• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point on not judging the pattern on one man's fit. I do have my confirmation bias.

I can add my personal experience to it:

I've had 32 slim trousers and 34 contemporary trousers that measured the exact same.

Adding in S&M's shoddy quality control and generous "tolerances", it makes sense to me to have this issue.

Realistically I should fully move on from S&M's trousers, as they're just not friendly to people with large thighs and seats.
Regrettably the case for me, as well. I can still tolerate them for suiting, but I've finally come to grips that their odd trews won't do for me. Too many sacrifices. Nice problem to have, but I'd rather pay a bit of a premium to get what I truly want/feel best in

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I just saw a bunch of the new stuff. A lot of nice stuff. Bravo to Spier.

I really hope the jeans in that light and medium wash get released with a high rise. I’ll for sure get the light wash and possibly medium wash as well.

Also, I’ve been staring at the 2-ply Oxford pics for 10 minutes and can’t tell if they have a regular front placket like the “Ivy” versions or is one side normal and one side like French if that makes sense. I can forgive my oxfords not having a box pleat, but I can’t do shirts without normal plackets barring super formal shirts.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most formal on the hierarchy of hip pockets, though, truthfully, I just enjoy the look the most. Obviously the sleekest.
On occasion I have tucked in my flaps to make the look more minimal like a jetted pocket. Do people care that much unless it is an uber formal situation.

Harachel

Reaction score
I just saw a bunch of the new stuff. A lot of nice stuff. Bravo to Spier.

I really hope the jeans in that light and medium wash get released with a high rise. I’ll for sure get the light wash and possibly medium wash as well.

Also, I’ve been staring at the 2-ply Oxford pics for 10 minutes and can’t tell if they have a regular front placket like the “Ivy” versions or is one side normal and one side like French if that makes sense. I can forgive my oxfords not having a box pleat, but I can’t do shirts without normal plackets barring super formal shirts.
Are you looking at the striped ones? The good pattern matching makes it a little harder to tell, but it’s definitely a regular placket. Zoom in and you can see the second line of stitching, and then a little farther over you might make out the edge of the placket, especially where it meets the collar. Or just look at the solid-colour ones, which are presumably made from the same pattern.

Scarlatti

Reaction score
What's the current back rise measurement for 32 or 33 high rise trousers? I can't find this information on their web page.

c689

Reaction score
My only complaint of SM's sportcoat, is that only full-canvas sportcoats (and some in that high-end collection) have the "Hand-Sewn Milanese Lapel Buttonhole". The lapel buttonhole of their half-canvas sportcoats is ugly.

Can a tailor remove it and add a milanese buttonhole?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member