• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is serge wool good for so cal nights?

Tough call, I recently sold a serge wool jacket and pants deeming them as too warm for socal, but the jacket was fully lined in 100% cotton and I did wear it 1-2 times during last winters coldest days/evenings, I'd say its good for below 60 F, but ymmv

Do EG shirts come in size XS? Size S measurements look a little big for me.

Could anyone compare the fit/sizing of an EG shirt to a Uniqlo slim fit OCBD shirt?

yes on the xs in shirts although theres usually less stock vs the other sizes
also theres lots of diff eg shirts with diff fits/measurements per same size so you'd have to narrow it down to the actual shirt type, or search webshops like context/indigo&cotton/etc for actual shirt measurements you could compare to the qlos

Last edited:

tjonesd2

Reaction score

Tough call, I recently sold a serge wool jacket and pants deeming them as too warm for socal, but the jacket was fully lined in 100% cotton and I did wear it 1-2 times during last winters coldest days/evenings, I'd say its good for below 60 F, but ymmv
yes on the xs in shirts although theres usually less stock vs the other sizes
also theres lots a diff eg shirts with diff fits/measurements per same size so you'd have to narrow it down to the actual shirt type, or search webshops like context/indigo&cotton/etc for actual shirt measurements you could compare to the qlos

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering a shirt jacket made of the serge wool material to use as stand alone outerwear. I currently use my (old 2 pocket style) wool herringbone CPO shirt in the same manner. Do you have experience with the wool herringbone CPO shirts? if so, do you think they are of comparable warmth?

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering a shirt jacket made of the serge wool material to use as stand alone outerwear. I currently use my (old 2 pocket style) wool herringbone CPO shirt in the same manner. Do you have experience with the wool herringbone CPO shirts? if so, do you think they are of comparable warmth?

love the cpo and I do have one in hb but imho its hard to compare hb to serge in terms of warmth I'd say the
the hb is a thicker but breathable fabric whereas the serge is thinner but highly wind resistant, so it really depends on other variables like lining, layers worn under it, worn mostly open or closed, tight fit or roomy, local winds, mainly sunny or cloudy weather, etc, but in general terms I would say serge is less warm than hb

now if you're talking about a serge wool cpo or other shirt jacket type that is unlined and worn mainly open then yeah I'd say it would work in socal for winter, maybe even some colder fall/spring nights

which cpo do you have? I dont recall a 2 pocket style unless you're not counting the sleeve pocket

tjonesd2

Reaction score

I would think so.

Thanks Gary. I was actually e-mailing with Steven regarding an item. Didn't hear back from him today though-- I hope it is still available.

love the cpo and I do have one in hb but imho its hard to compare hb to serge in terms of warmth I'd say the
the hb is a thicker but breathable fabric whereas the serge is thinner but highly wind resistant, so it really depends on other variables like lining, layers worn under it, worn mostly open or closed, tight fit or roomy, local winds, mainly sunny or cloudy weather, etc, but in general terms I would say serge is less warm than hb

now if you're talking about a serge wool cpo or other shirt jacket type that is unlined and worn mainly open then yeah I'd say it would work in socal for winter, maybe even some colder fall/spring nights

which cpo do you have? I dont recall a 2 pocket style unless you're not counting the sleeve pocket

Wind resistance sounds just like what I need. And if it less warm, even more versatile than my CPO. And yes, I was not counting the sleeve pocket, so I guess it is 3 pockets total. Did the third front pocket replace the sleeve pocket on the new CPOs?

As a socal guy, what do you think are the most wearable EG pieces out there? It sucks seeing all the awesome A/W stuff I couldn't possibly wear :(

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And yes, I was not counting the sleeve pocket, so I guess it is 3 pockets total. Did the third front pocket replace the sleeve pocket on the new CPOs?

As a socal guy, what do you think are the most wearable EG pieces out there? It sucks seeing all the awesome A/W stuff I couldn't possibly wear :(

no, afaik the eg cpo has always had (and hopefully always will have) the sleeve pocket

well ss eg items were usually pretty meah but have been getting better the last couple seasons, I love my ss11 linen baker for example, ss12 ripstop fatigues are legit as well, also ss14 looks really really good actually, you should check it out

from fw items I've mostly kept the wool blends and/or looser knitted tweeds, I think the only fabric you'd really want to avoid is melton wool and the fully lined jackets/coats in the tightly knitted tweed or serge, flannels vary ime I mainly go by thickness

Last edited:

HelloFello

Reaction score
As a socal guy myself, I definitely feel the same about most of their heavier fabrics as well. What I find is that, yes I can personally wear most of their heavier weight items, but just can't layer it like most of them are meant to be worn, 19th century bd, a cinch back or padded vest over it, and a jacket to finish it off.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain fello, can barely get away with this getup myself (+scarf tops)

Last edited:

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a red wool classic shirt in large if anyone's interested.

Shingles

Reaction score
I'm looking for this in a sz medium if anyone is willing to part with theirs, or know where I still can get it give me a shout. Thanks

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have leads on a size large Bedford/andover leftover from sales?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lerune