• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100 pound weight loss picture

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razuel
Yep, unfortunately that's something I have to deal with. It's better than being 300 pounds though. Luckily, I'm young and within a few years the skin should tighten quite a bit and marks fade a lot.

Congrats on your weight loss though!

Originally Posted by TheHoff
Depends on your age, how quickly you lost the weight, how long you were obese, and most importantly, genetics. So realistically they may never go away or they may disappear completely -- everyone is different with so many factors.

Aren't there creams used by pregnant women to help these disappear faster?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The simple answer is, "Probably not." Research published in Dermatologic Surgery (April 1999, pages 311–315), concluded that the "...study shows that there is no benefit to the cosmetic outcome of scars by applying vitamin E after skin surgery and that the application of topical vitamin E may actually be detrimental to the cosmetic appearance of a scar. In 90% of the cases in this study, topical vitamin E either had no effect on, or actually worsened, the cosmetic appearance of scars. Of the patients studied, 33% developed a contact dermatitis to the vitamin E." The study was done double-blind "with patients given two ointments each labeled A or B. A was Aquaphor, a regular emollient, and the B was Aquaphor mixed with vitamin E. Patients were asked to put the A ointment on part A and the B ointment on part B twice daily for 4 weeks." Antioxidants are an option for skin, but for preventing scars vitamin E applied on the skin doesn't appear to be one of them.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=28 I don't know what the latest research is but I think most of the creams have been shown to have little, if any, effect.

kakemono

Reaction score
I wonder if getting them sunburnt helps... like, get sunburnt and your skin peels off, haha. I dunno. Its really bad on me b/c I am naturally very tan. Tan enough that my skin is the same as the asians I know... and the scars are pale.

Congratulations on your 100lb weight loss though!!! I know it feels great when you meet poeple you havent seen since your weight loss and they don't recognize you. I wouldnt mind dropping another 10-20lbs.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Aren't there creams used by pregnant women to help these disappear faster?
No, shea butter creams and the like help prevent them. They'll do very little to help them fade.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
coco butter

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I have minor stretchmarks in my love handles area. Asked my dermatologist about it and he said shea butter and cocoa butter don't do anything. He offered to sell me a 1 oz tube of some cream (for $135) or he said I could take 1000 mg Vitamin C pills WITH bioflavonoids. I found some 1000 mg vitamin C pills with 500 mg bioflavonoids at a health food store and it really did make a difference -- even though I only took one or two pills a week (I'm leery of vitamin megadosing). Drugstore won't have them, so don't bother looking there. I've seen Solgar pills which are bioflavonoids only but haven't tried those yet.

Dermatologist says stretch marks can heal IF they are red, but if they turn white it's too late. Tanning makes them much less noticeable (and he's OK with moderate tanning... "just never get burned").

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
late to the party here, but congratulations man...just - wow. I dropped 7 kilo earlier this year - when I got sick of people touching my gut and asking me when I was due. I found it was actually quite easy for me once I got off ****** and went back to boxing, and gave up one of my great vices (Coke, I used to chain drink the stuff. I didnt give it up altogether, but completely switched to Diet, and the huge drop in my sugar intake made a difference). Anyhow, I look and feel so much better for having it gone, but couldnt imagine what kind of effort it would take to shed five times that amount...so well done. Now go out n get yourself laid
smile.gif

thepataphysician

Reaction score
i think mederma is the cream that you guys are talking about. it works on scars, i had a scar on my chin from a bike crash about a year ago that looked kind of like i had a bruise on my chin all the time. anyway, the mederma cream lightened it and made it pretty much disappear. they sell it at drug stores. i think it is supposed to work on stretch marks as well.

congrats on the weight loss.

falsestart

Reaction score
Just caught this thread.......dude you are amazing! It's great when people go after their goals and succeed, you're looking great. Thumbs up on the olas and shoes

Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads