• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost to ship it back to the UK from the USA?

IIRC around $17. You should check with them, but USPS works fine for me. Dont' mess with a lot of fancy shipping options either. USPS guys were pretty honest about timeframes and what tracking actually gets you.

I just sent DHL a $30-something check for a Barbour I got from Oi Polloi a few weeks ago.
That includes $6 for their brokerage fee.

I've had 3 DHL packages from them (Oi Polloi and DHL) this year and not a single charge from DHL. Knocking on wood.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
barbourmain.jpg
barbour2.jpg
barbour3.jpg
barbour4.jpg
barbour5.jpg
Barbour Experts: Just picked up this sweet jacket for winter. It was brand new for $59. It's missing a button on the sleeve, contacted barbour via email to see if they can send me a replacement. Anyone had any luck with getting a free replacement button for their quilted items? Also I read that barbour does alterations, granted I didn't purchase it directly from them, think they would be able to alter it for free? Just wondering before I take it to my local tailor. Not sure how good barbour's customer service is.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost to ship it back to the UK from the USA?

IIRC around $17.  You should check with them, but USPS works fine for me.  Dont' mess with a lot of fancy shipping options either.  USPS guys were pretty honest about timeframes and what tracking actually gets you.

I just sent DHL a $30-something check for a Barbour I got from Oi Polloi a few weeks ago.

That includes $6 for their brokerage fee.

I've had 3 DHL packages from them (Oi Polloi and DHL) this year and not a single charge from DHL.  Knocking on wood.

Oh I believe you. It's always a crapshoot.
I ordered something from them in May and didn't get hit with customs.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I believe you. It's always a crapshoot.
I ordered something from them in May and didn't get hit with customs.

Yeah, I suppose. It's the stuff from End that I get nailed on.

barbourmain.jpg

barbour2.jpg

barbour3.jpg

barbour4.jpg

barbour5.jpg

Barbour Experts:

Just picked up this sweet jacket for winter. It was brand new for $59.
It's missing a button on the sleeve, contacted barbour via email to see if they can send me a replacement. Anyone had any luck with getting a free replacement button for their quilted items?
Also I read that barbour does alterations, granted I didn't purchase it directly from them, think they would be able to alter it for free? Just wondering before I take it to my local tailor. Not sure how good barbour's customer service is.

Where'd you get it for that price?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fabric feels softer and it does not smell. While I always liked the smell there were a lot of people who were irritated/offended by it. Though I have to say I don't know if recent Thornproof jackets still smell because I had mine years ago and if I recall correctly I read somewhere that Barbour changed to a new non-smell wax since then.
I've had my Beaufort for about a month now and it seems like the smell has already subsided. I didn't mind the smell when it was new though.
barbourmain.jpg
barbour2.jpg
barbour3.jpg
barbour4.jpg
barbour5.jpg
Barbour Experts: Just picked up this sweet jacket for winter. It was brand new for $59. It's missing a button on the sleeve, contacted barbour via email to see if they can send me a replacement. Anyone had any luck with getting a free replacement button for their quilted items? Also I read that barbour does alterations, granted I didn't purchase it directly from them, think they would be able to alter it for free? Just wondering before I take it to my local tailor. Not sure how good barbour's customer service is.
I didn't think alterations were free either way, but maybe I'm wrong.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah probably not. I'll call and see how much it'd cost to alter the sleeves. Sucks that they're working buttons as I need it shortened a bit

RicPac

Reaction score
where can you get your barbour taken in?? i dont see it on the website

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow.. I have the same jacket, but fits totally different (Mine is roomy). Nice fit.
Thanks man. I was on the fence between what size to buy. Medium looked SF approved but the large was more practical...but who buys anything for practicality :slayer: :satisfied:

zielschuss

Reaction score
where can you get your barbour taken in?? i dont see it on the website

There's some info about it here: http://www.barbour.com/us/repairs-reproofing-us

I sent an email to [email protected] about taking in a large Tokito Mountain Parka which fit well in the shoulders but was tent-like otherwise. A nice lady by the name of Lisa ****** responded 5 days later. After some correspondence I decided to take off about 4" along the bottom hem and 2" right under the pit to give the jacket some taper. It was a bit pricey ($90), but the alteration is a bit more involved as they'll be doing it along the side-seams to maintain use of the rear game pocket. It also includes a rewax of the new seams they put in.

I'm supposed to receive it in 3 weeks or so and will post pics in this thread when I do.

Last edited:

lowchuck

Reaction score
i've just got my new barbour, apart from wearing it under the rain, any way you guys would recommend to speed the breaking-in? ie, placing it under the sun for a good few hours etc

Coopa

Reaction score
There's some info about it here: http://www.barbour.com/us/repairs-reproofing-us

I sent an email to [email protected] about taking in a large Tokito Mountain Parka which fit well in the shoulders but was tent-like otherwise. A nice lady by the name of Lisa ****** responded 5 days later. After some correspondence I decided to take off about 4" along the bottom hem and 2" right under the pit to give the jacket some taper. It was a bit pricey ($90), but the alteration is a bit more involved as they'll be doing it along the side-seams to maintain use of the rear game pocket. It also includes a rewax of the new seams they put in.

I'm supposed to receive it in 3 weeks or so and will post pics in this thread when I do.
I'll be interested to see how it looks because i had the exact same experience with the mountain parka. I absolutely love the jacket, but it was gigantic in from the chest down. Sizing down to a medium would have made it too constricted in the shoulders. I ended up reluctantly returning it.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who pops their collar on the bedale and who keeps it down? Just curious.

Down most of the time, but if it's raining/blowing a gale, up it comes.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback - very helpful. Now I just need someone to exchange my thornproof for a Sylkoil... Not quite sure how to get this done but I suspect Orvis or one of the Barbour dealer in NYC will be helpful... Anyone know of other big box retailers in NYC that carry Barbour?
Which I knew about Oi Poloi before pulling the trigger with Bloomingdales,,,

Sylkoil definitely visually ages quicker due to the slight peaching of the cotton. Some people find that it's not as tough with thorns/barbed wire. For me I prefer sylkoil...

imys

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I just sent them an email RE taking in my TOKITO Beacon Heritage. Hopefully ill get a response soon, but unlikely because they are closed for the holidays from Dec 19-Jan 7 and have stated on their website not to send any garments to them during this time.
Cheers,
-I

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads