• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CHESS Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
black has a sacrifice to checkmate . find the brilliant move :

Screenshot 2024-03-02 3.54.07 PM.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm.... ng6, g6x, then qh8?

i think that that is a checkmate by force, yes? I really want it to be a queen sack though...

reverse the notation but yes !

nb3 clears the path for the queen check on a1 and battery checkmate at b1 . and yes it is forced after this move , white might have given up their queen to remove the knight threat .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reverse the notation but yes !

nb3 clears the path for the queen check on a1 and battery checkmate at b1 . and yes it is forced after this move , white might have given up their queen to remove the knight threat .
Right, sorry, I only know notation looking from the white side, and have the mirror everything, and often forget.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, sorry, I only know notation looking from the white side, and have the mirror everything, and often forget.

have you ever explored alternative notation systems ? there are some interesting ways of slicing it , they used to refer to pawns by their origin pieces etc . imho it changes the view

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you ever explored alternative notation systems ? there are some interesting ways of slicing it , they used to refer to pawns by their origin pieces etc . imho it changes the view
No. When I can speak this language fluently, I might take a look around though. Right now, I am at ~1400 level, though I have beaten players ranked as high as 2000 on Chess.com. My publicly known profile, one which I nearly exclusively play bots, shows my level of play in rapid and blitz, though I have yet to play a bullet game. Once I have a few more openings a bit better understood, and once I have a better understanding of pawn structures and end game concepts, I'll certainly try to expand my learning further.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. When I can speak this language fluently, I might take a look around though. Right now, I am at ~1400 level, though I have beaten players ranked as high as 2000 on Chess.com. My publicly known profile, one which I nearly exclusively play bots, shows my level of play in rapid and blitz, though I have yet to play a bullet game. Once I have a few more openings a bit better understood, and once I have a better understanding of pawn structures and end game concepts, I'll certainly try to expand my learning further.

the acc't that I know seems to play the one bot nearly exclusively and i also notice plays exclusively as white . but if you say 1400 ok i guess ? what is your rating playing as black ?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyways here are my current openings :

as white I play bird's opening f4 followed by nf3 .

as black it depends : if white goes e4 I will go with pirc so d6 followed by nf6 . if white goes d4 it's Indian game nf6 .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the acc't that I know seems to play the one bot nearly exclusively and i also notice plays exclusively as white . but if you say 1400 ok i guess ? what is your rating playing as black ?
My rating is just under 1400, but I win about 80% of the games as white, and about 40% of the games as black, so.... yes, I need to practice as black much more. Chess.com regularly rates my white games 200+ points above my rating, and my black is much more variable (and lower), with that peak and valley on my eval that indicates chaotic play. My account shows significantly higher wins to losses (compared to the generally expected) but apparently not statistically too anomalous.) That's because I play about 10-1 number of bot vs. human games, which I am told is unusual (to prefer training to play),

Sorry, I'm a private person, but am fairly exposed on the internet because of what I do, and so I enjoy a bit of anonymity.

I play bots to study lines (so, I end up playing Caro Kann Advance, French Advance, Sicilian, Latvian gambit, and Scotch game, most of the time) and practice tactics. Bots at that level play similar games. I play the same bot simply because I just hit "New Game" and blast through to a new training game, that's all. Scrolling through seems to a be a PITA, especially since I don't really care about the dialogue or whatever. It's just canned responses. I sometimes play on mobile, a the dialogue is not even visible, and I am simply playing the game without the person. However, I can understand why some players (Anna Cramling, for example), prefer to play people, because they are some what more predictable in the types of tactics and tricks that they fall for and what they see. You don't need to take my word for it, you can ask @greekgeek , who I've played twice, and we have gone in detail over the ideas and then tricks in the games together.

If you look at my bot games, you'll see a red a couple of days ago. I was playing a Scotch, and my son (12) decided that he wanted to backseat it, and when I told him that he needed to count attackers and defenders before taking on a space, he decided that his intuition was fine, and so I said "Okay, you can drive". Results, predictable, even when I warned him against some moves that turned out to be disastrous, and then one in which I told him that he was not making the most out of a tactic. But hey, some people like learning the hard way.

I've listened to GM Hammer commentate the Botez sisters classical tournament games in the past few days, and actually gotten some very useful advice on how to think of contesting a square, and how the move of a pawn changes things completely, and also on what to think about on a take, whether I want a certain file opened up, whether the opponent's doubled pawns are actually a hindrance, how to choose between short and long term advantages (like keeping the bishop pair, etc...) Learning is fun.

That's my brain dump about the last few months of the 10 months since I learned the rules. No real goals this year (that I just find stressful), but it would be nice to get to be consistently 1600 ELO.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rating is just under 1400, but I win about 80% of the games as white, and about 40% of the games as black, so.... yes, I need to practice as black much more. Chess.com regularly rates my white games 200+ points above my rating, and my black is much more variable (and lower), with that peak and valley on my eval that indicates chaotic play. My account shows significantly higher wins to losses (compared to the generally expected) but apparently not statistically too anomalous.) That's because I play about 10-1 number of bot vs. human games, which I am told is unusual (to prefer training to play),

Sorry, I'm a private person, but am fairly exposed on the internet because of what I do, and so I enjoy a bit of anonymity.

I play bots to study lines (so, I end up playing Caro Kann Advance, French Advance, Sicilian, Latvian gambit, and Scotch game, most of the time) and practice tactics. Bots at that level play similar games. I play the same bot simply because I just hit "New Game" and blast through to a new training game, that's all. Scrolling through seems to a be a PITA, especially since I don't really care about the dialogue or whatever. It's just canned responses. I sometimes play on mobile, a the dialogue is not even visible, and I am simply playing the game without the person. However, I can understand why some players (Anna Cramling, for example), prefer to play people, because they are some what more predictable in the types of tactics and tricks that they fall for and what they see. You don't need to take my word for it, you can ask @greekgeek , who I've played twice, and we have gone in detail over the ideas and then tricks in the games together.

If you look at my bot games, you'll see a red a couple of days ago. I was playing a Scotch, and my son (12) decided that he wanted to backseat it, and when I told him that he needed to count attackers and defenders before taking on a space, he decided that his intuition was fine, and so I said "Okay, you can drive". Results, predictable, even when I warned him against some moves that turned out to be disastrous, and then one in which I told him that he was not making the most out of a tactic. But hey, some people like learning the hard way.

I've listened to GM Hammer commentate the Botez sisters classical tournament games in the past few days, and actually gotten some very useful advice on how to think of contesting a square, and how the move of a pawn changes things completely, and also on what to think about on a take, whether I want a certain file opened up, whether the opponent's doubled pawns are actually a hindrance, how to choose between short and long term advantages (like keeping the bishop pair, etc...) Learning is fun.

That's my brain dump about the last few months of the 10 months since I learned the rules. No real goals this year (that I just find stressful), but it would be nice to get to be consistently 1600 ELO.

80 / 40 is telling me there's room to explore as black . e4 obv super common but I never play it myself so I don't have that sense of line that I do when I play against something that I use and study .

lately as white , playing f4 opening I win ~60% . as black i've mostly been playing d6 against e4 and I've been getting killed ~35% . looking back I've done much better >50% with the nimzo and Scandinavian and and sicilian and surprisingly the French defense but there's something appealing to me about the pirc so I keep playing it lol .

i don't see d4 too often tbh and I usually go Indian game and I do ~45% with it .

anyways no worries so far as observing your play or whatever there are plenty of games out there to review or spectate .

I find the bots useful to a point but I find the individuals tend to play somewhat routinely . I'll suggest trying out the 2000 coach bot it has a very different playing style than the 1600 . anyways i've been playing off-account on the chess site , so i'm clear just logging out and playing from the non-account portal so I can play the advanced tab .

so doing that I find I get a pretty different style of game in say a 10 min format which is all of the chess that I play rn . ( i'm not doing daily games rn that's more like studying and I'm doing another thing with that and then roll back into daily games ) . and I do win those but of course there is no rating or anything it's just play .

there is a casual otb club that meets in town on Tues evenings , I've been meaning to get over there and play a bit

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried out e4 . it got savage quick :

View attachment 2143939
Watching crazy king runs is always fun. I know that apparently openings don't matter for beginners, but if you are a full rook and knight down by move 10, it might be worth looking at some openings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads