• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

jalh97

Reaction score
hum, for SB I want either chesterfield or paddock coat (would be wearing with suits), I guess might have to decide what you want to pair with first?

personally I would definitely return it
Thanks for the answer. I rarely use a sport coat, though I'm trying to do it more often, but want to keep it more on the casual side (I do use dark indigo and off-white jeans regularly), or in a hybrid between casual and elegant.

What do you think of this other option? It's still a little short in the sleeves, but I think it may be more balanced?

1713646379511.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's the aesthetic you're looking for in general (small lapel etc., though SB kind have to be smaller I suppose else it has to be cut low which is less functional)?

CasualWearer88

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I rarely use a sport coat, though I'm trying to do it more often, but want to keep it more on the casual side (I do use dark indigo and off-white jeans regularly), or in a hybrid between casual and elegant.

What do you think of this other option? It's still a little short in the sleeves, but I think it may be more balanced?

View attachment 2171209
If the sleeve lenght is bothering you, you could check if there is some excessive fabric to let out. It should be a quite inexpensive alteration and can be done by every tailor.

Other than that, I believe this is a quite flattering and easy to wear SB overcoat.

Best regards

jalh97

Reaction score
that's the aesthetic you're looking for in general (small lapel etc., though SB kind have to be smaller I suppose else it has to be cut low which is less functional)?
This is a comfortable aesthetic for me, yes. Though I'm trying to up my game, I do have to keep it dressed-down so it doesn't get weird at the workplace and, just in general, where I live.

I do think the lapel could be a little bigger, if that's what you were saying?
If the sleeve lenght is bothering you, you could check if there is some excessive fabric to let out. It should be a quite inexpensive alteration and can be done by every tailor.

Other than that, I believe this is a quite flattering and easy to wear SB overcoat.

Best regards
Thank you for answering

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes I bought it second hand because the quality is great (pics don't make justice to it in that sense), but def had doubts on the fitting. I still have a chance to change it, so may have to do just that. Anyway, here's a pic of the pattern, I like it a lot.

As for clee's question, not looking something in particular, just hoping to thrift something well-made and with nice cloth quality! Will keep looking

DSC_1694-scaled.jpg

As I said, the cloth looks very nice to me, but the fit isn't good. Not a fan of those collar and lapels.

J.A.G

Reaction score

Again you posted a pic without buttoning the coat, and wearing a t-shirt underneath. Does it fit - who knows?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2171209
This photo doesn’t help its case.

First of all, the buttons, while they may button, aren’t closing when left unbuttoned (they’re supposed to).

Second, your right shoulder is lower than your left. You can see it down the coat. The shoulder line doesn’t look balanced.

And sleeves are still too short

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@jalh97

clothe might be "not modern" for your purpose though (and I have no idea about your size)

jalh97

Reaction score
@jalh97

clothe might be "not modern" for your purpose though (and I have no idea about your size)

Thanks clee! Beautiful coat indeed. Love DBF too, it's a goal of mine to own a coat from them (or a Kaptain Sunshine one). Some day... Some day.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect weather for a lightweight overcoat..

View attachment 2171593
Doesn't really work. Looks costumey. Coat, sport coat, chinos(?) sweater vest, scarf,
newsboy hat. Looks like a get-up for Pitti. Also, I never really understood the concept of a ligtweight over coat, especally with a scarf. I've lived in very cold places: Upstate new York and Chicago. In slightly cold weather no coat or a rain coat. In cold weather a Loden Balmacaan. In frigid weather, a 32 0z British Warm. In super cold weather. my Invertere Melton Monster. Informally, a down jacket.

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Doesn't really work. Looks costumey. Coat, sport coat, chinos(?) sweater vest, scarf,
newsboy hat. Looks like a get-up for Pitti. Also, I never really understood the concept of a ligtweight over coat, especally with a scarf. I've lived in very cold places: Upstate new York and Chicago. In slightly cold weather no coat or a rain coat. In cold weather a Loden Balmacaan. In frigid weather, a 32 0z British Warm. In super cold weather. my Invertere Melton Monster. Informally, a down jacket.
Works for me, doesn’t work for you, I’m fine with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads