• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace-ups, Brogues, shiny leather shoes, etc.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider those predistressed as much as the fact that they appear not to have had polish applied...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Instead I need a pair of $400 pre-distressed shoes like the PS that look like they came out of the ass end of an elephant for true street rockstarosity?

the PS brogues aren't predistressed. They're made with a dip-dyed coloring process to the leather which ends up with a matte coloring, and the type of leather used is completely different from the calf leather used on a dress shoe, so the end result isn't the typical shineable finish you're used to seeing on brogues. If anything, high end dress shoes that come pre-antiqued (a lot of Italian brands as well as Lobb's museum calf come to mind) are more pre-distressed than the Paul Smiths

afaludi

Reaction score
+1 on santoni, their rubbersoled offerings give a little more casual feel while having the comfortability of a broken in leather sole. The leather uppers are top notch and very supple

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
yummy grenson shoes
Any US sources? A quick google yields uk sites... Those are right what I've been looking for, and the price seems edible.
blush.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GetSmart, can you let us know when that PS sale starts? I love their stuff but its just a bit out of my budget :p

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
the PS brogues aren't predistressed. They're made with a dip-dyed coloring process to the leather which ends up with a matte coloring, and the type of leather used is completely different from the calf leather used on a dress shoe, so the end result isn't the typical shineable finish you're used to seeing on brogues. If anything, high end dress shoes that come pre-antiqued (a lot of Italian brands as well as Lobb's museum calf come to mind) are more pre-distressed than the Paul Smiths

Interesting.

Are they meant to be polished or just left with a matte finish, looking worn?

lefty

Brian SD

Reaction score
Lefty, who called you a d-bag for buying distressed jeans?
musicboohoo[1].gif
I simply prefer treated shoes to untreated in this situation. Nothing wrong with either. Also, this has been discussed in many different threads, but the kind of treatment that you see on PS shoes, CDiem, Fiorentini + Baker, etc. is not achievable through normal wear.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
GetSmart, can you let us know when that PS sale starts? I love their stuff but its just a bit out of my budget :p

I *think* presale starts this weekend (2nd), with the actual sale (and pickup of presale items) next friday (8th)....but I'll post definites once I know for sure

Originally Posted by lefty
Are they meant to be polished or just left with a matte finish, looking worn?

lefty

if you polish them they still remain matte, tho the toe can get a touch of shine with a good polish

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Lefty, who called you a d-bag for buying distressed jeans?
musicboohoo[1].gif

I simply prefer treated shoes to untreated in this situation. Nothing wrong with either.

Also, this has been discussed in many different threads, but the kind of treatment that you see on PS shoes, CDiem, Fiorentini + Baker, etc. is not achievable through normal wear.

No one, I'm just playing catch-up with my denimology.

Y'know ...

True Religion/Rock and Republic/A&F = douchbag.

APC/KMW/PBJ = effin' Lord of Thunder.

Life was easier when it was just Levis and Lee. Then those GWG bastards came along and wrecked it for everyone.

Disagree about the normal wear. I can show you a pair of 15-year-old Blunnies that have never been polished and look pretty damned distressed.

lefty

Coulomb

Reaction score
I personally have no issues with predistressed jeans or shoes. I think as long as they are tastefully done and the artifical wear is matched to your normal points of stress, it is perfectly acceptable. I think many people who make the blanket statement of disliking distressed jeans actually hate the fact that most of the effects are done very poorly with very little regard to mimicking true natural wear. Because after all the moment you put on a pair of jeans, you are creating wear and abrasions which will ulitmately manifest as distress on your jeans.

The PS shoes are wonderful. I highly recommend them and I'm sure you'll love them (especially if they can be had for 40% off retail).

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
9711fu5rm0.jpg

Love those but they are a bit too formal for my needs, I think. Definitely want something I can wear with tapered jeans as well as with suits.

Bentivegna and blind stitching too formal? Don't let Sator know, that you wrote that.
laugh.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Bentivegna and blind stitching too formal? Don't let Sator know, that you wrote that.
laugh.gif

Well, it's the last and the thick sole that juts out that looks formal to me. I'm not really sure what bentivegna means.
blush.gif

I admit my definition of what is formal and informal is on an entirely different scale than what most of the MC members consider them to be.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grensons are sold at the SF bloomingdales. So they do have US distribution albeit limited

if you are not convinced of the brogue idea, then I would recommend some captoes, with or without medallion. You could also try some Barker Blacks, which have fairly traditional styling but with a few totally club-guy touches like skull designs etc. I think they look awesome, but pricey.

This weekend I tried on a cordovan Alden captoe with commando lug outsole, they were spectacular but I couldn't bring myself to spend another $500 on shoes. But maybe you can.

Personally I have too many wingtips right now, im looking for a Paraboot style at the moment. Paraboots are split toe front with blucher lacing and rubber sole, which I also think goes well with jeans.

Still overall, I think the full brogue like the Paul Smith you pictured is the best option. They look good and even today with websites like these, I rarely see a nice pair of wingtips when I am out and about. Unless its a senior citizen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics