• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wholecut boot with formal wear??

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
Any boot with those tabs at the back are never right -- the tab always leaves the back of the trouser leg hooked up over it, and always it seems only on just one side at a time! I once cut the tabs off (only once, since I never bought that type of boot again). On the larger subject: no boots ever with formal wear if it's a 'proper' occasion. But if Billy Porter, Harry Styles or Peter Marino are going to attend, well then... maybe!
Ok, useful notes. Thanks

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cos this particular old wheel makes you catch pneumonia at a rainy burial in February.

The notion of wearing formal wear to a funeral is puzzling enough without even getting as far as the choice of footwear.

If you are really standing “outside in the cold in February for hours” at a funeral, then dress accordingly.

zcostilla

Reaction score
You’re right that fashion evolves but I don’t really see a trend toward boots for weddings and funerals.

btw, I agree with your position on patent leather - does that mean your opera pumps are plain leather? I have never seen those.)
They’re velvet. I wear oxfords with my tux/dinner jacket if it rains.

zcostilla

Reaction score
Would you be willing to draw inspiration from military mess dress uniforms? I don't know much about uniforms but when I read your query I though surly there must be current or historical dress uniforms that incorporate a boot. I did a quick search on the Internet and found some uniforms that incorporate leather wellington boots or george boots. A george boot might be what you are looking for.

I like that George boot! With the militar, there are dress uniforms and there are formal dress uniforms. I wore combat boots in my service dress, buffed to a very high shine on the toe caps and heel caps (the vamp, tongue, and rest of the boot were a more flexible cut of leather, so they were polished, but the way they wore in gave the, some texture that prevented them from getting the same level of shine). But regulations did not permit me to wear those same boots in the mess dress, so I had oxfords that I polished to a mirror shine. As the spine and knee injury issues progressed, I had to stop wearing my combat boots with the dress uniform, and go to a sneaker-style combat boot to wear with the ABU (seriously, why did the Air Force always have the worst uniforms when I was active duty!) I have to be very picky now on the fit of my footwear, and they have to have enough room to take the custom molded insoles that I have to have now. I was sad when I had to get rid of my Allen Edmonds because the vamp was way too tight on the top of my foot. I but mostly Johnston & Murphy now, because they fit great. I know they”are step down from my AEs, but I can wear them all day without pain.

Anyway, I guess all that rambling was to say that at least in the US, the military doesn’t do boots with their formal dress uniforms.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
Would you be willing to draw inspiration from military mess dress uniforms? I don't know much about uniforms but when I read your query I though surly there must be current or historical dress uniforms that incorporate a boot. I did a quick search on the Internet and found some uniforms that incorporate leather wellington boots or george boots. A george boot might be what you are looking for.
Very interesting and innovative thought. That George boot is an attractive shoe. You feel that would be better than an Oxford boot, because it draws inspiration from military? I suppose I still have this rule in my mind that Derby or Blucher is unacceptable for formal wear. But you're right – why? there seems to be no good reason. And this does look quite formal. You like it better than the Carmina for this?

jrunner45

Reaction score
Very interesting and innovative thought. That George boot is an attractive shoe. You feel that would be better than an Oxford boot, because it draws inspiration from military? I suppose I still have this rule in my mind that Derby or Blucher is unacceptable for formal wear. But you're right – why? there seems to be no good reason. And this does look quite formal. You like it better than the Carmina for this?

Since the George boot has been part of military uniforms I think it gives it some precedent for appearing in formal settings. Personally, I think the George boot looks very low-key and formal. It's not too high and it doesn't have a tab to ruin a pant line. The laces are higher to help stay hidden. I think it's a good choice for a sober affair. I do think the Carmina is more elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads