• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooter

Reaction score
Nice collection you have going there. But I noticed one thing... NO HIGGINS MILL!! WTF. But seriously, Higgins Mill. Also, a PTB or Chukka would be a nice addition.

Question... upper left is the Saukville? How do you like that. That's one of the models calling my name from the clearance page.
Yes, they are the Saukville. I like them a lot, they are very comfortable. They are not as...structured(?) as some other boots, which I guess is because of the material. By this I mean that they are not as supportive as they are so soft. I found that they are just a tad more narrow than others on the 511 last, but wouldn't recommend changing sizes based on this. I would buy again.

No Higgins Mill, I know, I'm a failure! But I swear, the 1000 mile boots I have a very similar lol.

Abq505

Reaction score
I have this boot so speaking from exp.

IMO in order to get a good long term fit the boot has to fit all around the outer edge and not be too loose in the heel. The key is I think in your case as it was in mien when you find the best fit for the outer edge as in all around your foot (sides, toe, heel) it is extremely likely the instep will feel tight.

Once I found the best fit for my toes, my heel, width they were tight in the instep. But as I was told by the salesman and he was correct if you want a good fit on this boot you have to break it in. So for me 10D was the best toe, heel, width and it pressed on my instep really good the first day, the second day a better, third day good most of the day, by the forth time felt like wearing a glove completely formed to my foot.

You don't really give all the fit details on all 4 sizes BUT if the 11D only crushed your instep that may have been the one.

Again just my opinion based on how I got my Liverpool to fit like a glove.
Excellent advise and thanks for your insight.

The 11D should have read 11B. With that said I think you may be right. The 10.5D is the one boot I still have but it fits tight around the outside of my toes. Since I am a new AE customer they have been kind enough to let me wear this boot out for a couple of weeks and still allow a return if the fit doesn't settle in. It seems to be getting a bit better especially with thinner socks but there's still a bit to go.

Have you noticed any stretch in the leather, or is the break in only in the footbed?

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Wearing $157 (2nds) Saukvilles today. We have a bit of freezing weather but are at about 32 degrees.

The more I wear suede in chilly seasons, the more I like it.

At clearance/seconds pricing, these are a great deal.

As noted recently by @TexasTexter
The best shopping is done strategically, opportunistically.

If you do not own a suede boot, you won't see a much better deal from AE
(unless you are a big gambler, wait for a 20% off clearance deal!)

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes shoes are more than shoes. My dad always wore Allen Edmonds. In fact, he bought me my first pair of Allen Edmonds and it has gone on from there. I bought my son his first pair of Allen Edmonds also and I'm hoping the tradition continues.

As my dad got older, health issues prevented him from dressing like I always remembered him dressing - suit and tie. So his wardrobe became more casual and he did not wear AE's. I didn't know what happened to his AE shoes - didn't really care to be honest.

I lost my dad in late October last year. My mom called the other day and said there were 2 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes still in his closet and she asked what size I wore. They were my size. She asked me if I wanted them and of course I said yes.

So today I am wearing my dad's Berwicks. He always wore black shoes - maybe the occasional burgundy, but mostly black. I usually don't wear a lot of black shoes, but today I am wearing his black polished cobbler 8817 Berwicks.

There might be a few pairs of AE's in and out of my collection over the years, but these are a permanent fixture.

Chris

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes shoes are more than shoes. My dad always wore Allen Edmonds. In fact, he bought me my first pair of Allen Edmonds and it has gone on from there. I bought my son his first pair of Allen Edmonds also and I'm hoping the tradition continues.

As my dad got older, health issues prevented him from dressing like I always remembered him dressing - suit and tie. So his wardrobe became more casual and he did not wear AE's. I didn't know what happened to his AE shoes - didn't really care to be honest.

I lost my dad in late October last year. My mom called the other day and said there were 2 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes still in his closet and she asked what size I wore. They were my size. She asked me if I wanted them and of course I said yes.

So today I am wearing my dad's Berwicks. He always wore black shoes - maybe the occasional burgundy, but mostly black. I usually don't wear a lot of black shoes, but today I am wearing his black polished cobbler 8817 Berwicks.

There might be a few pairs of AE's in and out of my collection over the years, but these are a permanent fixture.

Chris

I'm now lobbying for the ability to provide rep more than once for a given post.

Last edited:

EvanNole

Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my first Shoebank purchase, Dark Chili St. John's. So far I am quite pleased... They're just a hair snug but I expect they'll break in over time. In the short term, though, there's no slipping these on, even with a shoe horn. I will be undoing the top buckle every time, probably for a couple of weeks at least, but that doesn't bother me. I would rather a shoe be a bit snug than a bit too loose... Too loose sets my plantar fasciitis off.

As for them being seconds, other than a small surface scratch or two - the kind that's going to happen with any wear at all, no matter what - I don't see anything else wrong with them.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage for natural shell strands. You can see a bit of color off on the left shoe captoe. Not sure how I'm going to fix that be it with brown cordovan cream, renovateur to even it out a but or simply leave it alone. I guess I could have it refinished but hardly seems worth being without the shoes.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage for natural shell strands. You can see a bit of color off on the left shoe captoe. Not sure how I'm going to fix that be it with brown cordovan cream, renovateur to even it out a but or simply leave it alone. I guess I could have it refinished but hardly seems worth being without the shoes.

I think the more you Mac Method them and hit them with occasional VSC the more they will even out. I would personally wear and enjoy. They are fab!

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 11D should have read 11B. With that said I think you may be right. The 10.5D is the one boot I still have but it fits tight around the outside of my toes. Since I am a new AE customer they have been kind enough to let me wear this boot out for a couple of weeks and still allow a return if the fit doesn't settle in. It seems to be getting a bit better especially with thinner socks but there's still a bit to go.

Have you noticed any stretch in the leather, or is the break in only in the footbed?
The one thing that concerns me is you saying that the 10.5D is tight around the footbed. Again all my opinion based on my exp, the footbed is not going to change much maybe the footbed will settle in but that's not going to give you room to the front or the side of the toe. So if the footbed is tight maybe not the right size. But again this is a slip on and you don't want it slipping off as you walk so you have to really dial in the size.

That all said I can tell you my boot I don't have any extra room in the toe area, but my toes are comfortable and not crushed or rubbing at all, but again no extra room at all. Also to answer your one question in my case no stretching of the toe are it is today what it was on day one.

But for stretching yes and for sure the instep area gives and that is the main break in area.

Also what I do and no idea if it really helps I just feel in my mind that somehow it could help a new shoe. Before I wear new shoes I go over them with leather conditioner thinking that if I want a new shoe to conform to my foot I should nourish the leather making it soft and hydrated so it can mold to my foot.

IMO about socks you should not try to get super thin sock to make a shoe fit. The only thing I think should be changed with socks is thicker than normal socks to make a shoe you got an unbelievable deal on fit since it is a little too big. Tight shoes that are overall just too small for your foot most often do not ever fit perfect even with time.

Then sometimes we find a shoe or boot that we love but we just can't seem to get one that fits the way we want. There are some things you can do that will adjust some areas of the shoe to make things fit better. Now I may get crucified here for some of the things I am going to suggest you try because they can do damage if not done correctly or if over done.

So you have this 10.5 D that you have on trial from AE that is super nice of them. First if this is the best fitting size you have had and you feel none will be any better you may want to try the following to dial in the fit. So the only issue is the toe area you may want to give a few things a try and if you bring the shoe to a cobbler this is what they will do anyways.

Here are a few things that can get you some more room. Heat will soften leather and allow it to stretch. They make shoe stretch spray that is mostly water and some alcohol. So you want more room just in the toe and we don't want other parts to stretch. So you take an old thick junk sock and you cut off just the toes maybe 2 or tops 3 itches. You put this on your foot and now you put on your normal sock. Get your foot in the boot and if you get this right your toe should well be a bit crushed but applying pressure to the toe area. You can heat this a little again not crazy you are just warming the leather to make it more pliable. You can also wet the toe area with water (or if you want to buy or make the spray) then apply some heat and it will move. The thing here is you can if you are not careful cause especially light leathers to discolor, but I have yet to see this happen. If you do chose to wet it, you should make sure it is dry when you remove your foot so gently use the hair dryer. You can move your toes and this will put pressure on the area you need. Again some will speak harshly against this but this is what cobblers do. Also one time when I was at a shoebank (yup AE) and I had a shoe that was a little tight the sales guy took the shoe into the back. I had asked to use the restroom and I noticed him with a steam gun and a block stretcher. He was applying pressure where I said it was tight and then steaming it. The shoe fit good after and I still have this shoe today so I know that at least some AE stores do this.

Also in your case seems if this still does not get the boot to fit you can just return it to AE.

Do note that after you do heat or do anything to stretch things you want to apply leather conditioner to re-hydrate the leather.

Up you you in the end it's your foot your boot and you have to make the final call.

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I went with my brannock on the Liverpool and have a bit of "space" at the top above the ankle, but the boot itself is extremely snug around the entire foot. Not tight or constrictive, but a bit tighter than perfect. Should be perfect once broken in, and the space at the top doesn't concern me as there's zero slip in the boot, and I have dainty dancer's ankles.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for these snuff MD x AE chukkas. Went with my brannock, which is up 1/2 from my 5 last size. Ideally I would have gotten a C width, but the D will work, albeit with a little extra volume. I can see why everyone was so thrilled with them. Definitely a step up in quality and craftsmanship. When the fit is right, unlined suede can't be beat. I'd say the insides of these feel similar to my Amoks. The outside is much better though! Shape of these is smoother than the Amoks and significantly more sleek than my Gobis. Had these come directly from AE (and at $300+), I probably would have asked about 2nds pricing for the crooked eyelets. (Actual color is a little lighter than in the pics.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads