1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

your height?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stickonatree, Mar 5, 2008.

1. brimley

brimley Well-Known Member

6'5" here. Thankfully, my lower body proportions are pretty reasonable (only a 33" inseam) but 37.5" on the sleeve measurement kills me.

2. overdog

overdog Well-Known Member

Are we measuring with or without shoes?

3. aragon765

aragon765 Well-Known Member

6' - 3 and 3/4"

Never made it to 6'4". I am in the middle height-wise of 5 boys (no girls) in my family. We would make a heck of a B-ball/V-ball team if we had any coordination....

4. overdog

overdog Well-Known Member

Say hi to Yao for me.

Yao is one big dude. Here is a pic of me standing next to him in 2005 (and wearing a cheap rented tux too--please hold your tongues).
    [​IMG]

Compare with:
    [​IMG]

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

6' - 3 and 3/4"

Never made it to 6'4". I am in the middle height-wise of 5 boys (no girls) in my family. We would make a heck of a B-ball/V-ball team if we had any coordination....

My brother was supposed to be 6'2", took up smoking at age 13 and is 6'6". Absolutely no interest in basketball. I was supposed to be 6'6", never smoked, played basketball at least five days a week until my late twenties and wound up at 6'2". Life isn't always fair.

6. deputamadre

deputamadre Well-Known Member

6'6". Dad is 6'8".

7. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

6' - 3 and 3/4"

Never made it to 6'4".

Same here. I was 6'4" in sneakers so that's how I was listed when I played basketball.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Really? I thought you would be taller.

Jon.

so did I

9. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Well-Known Member

5',9.5". Not sure which category to go with...

10. samblau

samblau Well-Known Member

I am 5'11.7" thisclosetobeing 6'.....if I slick my hair back I break the 6' barrier though...does that count?

11. feynmix

feynmix Well-Known Member

5' 11

and what do you know. Looking at the poll, it does look the heights are normally distributed.

12. Mustapha

Mustapha Well-Known Member

I just realized that for Asians, their '6 footer' equivalent is 5'8". Dunno why that is. My Asian father-in-law among many others keeps opining [about other Asian men] that 'he's not short, he's 5'8".

Now, a 5'8" Asian woman - that's a rarity. :>)

13. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I'm short. My mom is 5", my father is closer to 6"--and I'm closer to my mom than to my dad's height. I got the short end of the gene stick, so to speak. [​IMG]

My older brother is about 5'8", and my younger brother is taller than him--he's barely 17. [​IMG]

14. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

My brother was supposed to be 6'2", took up smoking at age 13 and is 6'6". Absolutely no interest in basketball. I was supposed to be 6'6", never smoked, played basketball at least five days a week until my late twenties and wound up at 6'2". Life isn't always fair.
    Yeah it sucks to be 6'2'' [​IMG] How do you know what height you're supposed to be btw?

15. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I just realized that for Asians, their '6 footer' equivalent is 5'8". Dunno why that is. My Asian father-in-law among many others keeps opining [about other Asian men] that 'he's not short, he's 5'8".

If you meant "Asian" as in people actually living in that huuuggge continent, it varies from country to country. Just looking at the "Orientals" subset, East Asian youth (Chinese, South Korean) are closer in height to American standards than, say, their Malaysian peers.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

so did I

[​IMG]

For disclosure, I'm 5' 7"

Jon.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I'm short. My mom is 5", my father is closer to 6"--and I'm closer to my mom than to my dad's height. I got the short end of the gene stick, so to speak. [​IMG]

My older brother is about 5'8", and my younger brother is taller than him--he's barely 17. [​IMG]

Look at it this way: you can fit into just about every car ever made, Including all those multimillion dollar classic Ferrari's.

Jon.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

6' 1" or thereabouts

I was never good at enough at basketball to have reason to worry about a precise measurement.

19. sweisman

sweisman Well-Known Member

Probably the shortest on the forum, 5'2"...After losing 25 lbs over the last year and getting down to 130lbs, finding clothes has been impossible. The height doesn't bother me and since I have been usually the shortest person in the room since middle school I am used to it. My lighthearted attitude and use of self deprecating humor has been a great advantage professionally. Everyone gets along with this short guy.

20. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Look at it this way: you can fit into just about every car ever made, Including all those multimillion dollar classic Ferrari's.

Jon.

I remember trying to buy an old (80s, I believe) Merc S coupe right out of highschool and couldn't reach the gas pedal comfortably without reaching. [​IMG]