• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdgreg

Reaction score
Is the shoe on the right the Stratton, and is that a shoe stamp or a hammer stamp? It could be that they were recrafted, and ended up narrower after recrafting.

Also, Strattons are a balmoral and the MacNeil is a blucher, combined with the shorter length, that could explain tightness in the uppers, though not why your foot spills over the insole.

Thank you for the feedback - Yup, in the comparison pic the shoe on the right is the Stratton. The mark on the sole in the photo is just a smudge from wearing today, there is no marking to represent a recraft or second. I do wonder though if the MacNeil was ever re-crafted as the sole does not look like the traditional AE sole although the rubber heel does. Unfortunately I do not have an AE store anywhere around me, but I do have a Brooks Brothers store that sells AEs. I assume this may be frowned upon, but I may go into the BB store to try on different sizes/lasts for the sole purpose of pinpointing my size/width to then purchase more accurate on ebay, SF classifieds, or the seconds store.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback - Yup, in the comparison pic the shoe on the right is the Stratton. The mark on the sole in the photo is just a smudge from wearing today, there is no marking to represent a recraft or second. I do wonder though if the MacNeil was ever re-crafted as the sole does not look like the traditional AE sole although the rubber heel does. Unfortunately I do not have an AE store anywhere around me, but I do have a Brooks Brothers store that sells AEs. I assume this may be frowned upon, but I may go into the BB store to try on different sizes/lasts for the sole purpose of pinpointing my size/width to then purchase more accurate on ebay, SF classifieds, or the seconds store.

If thats your plan, I would try Nordstroms if there is one near you. The BB AE's have poron insoles, which some claim effects their sizing.

Edit: Its not uncommon to size different on different lasts, or balmorals vs bluchers on the same last, even the same shoe in different leathers. So make sure you try a variety of shoes and take notes.

Last edited:

NorseHorse

Reaction score

Walnut First Avenue boots: How would I wear them?

With just about anything you'd wear a normal non formal shoe. I wear my walnut first aves with chinos, jeans and casual suits to my office.

Edited: thought you said Daltons, not first aves!

My walnut first aves were my first purchase and they are my favorite pair I own.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the feedback - Yup, in the comparison pic the shoe on the right is the Stratton.  The mark on the sole in the photo is just a smudge from wearing today, there is no marking to represent a recraft or second.  I do wonder though if the MacNeil was ever re-crafted as the sole does not look like the traditional AE sole although the rubber heel does.  Unfortunately I do not have an AE store anywhere around me, but I do have a Brooks Brothers store that sells AEs.  I assume this may be frowned upon, but I may go into the BB store to try on different sizes/lasts for the sole purpose of pinpointing my size/width to then purchase more accurate on ebay, SF classifieds, or the seconds store. 

I think that is a great idea to go to BB to get fitted, although they may have limited selection of widths. I went to the AE store to get fitted over the weekend, then returned a ill fitting pair of strands to Nordstrom and they did not have the 12B that I needed. They informed me that they typically only carry the D width in AE shoes unless someone returned an odd size to that location. So you might want to contact BB and ask if they have a variety of sizes before you go.

Otherwise I would definitely read up on how to size yourself because you never know if you'll have someone helping you that is knowledgable. This came back to haunt me after my Norstrom purchase and I bought several more 11Ds that I'm trying to figure out what to do with at the moment. So make sure you get it right! Definitely use a brannock and look into each last to find how it should fit based on that.

Last edited:

mykoh

Reaction score
The online sizing indicator is imperfect, at best. So much depends on how the printer is calibrated, assuming it's used perfectly . . . the online indicator has me as a 12E, but I'm actually an 11D.

Based on the picture and your explanation, my best guess is that you are a 6.5E or 6.5EE. You don't have a ton of extra volume in the 6.5D, but it does not look too long, so I suspect you are not a 7. The pressure indicated in the photo is where I have an issue with the 65 last (5th Ave, Strand, etc.) as well; I'm an 11D in most AE shoes, but 11E in Strands (11.5D in a casual shoe, which has more padding, also works for me. Is the pressure from the side or front of your toe, or both? Does it feel uncomfortably tight, or more like your foot is being strangled? If it feels a bit too tight, 6.5E might be about right.

This is an imperfect rule of thumb, but for width my experience is that going up a half size does about the same as going up a width. In other words, your 6.5D shoes will be narrower than 7D, but 6.5E would be about the same width as 7D. There is a huge difference between that and 7EEE, mainly in the overall volume of the shoe, but the 7EEE would be something like 9/16" (~1.4cm) wider than the 7D (which would be similar to 6.5E). How thick an insole did you put in the 7EEE? If more than a very thin strip of leather with minimal padding, that is not the correct width for you.

Bottom line: my best guess, which is probably wrong, is that you are a 6.5E. Because the 65 last is a bit difficult to fit, it's possible you are a 6.5EE in that particular last.

Best of luck!

THIS.

I'm wearing McAllisters 6.5E right now and what a difference going up in width makes.
The tips of my last two toes on my right foot are touching the edge of the shoe a little, but it's definitely not as cramped as the 6.5D.
A 6.5EE would probably be ideal, or even a 6.5EEE. Which would likely help with the V-gap as well?

Now i have 2 pairs in 6.5D that i need to offload.. lol
Thanks so much advice everyone, you guys are amazing.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rubik1014 Did you really see a 6.5D rogue on there? Please tell me you meant 6.5E. They start all the full run styles in 6.5E so a D would have been unusual. I'd love to try a rogue in a 6.5D. The 7D was super large but I wasn't sure whether I would need a 7B or 6.5D. The 201 is certainly "interesting" - as someone with high arches the balmorals fit better but with the bluchers I'm overloaded with extra volume.

Last edited:

Scarlet

Reaction score
Maiden voyage of the Freiburgs today. I know I thought these would be relegated to denim duty but I thought this shirt today would pair great. (With some tan chinos). The shoes bring out the reddish brown stripe in the shirt.
Short wing and denim today as well. I broke my personal rule on balmorals and jeans as my Cambridge hadn't been out in a while.
Nice combos guys.

It's not Walnut Wednesday, but I feel the Flatiron calling my name today.
Gawwwgeous.

Last edited:

FaRKle

Reaction score
The 201 is certainly "interesting" - as someone with high arches the balmorals fit better but with the bluchers I'm overloaded with extra volume.

Agreed. Comparing my 201 to 65 last shoes it seems like the 201 H-B is a half size longer (and the shoe itself is longer overall)...

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THIS.

I'm wearing McAllisters 6.5E right now and what a difference going up in width makes.
The tips of my last two toes on my right foot are touching the edge of the shoe a little, but it's definitely not as cramped as the 6.5D.
A 6.5EE would probably be ideal, or even a 6.5EEE. Which would likely help with the V-gap as well?

Now i have 2 pairs in 6.5D that i need to offload.. lol
Thanks so much advice everyone, you guys are amazing.

Definitely try to get your hands on a 6.5EE (in a balmoral like the McAllister) and check that as I feel your going to lose fitment in the heels on a EEE. Since the 6.5E improved you, I still think you should try a 7E. If you are OK with the length on the 7E, your V-gap should improve a bit.

Last edited:

robster35

Reaction score
does this V-gap look ok? this was the only pic i took trying on some Strands the other day just so id know what size to order when i find a deal. on the brannock device my foot is just a hair under being a D width and a touch under 11 in length. the 10.5 was too long but this 10D seemed to fit very well if a bit snug but not uncomfortable

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. (I have never heard of a Corthay shine.)

Corthay are some of the most beautiful shoes I've ever seen. Spoilered for non-AE content.

Although it is perhaps more properly called an applied patina. Their Arca is one of my grails.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does this V-gap look ok? this was the only pic i took trying on some Strands the other day just so id know what size to order when i find a deal. on the brannock device my foot is just a hair under being a D width and a touch under 11 in length. the 10.5 was too long but this 10D seemed to fit very well if a bit snug but not uncomfortable

V gap looks normal. I would say you are in the clear, but make sure there is no bowing at the ankles or excess leather across your mid foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads