• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is helpful, thanks. Was thinking brown specifically - pair with jeans, khakis (especially blue), etc. I suspect I wouldn't wear them with business wear, but don't have any suede in the lineup and can't quite project the use. I'm worried about this exactly - not using them often, but it sounds like that is more a function of color in your situation....
FWIW, I have plans for navy, but very specifically in shell (just waiting for the fabled trunk show), and I'm quite sure I would wear them a ton ... but I can see how blue suede would be a bit on the nose.

Login

Reaction score
What do you guys do in the winter for your shoes?

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone see the Massdrop for Saphir Cream Polishes and Conditioner (2-Pack)

Thoughs???

With shipping, you're only saving a couple of bucks. I passed last time this was up. If you're buying in volume and get discounted shipping for multiple pairs, may be worth it ...

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone see the Massdrop for Saphir Cream Polishes and Conditioner (2-Pack)

Thoughs???

I just recently picked up some Saphir neutral cream polish. It's an amazing product. It not only brings out the best of the color, it polishes extremely well. I could get by with this product alone to shine my shoes.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is helpful, thanks. Was thinking brown specifically - pair with jeans, khakis (especially blue), etc. I suspect I wouldn't wear them with business wear, but don't have any suede in the lineup and can't quite project the use. I'm worried about this exactly - not using them often, but it sounds like that is more a function of color in your situation....
FWIW, I have plans for navy, but very specifically in shell (just waiting for the fabled trunk show), and I'm quite sure I would wear them a ton ... but I can see how blue suede would be a bit on the nose.

Navy natural leather is easier to pair in my experience, well I mean midnight navy. Casual is what I do sometimes too, but It won't work well with some of my jeans because there's just a mis-match in blues. I like it best with grey and light blue-ish khakis. Anyway, get what YOU want, I'm just giving my 2 cents. Nothing wrong with suede blue if it works for you.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys do in the winter for your shoes?

I live in NYC and wear boots 95% of the time during winter. I apply thin coat of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP for water resistance and protection against salt. It alters the color slightly, but I don't mind. I rather have that than deal with wet shoes and leather that's ruined from all the road salt. All my boots are from calf/cow hide.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone see the Massdrop for Saphir Cream Polishes and Conditioner (2-Pack)

Thoughs???
I've used it a couple times to stock up, and I'm glad I did. Saved a few bucks on stuff I would have bought anyway. If you're not in a rush, highly recommended.

Their cream polishes are great - I got brown and neutral, plus I added a couple jars of the Renovateur. The cream polishes are very nourishing and look great. The Renovateur is better than Venetian Shoe Cream and Bick 4 in my experience, though I do own and like those other products as well.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snuff Gobi and coords for a rainy and chilly Monday. I blame these (and my milkshake Amoks) for me passing on the MD chukkas.

sruchris

Reaction score
Then I have way too much heel clearance and the shoe does not fit. But the 511 in the proper length really pains my pinky toe. The last is just not for me. Neither is the 65 last. The only AE lasts in dress shoes that will fit are the 7 and the 201 as well as the new casual lasts for the Higgins Mill and Academy. And I've tried them all. Funny because I can get almost all of Alden's lasts to fit me except the very tight Aberdeen.

We must have similar shaped feet. I've tried every possible combination of lengths and widths and the 511 last just doesn't fit me. My pinky toe is pinched or the shoe is too long or too wide. I've had luck with the 65 last (size 10E) and widening the toe box with a shoe stretcher.

I went with a 9.5E in the Higgins Mill and it's too long by a 1/2in and a hair too wide in the heel, vamp and throat. I'm now wondering if I should return them for a 9E or a 9.5D.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We must have similar shaped feet. I've tried every possible combination of lengths and widths and the 511 last just doesn't fit me. My pinky toe is pinched or the shoe is too long or too wide. I've had luck with the 65 last (size 10E) and widening the toe box with a home shoe stretcher.

I went with a 9.5E in the Higgins Mill and it's too long by a 1/2in. I'm now wondering if I should return them for a 9E or a 9.5D.

Going down a whole size for the HM?! I know everyone's foot is different, but this sounds crazy to me.
I tried 9D (~90% of my AEs; all but 1 of my 65 lasts) in the HM but thought it was short, with too much volume. Ended up going with 9.5B.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: the Massdrop Saphir- I'll probably get some, that's a really good price from what I've seen
RE: suede Strands- mine are the same size as my other 5 last shoes (McA, calf Strands, etc). Speaking of suede Strands...

...cold, gray, and wet today:

And since y'all seemed to like the tweed on Friday, today is RL tweed with a Brooks wool tie:

Last edited:

sruchris

Reaction score
Going down a whole size for the HM?! I know everyone's foot is different, but this sounds crazy to me.
I tried 9D (~90% of my AEs; all but 1 of my 65 lasts) in the HM but thought it was short, with too much volume. Ended up going with 9.5B.
I'm going to try a 9.5D next. I compared my 10E 65 last shoes to the 9.5E HM and the HM was noticeably longer and wider. Also, the back of my heel on the HM pushed the leather out a bit too, thus adding even more length. I tried adding an insole and thicker socks but it only slightly helped.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sruchris This is the higgins we're talking about, right? I agree with @middlepP, I can't picture this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads