• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yerba Mate (the drink of the gods)

bengron

Reaction score
I have been drinking a tea called Yerba Mate for about a year now. When I get home and I am really tired, stressed out, out of energy, and unable to work I drink it. I drink it like millions do in South America. I fill up a hollowed out gourd with tea leaves, insert a metal straw, and pour hot water in the gourd. I keep sipping the tea through a metal straw and adding hot water for about fifteen minutes.
66468_2c5bba48c7.jpg

After drinking the Yerba Mate I feel rejuvenated. I am no longer tired or stressed out, and I become very productive and I get lost of work done.

These are the main benefits of Yerba Mate:

It is extremely healthy:
According to a study, Yerba Mate contains almost all of the vitamins and minerals needed to sustain life. Not only does it contain very healthy nutrients but is very safe to drink as well. Drinking Yerba Mate is about as dangerous as drinking coffee. If you have heart problems dont overdue it, but other than that it is in no way toxic.

It provides an energy boost:
Yerba Mate does NOT contain caffiene. It has a similar chemical called Matiene. It will make you feel awake and focussed, but it is not jittery like caffiene. Its more like waking up from a power nap. It does not tend to interfere with sleep schedules.

It aids in weight loss:

Yerba Mate is a very powerfull tool in losing weight. It does four things to help you lose weight. It will surpress your appetite. It will not stop you from eating as much as you would like to, but you will be less hungry and it is much easier to stick to a diet. It increases our rate of metabolism. This means It will increase the speed in which you digest food, and less food will be converted into fat. It provides energy and makes you more active. You are more likely to be actively doing something with more energy and you will be burning more calories this way. It is a very mild laxative. While you will feel much more relaxed, you will also have more bowel movements. This causes you to instantly lose weight.

It helps productivity:
I find that Yerba Mate is the ultimate laziness cure. After drinking it I use the energy boost to clean up the house, wash some dishes, do some work, or do anything else that needs doing. For some reason I feel very motivated to do something productive after drinking yerba mate. I can quickly and efectively do my homework with ease. Most offices use coffee to increase productivity, but Yerba Mate is healthier, and it works much better. Try bringing it to work.

It is definately worth trying. You may not like the tase at first. Some people think of it as an aquired taste. Try adding sugar, mint leaves, a lemon or orange slice, or other flavors to improve the taste if you want. I drink it straight up without sugar like a man though. It is NOT a drug, unless you think tea or coffee is a drug. People in South America have been drinking it for centuries and call it "la bebida de los dios" or "the drink of the gods" due to the fact that a drink this perfect must have been put here by the gods.

musick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengron
...Yerba Mate does NOT contain caffiene....

True, but it does contain caffeine. Average is 1.3% up to 2%.

Great drink though.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I love mate. There's a different taste you get from drinking it in the gourd vs. a french press. Recommend either; french press is probably easier to try since most people have a press before they have the gourd and bombilla.

There's a great sampler pack out there, I bought it in Argentina but have seen it online as well. The maker is La Merced, and it has a lighter mate, roasted mate, and traditional/mid mate.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengron
I fill up a hollowed out gourd with tea leaves, insert a metal straw, and pour hot water in the gourd

Yep, I'll be sure to get that extra hollowed out gourd and metal straw out of my cupboard tonight - then order me some yerba mate!
spam[1].gif
facepalm.gif

pnin22

Reaction score
Yerba Mate is a "laziness cure"!? Are you kidding? Have you ever *been* to countries where it is heavily consumed, like Uruguay? Those people are lazy as ****!

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna try it in my French Press, although the gourd thing has a groovy vibe to it. Probably keeps it from being on the Starbucks menu board.

BTW, how hot is the water supposed to be?

dingurupa

Reaction score
You really need to try it in a gourd if you haven't already. I never saw an Argentine put matÃ
00a9.png
in a french press, and I sipped on it with quite a few folks. First of all, the process of curing your gourd and getting it ready for its first use is a pretty interesting process in itself. The best part is that your matÃ
00a9.png
is going to taste better with heavy use as the gourd is infused by the leaves. I like to keep mine clean by pouring in boiling water after I'm done, but some Argentines swear by letting a little funk build up. They will even go so far as to allow a light mold to build up in the gourd. I'm just not huge fan of drinking out of a moldy cup... As for brands, save yourself time and energy and get the best (it's cheap too). I tried many types and I kept coming back to Rosamonte. I finally settled on the Rosamonte Especial Yerba MatÃ
00a9.png
: http://www.amigofoods.com/rosamonte.html THE WATER TEMP IS VERY IMPORTANT. You need to have your kettle off the eye right before it starts boiling. This is important for two reasons: 1) You don't want to burn your tongue. 2) If the water is boiling, it will singe the the matÃ
00a9.png
leaves and thus alter the flavor. A couple of other preparation tips for a great matÃ
00a9.png
experience: 1) While your water is heating up, take a paper towel and cover the top of your gourd tightly. Turn the gourd upside down (with leaves in the gourd) and shake it on the paper towel, and then turn it back upright. You will see all the fine little particles on the paper towel, stuff that you don't want to be sipping up through your bombilla. Do this several times until you only see a very light amount of green dust on the paper towel. 2) Make sure that the top level of the matÃ
00a9.png
leaves is at an angle. This does not have to be exact, but I would say at around 30 degree angle. Once you have that taken care of, stick your bombilla into the gourd so that it intersects perpendicular to that angle you created with the matÃ
00a9.png
. Do not move the bombilla after you get it where you want it, and don't touch it until you are finished. 3) Before you put any hot water in your gourd, you should put a very small amount of cold water at the lowest level of the matÃ
00a9.png
(this is why you put your matÃ
00a9.png
in at an angle). After putting just enough cold water to coat that lowest points top layer, you can begin to pour hot water in. 4) Start pouring in hot water at low levels. Usually the lowest level of the matÃ
00a9.png
and work your way up as you sense the flavor getting lighter. By doing so, this will allow you to gradually soak the leaves and your matÃ
00a9.png
will be fresher and last longer. EDIT: One more thing for this exceptionally long first post. Don't waste your time putting flavorings or sugar in the matÃ
00a9.png
. It's a bad idea in terms of flavor and you won't be able to use your gourd to drink matÃ
00a9.png
plain after soiling it with lemon juice or whatever monstrosity you might have considered putting in it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Passing a single container around a group, all of whom use the same straw? Decidedly a poor person's beverage.

dingurupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Passing a single container around a group, all of whom use the same straw? Decidedly a poor person's beverage.

Decidedly not. Everyone in Argentina from poor farmers in the northwest to the elite in Buenos Aires drink matÃ
00a9.png
. So unless you are saying that everyone in Argentina is poor, you're way off base.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dingurupa
Decidedly not. Everyone in Argentina from poor farmers in the northwest to the elite in Buenos Aires drink matÃ
00a9.png
. So unless you are saying that everyone in Argentina is poor, you're way off base.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

GDP per capita \t$14,410 (2008) (55th)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads