• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You people... :deadhorse:

Q
IMG-20240430-WA0000.jpg
Future Q
PXL_20240429_091357150.jpg

Kotaro with Japanese fabric
PXL_20240426_165355069~2.jpg

Ugolini
PXL_20240429_171518090.jpg

Belts from Saic
PXL_20240429_171535947.jpg PXL_20240429_171611092.jpg

Going to ex F Caraceni's cutter tomorrow.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m far from a historian on Ivy, JFK or his style but I thought in addition to Brooks he used a British tailor with an American outpost and the cut was more accommodating to his back brace than the super slim Ivy silhouette. There was also something about firing the tailor for taking credit for the clothes in an interview maybe?

Edit: I was curious so I did a quick google. The Rake says Sam Harris made his English suits and Chipp made his American suits. https://therake.com/stories/setting-the-president
You are correct, I got mixed up, as we talked about off styleforum, it was Ted Kennedy who had his suits cut in Rome.

Much like agnelli, I’d be surprised if we knew all of kennedy’s tailors. I have it on good authority that agnelli had unknown tailors in Torino that he frequented (not necessarily the big names like a. Caraceni or huntsman).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember AAAC had a whole thread of story about Chipp (told by the owner himself), it was super entertaining to read.

Speaking of which I remember going to Chipp for hand sewn button hole (they were cheapest among all hand sewen), and felt super meh about it, bought one of their grenadine tie, all in all just couldn’t imagine what they once were

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember AAAC had a whole thread of story about Chipp (told by the owner himself), it was super entertaining to read.

Speaking of which I remember going to Chipp for hand sewn button hole (they were cheapest among all hand sewen), and felt super meh about it, bought one of their grenadine tie, all in all just couldn’t imagine what they once were

When I shopped there in the 80s and 90s before I moved to CA and no longer got
to NYC often, I got an alternative model that they offered with a nipped waist, two
buttons and often side vents but with a very natural Ivy ( or) Neapolitan shoulder.
Paul Stuart also had a similar model. It was basically a hybrid Savile Row/ Ivy style.
Mine were usually MTM. As I said earlier, this model suited my build- I have very
broad shoulders and a big chest. It the time I ran 20-30 miles/week but was never
slim. Also for someone who's taste is far beyond his wallet, Chipp had fabrics, especially tweeds, that I never saw any where else. Another place that was even
further above my pay grade was the legendary Dunhill tailors, where I bought one
summer suit. They were probably to most prominent bespoke house in NYC.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was Dunhill run or owned by two brothers?

Can’t remember their names

Egdon Heath

Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was Dunhill run or owned by two brothers?

Can’t remember their names
Interesting, one of my friends has a dinner jacket made by dunhill bespoke. It’s from his father in law. It’s a velvet green smoking jacket. My friend & his wife were both native New Yorkers, and went to private or boarding school; you can make relevant assumptions about the original bespeaker.

It appears well made for what it’s worth. I just assumed it was from when dunhill in London made bespoke jackets. But maybe it’s from New York.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Block Brothers, Norman, and Leon. Mentioned in Simon Crompton's article.
This is who I remember. Didn’t see or read Simon’s article.
Think there were two Dunhill stores in NYC.
Dunhill and Dunhill tailors, is that correct?

read the article, know the story now

Last edited:

Roger Kearey

Reaction score
Interesting, one of my friends has a dinner jacket made by dunhill bespoke. It’s from his father in law. It’s a velvet green smoking jacket. My friend & his wife were both native New Yorkers, and went to private or boarding school; you can make relevant assumptions about the original bespeaker.

It appears well made for what it’s worth. I just assumed it was from when dunhill in London made bespoke jackets. But maybe it’s from New York.
Dunhill still have a bespoke dept.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunhill London as in pipes, tobacco, and later clothing bought out the
New York bespoke, completly separate, Dunhill Tailors in 1985. For a time
the combined firm offered Dunhill Tailors bespoke and MTM at the NYC store.
That ended within a few years. What Dunhill still sells has little in common
with the New York firm run by the Block brothers.

Dunhill Holdings, the parent company of Alfred Dunhill, has agreed to buy the business of Dunhill Tailors for $3.25 million in cash and will continue that 62-year-old business ''for the immediate future.Sep 1, 1985 ( Google)

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunhill London as in pipes, tobacco, and later clothing bought out the
New York bespoke, completly separate, Dunhill Tailors in 1985. For a time
the combined firm offered Dunhill Tailors bespoke and MTM at the NYC store.
That ended within a few years. What Dunhill still sells has little in common
with the New York firm run by the Block brothers.

Dunhill Holdings, the parent company of Alfred Dunhill, has agreed to buy the business of Dunhill Tailors for $3.25 million in cash and will continue that 62-year-old business ''for the immediate future.Sep 1, 1985 ( Google)

Dunhill still have a bespoke dept.

Roger is a bespoke tailor in London. I’ll defer to him on this.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member