• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one. Given the fine lustre, it should be cashmere.

Screenshot (1556).png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s cool but I would choose something with less shine in it feels a bit clashing given this is a bit less formal coat to me

ZRH1

Reaction score
slight OT: any reviews of the Greenfell trench coats? I ask specifically re: fabric thickness, overall length (like Burberry Heritage or longer?) and fit (slimmer than Burberry?)

jalh97

Reaction score
Any opinions on this coat? I'm more used to bigger, wider coats, so not sure how a slimmer one should look. Do the short sleeves look weird?

1713562523687.jpeg

1713562492291.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on this coat? I'm more used to bigger, wider coats, so not sure how a slimmer one should look. Do the short sleeves look weird?

View attachment 2170601
View attachment 2170599
Somehow it manages to be both too big and too small for you at the same time! Too large in the shoulders, too tight in the chest. In short, it’s off balanced and too large in the shoulders.

Oh and it’s Too short in the sleeves to boot. Did you find this at a thrift store? If so, take it back, and take the write off

J.A.G

Reaction score
Agree probably too big and definitely too short. That said, why do people post pics of themselves wearing unbuttoned jackets or coats and ask whether they fit? I can’t really tell if it fits unless it is buttoned, can anyone else?

jalh97

Reaction score
Somehow it manages to be both too big and too small for you at the same time! Too large in the shoulders, too tight in the chest. In short, it’s off balanced and too large in the shoulders.

Oh and it’s Too short in the sleeves to boot. Did you find this at a thrift store? If so, take it back, and take the write off
Kind flat? What kind of SB coat are you looking for?
Thanks for the replies. Yes I bought it second hand because the quality is great (pics don't make justice to it in that sense), but def had doubts on the fitting. I still have a chance to change it, so may have to do just that. Anyway, here's a pic of the pattern, I like it a lot.

As for clee's question, not looking something in particular, just hoping to thrift something well-made and with nice cloth quality! Will keep looking

DSC_1694-scaled.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum, for SB I want either chesterfield or paddock coat (would be wearing with suits), I guess might have to decide what you want to pair with first?

personally I would definitely return it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads