• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carterneeld

Reaction score
Cigar linen Neo suit up in previews. I'm unfamiliar with the mill.

Spence Bryson is a pretty big mill in the UK. I am having a MTM jacket made by P. Johnson in a linen of theirs and it's very sturdy, a little rough even. I would definitely buy a suit of theirs thinking that it would age and crease almost like a cotton suit.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Spence Bryson is a pretty big mill in the UK. I am having a MTM jacket made by P. Johnson in a linen of theirs and it's very sturdy, a little rough even. I would definitely buy a suit of theirs thinking that it would age and crease almost like a cotton suit.
Do they specialize in linen and/or cotton? Or are they primarily a wool mill?

A12321

Reaction score
Still hoping for a navy wool Neo suit to drop this season. Such a staple in every closet, yet the only one available in limited sizes is the Clissold. Would love a nice herringbone or other patterned fabric.
Bumping my own comment. A navy Neo VBC just dropped. Was hoping for a cool patterned fabric like a herringbone with patch pockets, but this might do.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder why S&M have never done slanted/hacking pockets? They’ve always been strong on tweeds and country fabrics and even played around with other English country features.

I’m thinking about having a fairly simple sharkskin suit made-up, but would prefer angled pockets.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I wonder why S&M have never done slanted/hacking pockets? They’ve always been strong on tweeds and country fabrics and even played around with other English country features.

I’m thinking about having a fairly simple sharkskin suit made-up, but would prefer angled pockets.
Check with customer service. It might be something they can do when it's in the notes.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they specialize in linen and/or cotton? Or are they primarily a wool mill?
Well regarded mill. They cover a wide swath of brands for their linens. I would, however, double check with CS (or ping Rick on IG) regarding weight.
My assumption would be it's similar in weight to the Minnis linens from a few years back (380g/12oz), but Bryson covers a wide array of weight, from I believe 8 to about 16 ounces.

Last edited:

photony83

Reaction score
Hello, having a bad experience with S&M. ordered my 4th suit from them as the other 3 were done really well with the first one being having to be remade entirely. I made some minor (and I mean very minor) changes to the 4th one. when it came it had a horrible collar roll. I was very specific to write in the dialog box upon order to refer to the previous orders for measurements.

I reached out 2.5 months ago to them about how to fix the collar roll but since then it's just basically them telling me every other week that they have to ask the factory what the mess up was. I cannot wear the suit in this condition. I am also not able to take it to a tailor incase the want to take the jacket back and adjust it themselves, which is what I rather what they do. I had been planning on order a suit or jacket from them every so often as I think for the most part they nailed my fit. But with customer service like this I am really doubting my trust in them to communicate.

my guess is they wanted me to wait till my credit card charge back period had expired and just tagged me along. I cannot imagine that it takes 2.5 months for an email answer from their factory as to what happened.

any advice?
reached out to them again and same answer.. It has now been 3 months... I asked to speak with a supervisor or someone above the person I have been in contact with so far but no one has reached out to me.

Unfortunately this experience will be my last with spier and Mackey.. I have really nailed down my suit measurements and my previous 3 suits were great. Not sure what is happening with their company currently but very disappointed.

St1X

Reaction score
My only complaint of SM's sportcoat, is that only full-canvas sportcoats (and some in that high-end collection) have the "Hand-Sewn Milanese Lapel Buttonhole". The lapel buttonhole of their half-canvas sportcoats is ugly.

Can a tailor remove it and add a milanese buttonhole?
Yes, tailor can make you a Milaneese buttonhole, but you'll have to find a real tailor, not an alterations tailor, who'll be willing to do it for you

A12321

Reaction score
Well regarded mill. They cover a wide swath of brands for their linens. I would, however, double check with CS (or ping Rick on IG) regarding weight.
My assumption would be it's similar in weight to the Minnis linens from a few years back (380g/12oz), but Bryson covers a wide array of weight, from I believe 8 to about 16 ounces.
Found some more info on the Cigar linen browsing the web. On S&M's page, the fabric code is E6130. Menswear Musings did a Tobacco Linen writeup last year and included this fabric on their page. It was tobacco linen that Ring made.

However S&M's photos make it look a lot more yellow than brown/red, so not sure really which fabric this is. I prefer how it looks in the Ring jacket photos.

sydneycider

Reaction score

Spiers things for the last 5 odd years has been Neapolitan tailoring. Slanted pockets are very very country English and they'd look bizarre on a Neapolitan jacket.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoreyHalye