• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this the appropriate thread for more complaining about modern truck design?

I rode in the front seat of a recent GM 2500 series truck the other day and even though I KNOW this is an issue, I was blown away by my inability to see in front of me. It was significantly worse than the F250 (older gen) that I've ridden the same road in. The ******* hood just bulges and you can't see the road in front of you.

Honestly, it made it far shittier for doing "truck stuff". We were going up a crappy narrow dirt/logging access road with some active bike traffic, including kids, that's not open to public cars. The lack of frontal view means you can't actually see the road (or the *edge* of the road!) closest to the truck...which obviously makes it much harder to figure out where to put the wheels to avoid ruts, rocks, children, etc.
Someone (maybe even me) posted a study that suggested that the people most in danger from that front blind spot are your own children.

Waiting for the dealer to confirm whether my batteries are shot, apparently they are running a 4 hour test. Should have car back tomorrow.

In other news, wanted to weigh in on EV ownership after about ~6 months with the EQB. All in all, it has exceeded expectations. The EQB has been what we expected it to be - size is great for our family, easy to park, range is more than fine, etc. I still think it's ugly but not so ugly that it matters. One complaint is that the high-speed charging isn't fast enough but honestly it matters so little. This is in large part because it charges at its maximum speed (100kw) pretty much the whole time I'm plugged into the charger. Some cars may say they charge at 250kw+, but that is a peak rate they barely hit, so overall we only spend a few extra minutes per fast charge plus we are perfectly happy at the 150kw chargers and don't have to seek out the 350s.

The rest of this rant is less about the EQB specifically and more about EVs as a whole.

First - I don't think EVs get enough credit for allowing you to avoid gas stations for daily driving. If we had an ICE as our daily, we would have filled up at least 10-12 times during that span, and each time would be an annoyance. This is exacerbated by where we live and the places we most commonly drive, but it's basically always annoying to have to go out of my way to fill up the car and I don't miss it one bit.

Second - the extra annoyance from charging batteries on road trips doesn't come anywhere close to neutralizing the first benefit. We have a cheat code here since we mostly take the Jeep on road trips, but we also have one of the more extreme usage cases - we probably drove had 20 trips to the mountains (200 miles each way) this winter. We did take the EV on 2 road trips, and I didn't find charging super annoying because it wasn't really out of the way (similar to gas stations). I'm not at the point where I would want to deal with the extra hassle of going EV only given how frequently we need to go to the mountains, but for most people I would guess the benefits of in home charging far outweighs the road trip penalty.

Third - Everyone talks about how EVs are appliances and not as fun as ICE vehicles, but I think they have it backward. Compared to 99%+ of the cars on the road, EV's are more fun. The powertrain benefits, even in a slow EV like mine, is obvious. The linear acceleration and the powertrain smoothness is phenomenal. Sure, it's not a Ferrari V-12, but neither was my clattery Subaru Flat 4 or the vast majority of "premium" cars these days which have direct injection 2L turbo 4s. And, the low center of gravity from the thousand pounds of batteries really does help with handling. Unless you are driving one of the best performing ICE powertrains in a sports car, almost any EV will be more enjoyable to drive. Our EQB is significantly "slower" than our GLC was but feels much faster and the handling is great (fwiw, we were quite happy with the GLC performance and handling).

Obviously EVs aren't for everyone. I'm not quite ready to replace my Jeep with a Rivian, but I'm pretty damn close at this point. I'm mostly here to say that I now think so much of the classic anti-EV arguments about them being clinical appliances is really only applicable if your alternative is a real performance car and even there, I think EVs are pretty competitive. All this talk about EVs being soulless compared to high end sports cars is ridiculous. Cars don't have souls, they have performance characteristics. The holy grail of an ICE engine would more or less be an EV that sounds better. A good friend of mine was firmly in the EVs are soulless appliance camps (he's got a 911 and a 430 in his garage) and recently got a Lucid. His wife was annoyed at him for getting the Lucid but after a week she's mad at him for not getting 2. He's not getting rid of his sports cars but he doesn't talk about his Lucid being soulless.

tl;dr 99%+ of motor vehicles on the road are soulless, and EVs are more fun than almost all of those soulless vehicles. People who are cross-shopping an EV against a Cayman or F8 have plenty of reasons to avoid an EV for now but for your run of the mill enthusiast car (5-series, etc.), the soulless argument is unlikely to be valid.
I agree, it’s just that the internet is still dominated by the enthusiast echo chamber. You know, the people who started their internet careers recommended the e46 m3 to everyone who needed a family, road trip, commuter, off-road, or amphibious assault vehicle.

The MB electric SUv tries at least to look like it’s gas equivalent. The MB electric cars try to look like a 1.3x Prius
Pity the poor (not literally, obviously) GT3 owners in Manhattan.

How high do you have to rev a 997 Carrera S to exceed 90db? The motor redlines at like 7000 so I seriously, seriously doubt that thing was stock

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nine months into EV-hood with only a 110v charger. It's all good.

The vehicle is fun to drive, ultra smooth (smoother than my old douche mobiles, which is really saying something,) and handles well. Exceedingly quiet. My only two gripes would be is it doesn't sit as high as I would like and is a little smaller than I like.

Agreed not having to tank up is nice but I've had to buy a squeegee.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Waiting for the dealer to confirm whether my batteries are shot, apparently they are running a 4 hour test. Should have car back tomorrow.

In other news, wanted to weigh in on EV ownership after about ~6 months with the EQB. All in all, it has exceeded expectations. The EQB has been what we expected it to be - size is great for our family, easy to park, range is more than fine, etc. I still think it's ugly but not so ugly that it matters. One complaint is that the high-speed charging isn't fast enough but honestly it matters so little. This is in large part because it charges at its maximum speed (100kw) pretty much the whole time I'm plugged into the charger. Some cars may say they charge at 250kw+, but that is a peak rate they barely hit, so overall we only spend a few extra minutes per fast charge plus we are perfectly happy at the 150kw chargers and don't have to seek out the 350s.

The rest of this rant is less about the EQB specifically and more about EVs as a whole.

First - I don't think EVs get enough credit for allowing you to avoid gas stations for daily driving. If we had an ICE as our daily, we would have filled up at least 10-12 times during that span, and each time would be an annoyance. This is exacerbated by where we live and the places we most commonly drive, but it's basically always annoying to have to go out of my way to fill up the car and I don't miss it one bit.

Second - the extra annoyance from charging batteries on road trips doesn't come anywhere close to neutralizing the first benefit. We have a cheat code here since we mostly take the Jeep on road trips, but we also have one of the more extreme usage cases - we probably drove had 20 trips to the mountains (200 miles each way) this winter. We did take the EV on 2 road trips, and I didn't find charging super annoying because it wasn't really out of the way (similar to gas stations). I'm not at the point where I would want to deal with the extra hassle of going EV only given how frequently we need to go to the mountains, but for most people I would guess the benefits of in home charging far outweighs the road trip penalty.

Third - Everyone talks about how EVs are appliances and not as fun as ICE vehicles, but I think they have it backward. Compared to 99%+ of the cars on the road, EV's are more fun. The powertrain benefits, even in a slow EV like mine, is obvious. The linear acceleration and the powertrain smoothness is phenomenal. Sure, it's not a Ferrari V-12, but neither was my clattery Subaru Flat 4 or the vast majority of "premium" cars these days which have direct injection 2L turbo 4s. And, the low center of gravity from the thousand pounds of batteries really does help with handling. Unless you are driving one of the best performing ICE powertrains in a sports car, almost any EV will be more enjoyable to drive. Our EQB is significantly "slower" than our GLC was but feels much faster and the handling is great (fwiw, we were quite happy with the GLC performance and handling).

Obviously EVs aren't for everyone. I'm not quite ready to replace my Jeep with a Rivian, but I'm pretty damn close at this point. I'm mostly here to say that I now think so much of the classic anti-EV arguments about them being clinical appliances is really only applicable if your alternative is a real performance car and even there, I think EVs are pretty competitive. All this talk about EVs being soulless compared to high end sports cars is ridiculous. Cars don't have souls, they have performance characteristics. The holy grail of an ICE engine would more or less be an EV that sounds better. A good friend of mine was firmly in the EVs are soulless appliance camps (he's got a 911 and a 430 in his garage) and recently got a Lucid. His wife was annoyed at him for getting the Lucid but after a week she's mad at him for not getting 2. He's not getting rid of his sports cars but he doesn't talk about his Lucid being soulless.

tl;dr 99%+ of motor vehicles on the road are soulless, and EVs are more fun than almost all of those soulless vehicles. People who are cross-shopping an EV against a Cayman or F8 have plenty of reasons to avoid an EV for now but for your run of the mill enthusiast car (5-series, etc.), the soulless argument is unlikely to be valid.
Can it make it to Tahoe on one charge? Dunno much about the EQB, but 200mi seems like it should be doable, even on the uphill side.

If so, it seems like the solution is a charger at the ski rental.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads