• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a pair of games :

magnus and hans rematch ! the commentary is hilarious . magnus , ever the master , refuses to develop and then forces a draw via back-to-back brilliant moves . truly amazing .

also :

lol

lol

Kramnik needs a new hobby and some cram courses in rudimentary statistical analysis.

I am getting over a stomach bug and my wife is out of town but my MIL is in town, so I am just feeling wonky, which led to this game. I never play c3 in the opening, so after that, not only am I completely out of prep, but I also have no plan, other than to defend everything, and attack and trade pieces. King safety? What is that? f4 and then g4? Why the hell not?

Incidentally, the discovered attack on the rook is completely unplanned, and I completely miss it for 2 moves chasing the queen, which I tend to do sometimes, I don't even realize that I am a full rook and knight up until it's the endgame, nor really that I basically have no pawn structure to speak of. That said, I can promote a queen and just sloppily ladder mate. This felt like chess on drugs to me. Usually, I am much less loose, and very conscientious about king safety, try to find dilemmas for my opponent, etc... but not this time.

I felt like I was winning, but I could have 100% gotten checkmated or threw at any point as well:

bUMyVWxCOTJndlpSa0FZSUJJNVpJUjg5YnM3UFIwITBmbVBJY3VJR3ZCWlRlZ0dLbkRLR0JyR1lDSzBMdUk5IUtUMlRzSlk3b0VUamFialRKVDdURUw2TElCVEZtdEZ4dEx4TEI_IT9kSjQ2SkxVTHJsWFBiZTYhZ25XR2ZnIWdlZzNWZ2I_IWJQITNBSTFUSVFWTlFZM1VZflUyNlkyVVlRVTNRVEd5UFgzIVQ3.gif

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hang on @LA Guy i dipped into your bot games did you play the cow ?! lol !

so far as ^ that game they might have checked you idk why not ?

but sure next time you do drugs or in-laws pm me here we can play ! otherwise i don't use my acct , i cancelled but it appears to still be active so ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hang on @LA Guy i dipped into your bot games did you play the cow ?! lol !

so far as ^ that game they might have checked you idk why not ?

but sure next time you do drugs or in-laws pm me here we can play ! otherwise i don't use my acct , i cancelled but it appears to still be active so ?
I was in chat when Anna won the bet that everyone had to play the cow. I didn’t feel like playing it against the pool on any account mostly because I’m sick, but I did feel compelled to play at least one game using it. It is sorta fun insofar as you really do n need to make some fast tactical decisions fairly early on.

And yes, there were chances to check, but that’s part of why I just traded as well. I’m not just up material, but it’s hard to really create threats with very little material. You can still checkmate yourself, but typically I’m only if you try to be fancy in the endgame. I’ve seen it a couple of times, but luckily for my pride, have not yet.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I play some dumb chess moves, but speed kills... as in this 4 sec checkmate 😭 😂

1000015803.gif

Possibly a new record but unsure, the ol' F7 blitz (as white ..) might have been faster.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play some dumb chess moves, but speed kills... as in this 4 sec checkmate 😭 😂

View attachment 2128521

Possibly a new record but unsure, the ol' F7 blitz (as white ..) might have been faster.
lol. White is never going to forget that the correct response to the Scandinavian after queen takes is Nc3, forcing the queen back, ever again.

Wait, is this what you were trying to do to me?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. White is never going to forget that the correct response to the Scandinavian after queen takes is Nc3, forcing the queen back, ever again.

Wait, is this what you were trying to do to me?
Right?? It'll be a long time before that happens again to them.

Quite possibly was, literally just blindly will make those as Black up to and including my fourth move.

Terrible opening, but lots of options to wreak havoc in case white responds poorly.

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
I take on d5, go Qb3+, and catch your King naked in the middle of the board. If you prefer full line, Rxd5 Kxd5 Qb3+ Kc6 (Kxd4 Rg4+ and mate shortly) Be4+ and black is losing both rooks by force!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take on d5, go Qb3+, and catch your King naked in the middle of the board. If you prefer full line, Rxd5 Kxd5 Qb3+ Kc6 (Kxd4 Rg4+ and mate shortly) Be4+ and black is losing both rooks by force!
Instead of taking, can Black not counter attack with Qh4+, and there is a continuation from there? It looks complicated to me, but I’m a noob and an probably missing something stupid.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yep you got it ! as you say the idea was to suck the king into the center by saccing the ROOOOOOOK and continue the checkmate assault with Qb3 . not a lot of great options for black after that .

Instead of taking, can Black not counter attack with Qh4+, and there is a continuation from there? It looks complicated to me, but I’m a noob and an probably missing something stupid.

if black doesn't take the free rook and counters with qh4 or maybe qh2 the threat can be easily parried ( black queen is on an island due to her undeveloped rooks ) and now white's 2nd rook is back in play .

btw i routinely discount my opponent's undeveloped pieces when i compare material idk if other folks do that but it helps me contextualize sacrifices . so after black king takes the rook i'm technically down 3 in this scenario but really i'm more like up 7 b/c black's pieces are in such poor position .

thanks for playing ! fun stuff .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics