• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
coats i bought this seasssson:
sdakflajsxh8.jpg
and almost forgot..
safdaanq3.png

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I agree, it's the only good thing about the weather getting colder and the women covering up...

Although a 100% cashmere worsted will also keep you warm, well it keeps me warm.

Annex20-20Grant20Cary_18.jpg

I have a coat very similar to that, that's a timeless classic.[/quote]

****! He looks perfect - what would that outfit cost today? $10,000???

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Cary Grant pic is just off the hook, especially as he doesn't seem to be posing for the camera. He's KILLING it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
I have a coat very similar to that, that's a timeless classic.

****! He looks perfect - what would that outfit cost today? $10,000???

Hat: $200 (guess)
Tie: $80 + shipping (Sam Hober)
Shirt $120 (mytailor.com)
Suit - Dormeuil Full-weight flannel three piece $1200 (mytailor.com)
Coat - Zegna Cashmere $2300 (mytailor.com)
Shoes - Black Suede $200 (Sierra Trading Post, eventually
smile.gif

----

$4100 or thereabouts, by my count, to get MTM cuts and first-rate cloth. You're not going to get a much better deal on the suit, but the coat could be had off the rack for half that, probably. I skimped on the shoes, because you're not going to Lobb or Vass and asking for black suede, now are you?

The real answer - go to the quality shopper and have him hunt these down for a 20% commission.

leon12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Debonair
I think JCREW has some pretty affordable yet trendy pieces:
http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/categor...navAction=jump

I'm considering adding one of their wool-cashmere topcoats with the thinsulate lining. I have their peacoat with thinsulate and it passes the "Minnesota" test for warmth. Is there anything from Borrelli et al. that would be similarly lined? Some type of Loro Piana magic fabric perhaps?

sidenote

Reaction score
God that coat is HIDEOUS! Anyone bringing metallic back in style should be shot. Maybe the guy in the RL Hunter's Jacket further down the page will put the tin man out of his misery?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alpaca teddy bear coats are where it's at.

jtang

Reaction score
Bump. Getting cold soon, can we get some discussion going? As the OP said, it's very hard to find a good coat above the $300-ish range (BR, JCrew, etc.) and below the bespoke range ($1200+). I'm looking for a modern, fitted look around the $600-800 price range. Preferably something that's worth a lot more, but at a steep discount thanks to my diligent research
tongue.gif
. Has anybody recently picked up a good coat in this price range? Several people mentioned the Morris & Sons shop in Chicago that sells great over/topcoats at good discounts. Does anyone know of a similar store in New York?

MaxJones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtang
Bump. Getting cold soon, can we get some discussion going?

As the OP said, it's very hard to find a good coat above the $300-ish range (BR, JCrew, etc.) and below the bespoke range ($1200+). I'm looking for a modern, fitted look around the $600-800 price range. Preferably something that's worth a lot more, but at a steep discount thanks to my diligent research
tongue.gif
. Has anybody recently picked up a good coat in this price range?

Several people mentioned the Morris & Sons shop in Chicago that sells great over/topcoats at good discounts. Does anyone know of a similar store in New York?

Hey Tang - You've tried Century 21, right?
teacha.gif

jtang

Reaction score
....... you know what, that's a really good idea. I haven't even thought of that, lol.

I live literally 2 blocks from it and never ventured into the coat section. Usually I just get pots and pans, ties, and random nick nacks. Thanks.

MaxJones

Reaction score
Well then I have to admit I'm a little jealous. It's hit or miss, but I've found cool things there, and I go there everytime I visit NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads