• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wholecut boot with formal wear??

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
At the risk of being non-bourgeouisie... a qualified "fiddlesticks".

With whom will you be mingling, and will they notice?

Cuffs should be long enough that most people wouldn't see they are boots or shoes. Most important is the portion which will actually be showing. Go for a high-shine and make sure they are broken in or fit you well so you can wear them comfortably.
I’ll be mingling with the kind of people who are posting on this forum, hopefully, and your the first of that group whole would not have turned up his nose at me! ;) thanks btw!

You know what I might do - I might actually ask Carmina if they will make a pair of Oxford’s for me that are not boots - regular low cut -but that are still shearling lined!

jrunner45

Reaction score
Would you be willing to draw inspiration from military mess dress uniforms? I don't know much about uniforms but when I read your query I though surly there must be current or historical dress uniforms that incorporate a boot. I did a quick search on the Internet and found some uniforms that incorporate leather wellington boots or george boots. A george boot might be what you are looking for.

zcostilla

Reaction score
Fashions can change, albeit they usually do so gradually. Black tie and velvet slippers were gradual developments from the formal white tie. And while I’ll not a big fan of the devolution of modern black tie, I can’t wholly argue against it without coming off as snobbish, egalitarian, and elitist, despite the fact that I thrifted my high end clothes because I’m a retired, disabled veteran on a fixed income.

So I’m not against fashionable boots, if they’re tasteful and not too great a departure from what is normally worn. And even if I didn’t like it, I’m not paying for it, and I’m not in your circumstances. So unless you’re in really high society, where someone would look down on you in a way that could impact your life, I say get them. And if you’re feeling generous, I wear 13W US lol (just kidding, I’m good with my cap toes and opera slippers, and I cannot ever bring myself to wear patent leather).

Nigel Scott-Williams

Reaction score
Any boot with those tabs at the back are never right -- the tab always leaves the back of the trouser leg hooked up over it, and always it seems only on just one side at a time! I once cut the tabs off (only once, since I never bought that type of boot again). On the larger subject: no boots ever with formal wear if it's a 'proper' occasion. But if Billy Porter, Harry Styles or Peter Marino are going to attend, well then... maybe!

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
You're wearing a tuxedo to someone's funeral? ?
Come on, my friend, give me some credit - I asked for formal wear - in this case for a cutaway with a black vest, which in formal funerals is the most traditional thing to wear. The reason I was asking about the boot is that you sometimes have to stand at the grave for a long time - and when it rains and/or gets cold, a fur-lined boot with rubber soles would be perfection of course.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
Come on, my friend, give me some credit - I asked for formal wear - in this case for a cutaway with a black vest, which in formal funerals is the most traditional thing to wear. The reason I was asking about the boot is that you sometimes have to stand at the grave for a long time - and when it rains and/or gets cold, a fur-lined boot with rubber soles would be perfection of course.
But I understand from the reactions, that is not to be - and I get it. If we wanted comfort above all, we would all be wearing Rockports and Birkenstocks.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
Fashions can change, albeit they usually do so gradually. Black tie and velvet slippers were gradual developments from the formal white tie. And while I’ll not a big fan of the devolution of modern black tie, I can’t wholly argue against it without coming off as snobbish, egalitarian, and elitist, despite the fact that I thrifted my high end clothes because I’m a retired, disabled veteran on a fixed income.

So I’m not against fashionable boots, if they’re tasteful and not too great a departure from what is normally worn. And even if I didn’t like it, I’m not paying for it, and I’m not in your circumstances. So unless you’re in really high society, where someone would look down on you in a way that could impact your life, I say get them. And if you’re feeling generous, I wear 13W US lol (just kidding, I’m good with my cap toes and opera slippers, and I cannot ever bring myself to wear patent leather).
You’re right that fashion evolves but I don’t really see a trend toward boots for weddings and funerals.

btw, I agree with your position on patent leather - does that mean your opera pumps are plain leather? I have never seen those.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads