• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else in my general age range received similar comments?

Sometimes I get those comments, and I know a lot of my shoes could be considered "old man". I've never had a problem with it, because I mostly prefer classic style to modern trends. I prefer American / British shoes to Euro-looking shoes most of the time. I also don't mind going against the grain if it means I wear what I like.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my shoe and boot collection definitely skews heavily towards wingtips ( both long wings and short wings). I fairly commonly get compliments on my shoes, specifically " Nice wing tips, you don't see many people wearing them anymore" or " I like your wing tips, your grandfather would be proud", mostly from patients of mine. I'm a 34-year-old physician. I get that The style might seem a bit antiquated or old-fashioned to some people, but I'm always a little surprised when I hear it. I suppose most people my age and, more accurately, most men in general, wear pretty poor quality shoes anyway. I can't imagine there are too many Walmart wingtips floating around.

Anyway, I got a similar compliment today from one of my older coworkers. It was while wearing the chili Dalton boots I posted above. Personally, I find them one of my more tame and mundane shoes/boots, but I guess the presence of a wing tip design catch his eyes anyway.

Anyone else in my general age range received similar comments?

Yes followed by "are they cole haan?" haha. If they aren't wings or semi brogue though I think people just assume its the low quality stuff you see in a lot of department stores. I don't think I've ever received a compliments on my carlyles or hopkinsons except from someone that knows AE.

Last edited:

Middlife

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to get next? (I did just order some cordovan Daltons)
Great collection so far. I'd prob grab a pair the Dundees and HMs next since you are lacking in the boot and plain-toe department.

gooter

Reaction score

Great collection so far. I'd prob grab a pair the Dundees and HMs next since you are lacking in the boot and plain-toe department.
Thanks. I definitely need some plain toed additions- was looking at the Carlyle recently but wasn't familiar with their sizing.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to get next? (I did just order some cordovan Daltons)
Higgins Mill, a loafer of some sort or a split toe like a Delray. You've got solid collection going, but those are the holes I see.

Middlife

Reaction score
Thanks. I definitely need some plain toed additions- was looking at the Carlyle recently but wasn't familiar with their sizing.
The Carlyle is great. I find that it runs TTS, the same as my brannock (also my most comfortable shoe). I'm assuming your FAs are Chili so you could grab the Carlyle in brown or bourbon.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes followed by "are they cole haan?" haha. If they aren't wings or semi brogue though I think people just assume its the low quality stuff you see in a lot of department stores. I don't think I've ever received a compliments on my carlyles or hopkinsons except from someone that knows AE.
I've gotten a couple compliments on my burg shell Leeds, but I that they just thought they were shiny. As I said a few days ago, my most complimented shoe is my brown Strandmoks, which last week I decided to change out the stock flimsy cotton laces with a set of brown waxed laces and like the way they look

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes followed by "are they cole haan?"

I was asked this about my tan McTavish! When I responded that they were Allen Edmonds, the guy said, "who? I never heard of them."

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Snuff MD chukkas. I reach for these way too often.

lodemia

Reaction score

Boy, if you happen to spot some Bourbon on the Shoe Bank site, I guess you better move fast if you're interested. Anything that pops up seems to disappear within twenty-four hours. Saw some Strands pop up in my size last night. Now they're gone.

Related, I wonder how many shoes you can have held for you at a particular outlet or system-wide. It probably helps if you buy a pair every once in a while.

If they were the 12.5s you can blame me. If the don't work pm me and I'll let you have them for what I paid.

star656

Reaction score
Got my first MTO. Have some questions. Ordered Dalton Oxblood Danite and Strand Oxblood Danite (custom size). I love the shoes and the color, very happy in general. Pictured with my 4 year old long branch boots that I love dearly.

http://imgur.com/a/bWw7t

1. What are the care steps I should take with a burnished shoe like this? Should I wear a few times then give a light coat of venetian and brush well (that's pretty much the only care I have given other nicer shoes and boots)?
I have watched some youtube videos on 'reburnishing' with a very light coat of black polish. I plan on only using the oxblood polish/black burnish focally if there is a major scratch or something that ruins the look of the shoe.

2. On the strands, I noticed an area of polish is rubbed off. Very minor. Should I try and darken myself or AE to fix them up? Or is this just normal and I am being picky? Also a little bit of flash and rubbed off area on the side of the sole that I know I can darken with anything really.

3. Also on the strands, one shoe has some weird stitching on the sole, its almost like it was corrected with some black thread? They corrections pretty far, and none of the other danite soled shoes I have this issue.

4. Finally, I have this weird white stuff in the broguing. Should I just get the tiniest bit of black polish in there? I tried touching it to see if the white stuff came off but its just 'in there'

Thanks for the help, I apologize if I'm being too nit picky, just trying to learn more from the experts before asking AE to take another look at my strands.

Middlife

Reaction score

gooter

Reaction score

Higgins Mill, a loafer of some sort or a split toe like a Delray.  You've got solid collection going, but those are the holes I see.

I do have some Wolverine 1000 mile boots which are similar to the HM (I think)

The Carlyle is great. I find that it runs TTS, the same as my brannock (also my most comfortable shoe). I'm assuming your FAs are Chili so you could grab the Carlyle in brown or bourbon.

The FAs are actually brown. The McGregor in the second row are chili. Phone cameras aren't the best!

Thank you both for your input

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes I get those comments, and I know a lot of my shoes could be considered "old man".   I've never had a problem with it, because I mostly prefer classic style to modern trends.  I prefer American / British shoes to Euro-looking shoes most of the time. I also don't mind going against the grain if it means I wear what I like. 

Oh definitely, I've never taken any of those remarks negatively, nor do I think they are ever meant that way. It just caught me off guard at first.

I got complimented on my CJ Galway Brown grain boots by one of my 25 year old nurses a few days ago. I said thank you but wasn't even going to mention where I got them ("you ordered boots from England?") let alone the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads