• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit Orvis tonight to try on both the Beaufort and the Bedale. Both were plenty boxy. I'm a 42R in general blazers and I have a 43" chest. I definitely wasn't a 42 in either the Beaufort or the Bedale. I tried going to down a 38 and while the body looked good, the chest was a bit snug. So I settled on the 40 as the correct size. I even used a tape measure to measure the pit-to-pit measurement. 40 was a 23 inch measurement. I then tried a liner underneath. It was a Large as they didn't have a Medium. I didn't zip it in, but it was on and I didn't notice a difference in fit/feel at all.

So I came home to order at least one from Oi Polloi. I had a credit with them for a sale item I bought back in the Summer and had to return. They've since got rid of a brand I really like (Nigel Cabourn) and they haven't had much recently in the brands they still have that I do like. So they are currently running an outerwear sale with free shipping to the US on orders over 50 pounds. Well with the sale the Bedale is about $210 shipped and the Beaufort is about $235 shipped. Those seem like really competitive prices. Problem is they only have the Beaufort in Sage and they only have 42 and 44 left. So I missed out on that. I won't lose too much sleep over it as I prefer it much more in Olive and Navy. So I grabbed the Bedale in both Navy and Olive. The credit I had covered one of them with 3 pounds to spare and so I just grabbed the other one. I hope the fit is consistent with the ones I tried at Orvis. We'll see when they come. Pleased to use the credit though and definitely like the price on the Bedale. I would have preferred the Beaufort in Navy or Olive, but I can always score one some other time.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys; had my Bedale for a while and need a place to get wax online (from australia); what are the cheapest options for overseas customers (if all else fails will buy from barbourbymail) Also can I just give it to my tailor to shorten the sleeves?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how did you tailor it? just put in darts on back?
i tried on a 34 in the a7 intl and it still felt huge in shoulders and boxy in chest (im normally a 36 suit size small in most brands)
i wonder if i should keep a 34 and wash/dry it for shrinkage or go for 32 OR get a 34 and tailor it -__-

Don't wash and dry it. You will ruin the jacket. Purchase your best size and tailor down.

FWIW, it's meant to be boxy and somewhat anti-fit.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few days in with my new Beaufort, I have to say I prefer the Sylkoil over the Thornproof, which I owned in the past.
Also I like Olive a lot better than Sage.
Could not be happier with my purchase.

Can you expand on why you like the Sylkoil better - is it less waterproof than the thornproof? Is the olive much different in color than the sage???

The fabric feels softer and it does not smell.
While I always liked the smell there were a lot of people who were irritated/offended by it.
Though I have to say I don't know if recent Thornproof jackets still smell because I had mine years ago and if I recall correctly I read somewhere that Barbour changed to a new non-smell wax since then.
Regarding color, I prefer the matt finish over the shiny one of Thornproof.
I think the corduroy collar goes nicer with a matt jacket.
Also Olive comes off more natural a shade of green to me than Sage, which I find pretty bold in comparison.
Looking at Olive, I think of forrest, mud, rubber boots, hunting, fruit and vegetable harvesting, going for a long walk with your dogs, very country, while at the same time looking at Sage, investment bankers and lawyers come to mind, dark suits, white shirts, covered in a jacket which is country by heart, a very ambivalent mixture of city and country, which I am not after.
So far both rain and snow have pearled off the Sylkoil just as well as it did from my Thornproof, I don't think it makes any difference.

imys

Reaction score
Subject: Altering the Barbour TOKITO Heritage Beacon

Hello All,

Im new to SF so hopefully I haven't broken any rules by posting this here. I have recently purchased the infamous "Skyfall" Barbour TOKITO Heritage Beacon jacket. I bought a size LARGE as the MEDIUM was too tight on the shoulders, chest, and sleeve lengths were too short. However, the MEDIUM fitted perfectly along the waist. Does any know if this jacket can be tailored so that the waist would fit more like the MEDIUM? When pinching the back of the coat, I would ideally like it to be taken in by ~2 inches. If the alteration can be done, what would this mean for the buttons i.e., would they have to be shifted too; and also the liner inside the jacket, i.e., would it have to be cut out and re-sewn. This seems to be a major operation.

Thank you kindly
-I

imys

Reaction score
Subject: Altering the Barbour TOKITO Heritage Beacon

Hello All,
I'm new to SF so I hope I haven't broken any rules by posting this here. I have recently purchased the infamous "Skyfall" Barbour TOKITO Heritage Beacon jacket. I purchased the LARGE since the MEDIUM was too tight on the shoulders, chest, and sleeve lengths were too short. However, the waist fitted perfectly. Does anyone know, if this jacket can be altered so that the waist could fit more like the medium? Your responses are greatly appreciated, thank you.
-I

Mike147

Reaction score

The fabric feels softer and it does not smell.
While I always liked the smell there were a lot of people who were irritated/offended by it.
Though I have to say I don't know if recent Thornproof jackets still smell because I had mine years ago and if I recall correctly I read somewhere that Barbour changed to a new non-smell wax since then.
Regarding color, I prefer the matt finish over the shiny one of Thornproof.
I think the corduroy collar goes nicer with a matt jacket.
Also Olive comes off more natural a shade of green to me than Sage, which I find pretty bold in comparison.
Looking at Olive, I think of forrest, mud, rubber boots, hunting, fruit and vegetable harvesting, going for a long walk with your dogs, very country, while at the same time looking at Sage, investment bankers and lawyers come to mind, dark suits, white shirts, covered in a jacket which is country by heart, a very ambivalent mixture of city and country, which I am not after.
So far both rain and snow have pearled off the Sylkoil just as well as it did from my Thornproof, I don't think it makes any difference.

Thanks for the feedback - very helpful. Now I just need someone to exchange my thornproof for a Sylkoil... Not quite sure how to get this done but I suspect Orvis or one of the Barbour dealer in NYC will be helpful... Anyone know of other big box retailers in NYC that carry Barbour?

Which I knew about Oi Poloi before pulling the trigger with Bloomingdales,,,

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't wash and dry it. You will ruin the jacket. Purchase your best size and tailor down.
FWIW, it's meant to be boxy and somewhat anti-fit.

hmmm ok i just remember someone (maybe on here) washing and it shrunk to fit better. guess its not worth risking it haha

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Oi Polloi's outerwear sale is still going. IIRC it was supposed to end today. Bedale's for about $210 shipped and Beaufort for about $235 shipped. Their shipping has been pretty quick and I've not been hit with customs by them. Here is a link:

http://www.oipolloi.com/shop/brand/barbour

Just note that if you have to return it you get a credit with them.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that if you already have a Barbour and you're looking to get it re-waxed, you can take it to Orvis and they can send it out for you. Last night they told me that it's $30 plus $12 shipping and they send to Barbour. Guy said it looks like new. On a side note, he said that when Filson does it it's soaking in wax.

poena

Reaction score

Looks like Oi Polloi's outerwear sale is still going.  IIRC it was supposed to end today.  Bedale's for about $210 shipped and Beaufort for about $235 shipped.  Their shipping has been pretty quick and I've not been hit with customs by them.  Here is a link:

no small sizes left :(

Mike147

Reaction score

Looks like Oi Polloi's outerwear sale is still going.  IIRC it was supposed to end today.  Bedale's for about $210 shipped and Beaufort for about $235 shipped.  Their shipping has been pretty quick and I've not been hit with customs by them.  Here is a link:

How much do you think it would cost to ship it back to the UK from the USA?

Mike147

Reaction score

Forgot to mention that if you already have a Barbour and you're looking to get it re-waxed, you can take it to Orvis and they can send it out for you.  Last night they told me that it's $30 plus $12 shipping and they send to Barbour.  Guy said it looks like new.  On a side note, he said that when Filson does it it's soaking in wax.

I had my Filson coat re-proofed and it came back looking great - I'm pretty sure they outsource it to a place in New England....

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I just sent DHL a $30-something check for a Barbour I got from Oi Polloi a few weeks ago.
That includes $6 for their brokerage fee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads