• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace-ups, Brogues, shiny leather shoes, etc.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Ack, I can't decide, Brian. The CN's are sleeker, but I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the soles.

Could you get a cobbler to shave them down on the sides a bit? Seems like it should be possible.

If the Pradas turn out to be a pretty sleek-looking shoe when worn, regardless of how it looks in profile in the picture, I'd go with them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Ack, I can't decide, Brian. The CN's are sleeker, but I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the soles.

Could you get a cobbler to shave them down on the sides a bit? Seems like it should be possible.

If the Pradas turn out to be a pretty sleek-looking shoe when worn, regardless of how it looks in profile in the picture, I'd go with them.

I'm kind of feeling the same way. Yoox is great with returns so I could always order both and return the ones I don't want.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like the Pradas better. The overall shape, the colorway.

The leather doesnt appear to be corrected grain from that pic, and I doubt Prada would use cg leather...but I'm pretty sure most (if not all) prada shoes are probably blake stitched, and not welted. Which is still fine as far as construction, just that some folks expect welted construction at the Prada pricepoint.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 for Prada

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Here's the detail of the leather from the bottom pair. Someone help me out here: are these corrected grain? I cannot tell if they're corrected grain or just polished a lot:

Probably corrected grain (Prada favors CG), but it looks like a good corrected grain instead of a cheap corrected grain. If you get them, try not to scuff them, though. Corrected grain is difficult to fix/polish after a serious scuff that moves into the "gouge" category.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, that's a tough call, both are very nice. I'm leaning more toward the CN but either would be awesome.

i'm ignorant when it comes to shoe terms so could someone point me to link.... what's corrected grain and the difference between blake stitched and welted?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads