• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
One of my favorite parts of the Winter season is pulling out the overcoats.

Annex20-20Grant20Cary_18.jpg

Makes me want to go out and get an overcoat.

achillesg

Reaction score
Any suggestions (other than a parka!) for a closed neck dress overcoat? Some days are too cold for the open chest/neck style.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Depending on the style, you can find overcoats, trenches, pea coats that will close up through the neck. You just gotta look around for it.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I have a question on fit. I am a size 42 in suits, and I was not aware that you should buy an overcoat 1 size bigger than your suit size. I recently bought an Isaia overcoat in size 42. I have not received it yet in the mail, but I'm wondering if it will fit me? I want to wear the coat over my suits, but I don't wear sweaters under there too, just a dress shirt and suit. Also I think i'm really like a size 41 1/2 rather than a 42 so maybe there will be room? I would rather the coat be slim fitting than big. What do you think, have I made a big mistake?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, overcoats should be sized to fit over a regular suit jacket, so I don't think you would need to size up.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
I have a question on fit. I am a size 42 in suits, and I was not aware that you should buy an overcoat 1 size bigger than your suit size. I recently bought an Isaia overcoat in size 42. I have not received it yet in the mail, but I'm wondering if it will fit me? I want to wear the coat over my suits, but I don't wear sweaters under there too, just a dress shirt and suit. Also I think i'm really like a size 41 1/2 rather than a 42 so maybe there will be room? I would rather the coat be slim fitting than big. What do you think, have I made a big mistake?

In my experience overcoats in your normal size can even be too generous. I would not recomend going a size up. Heck, you will probably have to get the one in your normal size taken in by a tailor. They make things so billowy these days.

Mustapha

Reaction score
This thread has been about the heavy overcoats. What about 'raincoats'? Many have a zip-in liner and are quite suitable for winter wear. Although I admit some are 'springtime' looking and look weird in a sub sub zero deep freeze.

Raincoats are good for getting in and out of a car; though, it's quite an act with a full length cloth coat.

I was in Amsterdam 2 years ago in March. Many, many businessmen were wearing tan 60's style or perhaps even vintage single breasted raincoats - many were seriously vintage looking. I do believe after seeing so many it was a regional thing.

qtdude

Reaction score
A few years ago I got a "Sanyo" one with a removable heavy lining for those very cold days. Love it when it rains.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk

To continue this post, I got my coat in the mail today and it is too small. It's exactly like the Isaia 42R listed here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=86634

All my suits are Hickey Freeman 42's and thats what I tried wearing under this coat. The coat's armholes are much higher than my suit's and the coat pushed the lapels on my suit way up where they were sticking up higher than the coat's lapels and the coat wasn't covering the Suit's lapels in the front or around my neck.

I talked to the seller and I may be able to exchange the coat for a 44 just like the one listed also in this link: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=86634

Looking at the 2 different measurements between 42 and 44 do you think the 44 will fit me? How should my suit lay undermy coat? If I get a 44 will it be possible to wear my Hickey Freemans with the Isaia coat since the Isaia's armholes are higher, or will the size 44 bring the armholes down enough?

Please help I am very stressed
frown.gif

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by achillesg
Any suggestions (other than a parka!) for a closed neck dress overcoat? Some days are too cold for the open chest/neck style.

Buy a scarf. It will cover up the neck area pretty well.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Any thoughts on my previous post?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads