• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really work. Looks costumey. Coat, sport coat, chinos(?) sweater vest, scarf,
newsboy hat. Looks like a get-up for Pitti. Also, I never really understood the concept of a ligtweight over coat, especally with a scarf. I've lived in very cold places: Upstate new York and Chicago. In slightly cold weather no coat or a rain coat. In cold weather a Loden Balmacaan. In frigid weather, a 32 0z British Warm. In super cold weather. my Invertere Melton Monster. Informally, a down jacket.

As the climate changes and the temperature rises, I see well a place for a light overcoat.

If you just wear a coat to protect youself from the cold, nothing will beat a down jacket, but nobody with a sense for style will ever wear one.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not true. I think I have a pretty good sense of style and I wear lots of down coats. I'm also in Denver, so they actually do serve a purpose. I like all types of clothing though, so to each their own. I strongly believe adhering to one style or genre of clothing is boring, there's soooooo much cool stuff out there, you just have to have an open mind.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
As the climate changes and the temperature rises, I see well a place for a light overcoat.

If you just wear a coat to protect youself from the cold, nothing will beat a down jacket, but nobody with a sense for style will ever wear one.
I'm gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't mean this literally.

Because if you do, you're almost be definition saying that *only* tailored clothing can have true style. What an insane take.

FwW2CyUaIAMydG1.jpg:large

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of your takes are just astoundingly bad. Context matters for everything. Like if someone is skiing, they’re not wearing a coat.

I’ve found, the key to dressing well isn’t wearing the nicest thing, but understanding context. If I’m on the beach in the middle of summer, I’m not wearing a three piece flannel suit. Thats not dressing well - that’s absurd.

I think the key is fit.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is from 7 years ago, so the pants are a little slim, but I think it looks good, no?
IMG_8964.jpeg

That was in Chicago so it was as probably like -30 out haha. I wish I still had that parka.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not true. I think I have a pretty good sense of style and I wear lots of down coats. I'm also in Denver, so they actually do serve a purpose. I like all types of clothing though, so to each their own. I strongly believe adhering to one style or genre of clothing is boring, there's soooooo much cool stuff out there, you just have to have an open mind.

Judging from what you have posted I would say you have good taste, and if you like down jackets, wear and enjoy them.

My point is that such a garment looks misplaced in classic menswear.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of your takes are just astoundingly bad. Context matters for everything. Like if someone is skiing, they’re not wearing a coat.

I’ve found, the key to dressing well isn’t wearing the nicest thing, but understanding context. If I’m on the beach in the middle of summer, I’m not wearing a three piece flannel suit. Thats not dressing well - that’s absurd.

I think the key is fit.

Your examples are pretty out of place and you seem to argue just for the sake of it.

It's quite clear that I'm referring to classic menswear, not casual or sportwear. Obviously, nobody will wear an overcoat while skiing and a suit at the seaside. I will admit though that I look with admiration and nostalgia at old photos where skiers wore much more stylish clothes.

And yes, I'm perfectly aware of the importance of the context.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly believe adhering to one style or genre of clothing is boring, there's soooooo much cool stuff out there, you just have to have an open mind.

I'm not dogmatic as you may believe, although I have a very defined taste and my style is essentially classical. I always encourage people to express themselves in clothing, be it classical or casual, therefore I also follow streetwear threads.

If you can embrace different styles, I admire you. A great example of a very eclectic style is urbancomposition, an icon of style for me, always at ease in any of his outfits.

slows2k

Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that not a waxed Barbour or the like, so...not a down jacket as your quote of @DorianGreen is in reference to?

I have no horse in this race at all, but I am both amused and bemused at how much @DorianGreen's comment stirred things up here.
Same affect. The point is overly broad generalizations aren’t good like that. It’s not the first time. A few days ago he commented on how you can’t wear a certain fabric to another gentleman.

Some of his takes are just really bad. Including his praise of tailoring that is terrible. I don’t comment because I don’t want to public disparage the craftsman (their work does that alone), but the workmanship is sloppy, looks like the tailor is still learning to fit.

Anyways, just to clarify. I don’t like Barbour jackets. Actually I dislike them with a passion. But I don’t think it’s correct to say if you wear a Barbour you’re automatically not stylish

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbour jackets are great too. :p
Well. That’s my point: just because I don’t personally like something (ie it’s not for me), doesn’t mean someone lacks style because of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads