• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ledbury dress shirts

dufferin1

Reaction score
Removable collar stays? Was looking at getting a slim white shirt when they have 15.5 back in. Pretty sad I have only one white shirt yet it has green buttons so un-useable in most settings.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how they compare to a comparably priced shirt from mytailor.com in terms of both fabric and construction?

GradSchooler

Reaction score

Surely that depends on the shirt itself?

Not really. AFAIK there aren't any high end or bespoke shirt-makers that use non-removable stays. Certainly not as a matter of course or policy at least. There is a reason for that.

Last edited:

GradSchooler

Reaction score

Removable stays. Most higher quality shirts have removable stays as sewn-in ones break down after a while.

Ah, that makes sense. I misunderstood your comment as referring to the way the collars were attached to the shirt body. Hence my confusion. Yes, sewn-in stays are a deal-breaker for me too.

Last edited:

dufferin1

Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. I misunderstood your comment as referring to the way the collars were attached to the shirt body. Hence my confusion. Yes, sewn-in stays are a deal-breaker for me too.

No worries! I have a Strellson spread collar shirt that has sewn-in stays which is fine but any other collar style makes it difficult to wear. Wearing a shirt sans tie with sewn in stays is near impossible. My new Lipson shirts have incredible collars with removable stays.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several Ledbury shirts. All of them have removable collar stays. They're all standard dress shirts, however, not chambrays or work shirts, so those might have sewn-in stays.

Overall, I think they're pretty good shirts. This is just speculation on my part, but Ledbury seems to have refined the slim fit within the last year. The one I purchased this spring has a better fit than ones from a year ago. It could still be slimmer for my purposes, but it's got a good shape. The only thing I don't like is how the gauntlet button is attached--it's at the very edge, which makes me a little nervous about it getting pulled off.

Note that they have a number of shirts on sale for $99 right now.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Just got an email from Ledbury and the stays are removable.

Ledbury

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Great to hear the feedback on our shirts. We're happy to be part of the conversation.

Just for clarification, our collar stays are removable. We keep some on hand as well and can include additional stays if you contact our customer service department.

Great to hear you all are pleased with the fit and construction of our shirts. We strive to bring you a top-quality product at a reasonable price point.

I noticed some of you had questions concerning the sizing and how we compare to other brands. Here's a link to our size guide. We've added a "Fit Comparison" tab to give a better point of reference for how our shirts compare to a few other retailers. We also have an application on our website to help determine what size will work best for each customer. At the bottom right of this page, there is a button that reads, "What fit should I get?". This should help determine size for those of you who may be unsure of which fit is best for you.

We're happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Cheers,
Mel

Ledbury

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1. A 15.5 shirt with a "standard" 34" sleeve means I'm never shopping there (I need a solid 35" or 35 1/4). And that's a shame, I'd be willing to give a couple of their shirts a whirl.

I wonder the rationale to cut themselves short of a larger market ?
Hi razl,

I just came across your post on SF. I'm happy to share that we intend on expanding our inventory to include shirts with longer sleeves in the near future! We are still a fairly young company and really appreciate your feedback. We definitely realize that our market would be much larger with this addition. I hope you will consider giving our shirts a try once the longer sleeves roll out1 In the meantime, if you have any questions or would like any additional information, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]. Cheers!

Augustus D

Reaction score
I bought a shirt online from Ledbuy last Wed. I had them shorten the sleeves, it was shipped last Friday and I rec'd the shirt today. Monday.
Nice shirt, good quality and perfect fit. For me anyway. Can't beat that!

Ledbury

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a shirt online from Ledbuy last Wed. I had them shorten the sleeves, it was shipped last Friday and I rec'd the shirt today. Monday.
Nice shirt, good quality and perfect fit. For me anyway. Can't beat that!
Augustus D,

Glad to hear of your experience! We've migrated from this thread to our official affiliate thread. Feel free to continue sharing there.

Tavish

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads