I went in to the SCP store with my brown shell Strands (the first and most expensive shoe that I was having the problem with) for help. Byron suggested a pair of Road Warrior insoles. Apparently you can buy them separately. This pair saved my sanity. I only need it with my pairs that are SUPER broken in (which at last count was less than 5) but those are some of my favorite pairs. I know recrafting will relast the shoes, but they're not that worn out yet. Anyways - these are comfy and you should buy them.

View attachment 818173

A fellow low volume brother!

I, too, use the RW inserts on a few models: Normandy, 5th Street, Dalton MTO. I've actually found going from 9D to 9.5E plus RW inserts on 65 works great for me.

TresG

Reaction score
I figured it was a nice night to slip on the Kirkwoods and head to the town square to grab an ice cream!

IMG_3215.JPG

Shiner

Reaction score
Anybody that has access to the shoebank should go. I always find these seconds with the box that says no color. These shoes are usually a one of a kind. My last two purchases were no color boxes. A strand with a boot vibram lug sole and the Maxfield in merlot. Great shoes that look different. I was told both shoes were a test mock up that the company made to check the shoe look. Both shoes did not make it to production. Very cool.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok I realized my last post didn't show the picture properly. So here it is
35939829092_c8743d073c_k.jpg

Enjoyed reading polojocks posts. Ah those were the days.
Those are HAWT. The last thing I need is another chukka (MDxAE on the way to make 3), but I'd scoop those up in a heart beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads