• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingus2112

Reaction score

I have a rather high instep, so I was surprised when I tried on the Cavanaugh and they fit so well. The suede was the only one the store had in my size (9.5 3E), so I'm not sure how the regular calf leather would work.

I've heard time and again that the Cavanaugh is a tough fit for most people. I ordered navy suede cavanaughs and they were way too wide. My feet justl slipped out of them. i ordered a pair of Concord Ave seconds (same last, same size) for $47 because, at $47 --why not??, and they fit me perfectly. So I'm guessing the suede cavanaughs have much more room over the vamp than even other shoes on the same last - not sure why!

-J

Scarlet

Reaction score
Haven't worn my Cronmoks lately since they have a tendancy to cramp my left toes but they seemed right for today.

In the process of cleaning/conditioning/polishing all my AEs today. Did my Gobis and First Aves so far but needed to get out of the house for a bit 'cause the polish was getting to my head.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard time and again that the Cavanaugh is a tough fit for most people. I ordered navy suede cavanaughs and they were way too wide. My feet justl slipped out of them. i ordered a pair of Concord Ave seconds (same last, same size) for $47 because, at $47 --why not??, and they fit me perfectly. So I'm guessing the suede cavanaughs have much more room over the vamp than even other shoes on the same last - not sure why!

-J

Opposite for me- the Cavanaughs fit me perfectly, but I couldn't even get my feet in the Concord Ave in my usual size (10.5d)

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA : There is a burgundy cordovan size 36 belt on shoebank for $99. I bought and returned it because the middle piece was slightly rough and dry. I just didn't have the patience to try and make it work.

Newberry

Reaction score

Storage Question:  Do you guys keep your boxes for the shoes?  I have started stacking the smaller ones inside the bigger ones but I'm still running out of room! 

I use to do it for all my dress shoes, casual shoes and boots. Then I had to throw them out because my daughter was born and we needed more space.

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my suit quest, I came across something most of you probably know about already, O'Connell's Clothing. Loving their stuff! Anyone have opinions on the suits they offer? Fully canvassed models starting at $895. Does anyone know about how often they have sales and/or promotions?

Also, I noticed they have a few AE models on sale now (keeping somewhat on topic):

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Allen-Edmonds-Shoes/

Thanks!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haven't worn my Cronmoks lately since they have a tendancy to cramp my left toes but they seemed right for today.

In the process of cleaning/conditioning/polishing all my AEs today. Did my Gobis and First Aves so far but needed to get out of the house for a bit 'cause the polish was getting to my head.

That makes two of us wearing the brown Cronmok today, both in 13B.

FaRKle

Reaction score
This is disheartening - I've always used Saphir Renevateur on all my shoes (including walnut strands) and never had an issue. I assumed this was pretty close to the AE stuff. Is the new walnut (my strands are maybe 2 or 3 years old?) different? It's never changed colors on me!

-James
I've never used Saphir Renovatuer, but I suspect AE's Premium Conditioner is similar, based on descriptions of the smell and consistency of the Saphir. I can say it works great on waxy leathers like on the McT's and would guess the same on CXL.

I find AE conditioner/cleaner much more of a cleaner than conditioner. I have renovateur, VSC, and Bick 4. Bick 4 works the best for purely conditioning.

bkdc

Reaction score
In my suit quest, I came across something most of you probably know about already, O'Connell's Clothing. Loving their stuff! Anyone have opinions on the suits they offer? Fully canvassed models starting at $895. Does anyone know about how often they have sales and/or promotions?

Also, I noticed they have a few AE models on sale now (keeping somewhat on topic):

Thanks!
When it comes to jackets and suits, you need to try it on. You don't know what kind of cut or fit you're dealing with even if the size is your size. I'd rather buy a cheap fused suit that fits me perfectly than an expensive fully canvassed off the rack suit that fits poorly. No amount of tailoring can fix certain aspects of a jacket (like the crazy low armholes on most off the rack jackets)... and most jackets are cut to fit a generous belly these days. There's an extra 10 inches of girth in there that I just don't need on my trim belly. When I hit a certain price point for sport coats or suits, I'd rather go to my trusted tailor and get it MTM so I know it fits right. That price point is over $600 for a coat or $900 for a suit. I can get MTM for those prices but I don't like the fabrics. For a little more, I can get a much better fabric. He has my measurements so it's merely a phone call. When it comes to dress shirts, I won't buy it unless I've tried it on. Brooks Brothers Milano fit (the extra-slim fit, although it should be called slim and not extra-slim) finally has decent high armholes that doesn't make me look like a flying squirrel. It's almost as good as a MTM shirt, and there's no way I'm going to risk buying a shirt that fits poorly.

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't throw away boxes to anything important. I still have my nintendo game boxes from when I was a kid. I always say to myself "If I sell this someday, the person will want the box". My wife thinks I'm a little nuts.

Pretty sure my wife thinks I'm a lot of nuts and she might not be wrong. I've a hard time throwing the boxes away for anything that I care about. The wife, on the other hand, finds it much much easier.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score

Thanks!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find AE conditioner/cleaner much more of a cleaner than conditioner. I have renovateur, VSC, and Bick 4. Bick 4 works the best for purely conditioning.

Just in case it wasn't clear from my post, I was referring to the Premium Conditioner that comes in the small jar, not the conditioner/cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads