• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
OK basted sleeves it is for the next time around (with separate sleeves buttoned to be later attached).

Last edited:

doodledoc

Reaction score
I agree regarding the pre-sewn button holes. I prefer the basted sleeves and then my tailor has been able to shorten the sleeves, raise the vent in the sleeves at the cuff, and then do functioning button holes. With the button holes already stitched, he is having to shorten the sleeve at the shoulder due to the concern that removing the button hole stitching would scar the fabric and you would be able to see it. I know that it would only be the detail oriented/anally retentive individuals that would notice this. But I think that a majority of people on here are sartorially savvy and are drawn to the details. Also, just FYI, I vote for a 9.5+ cm lapel on suits and sport coats. I just picked up a MTM sport coat in navy melange with 11cm lapels and it looks fabulous!

How big are you and how wide are your shoulders?

sillyvvill

Reaction score
I just received my Nobile suit, in 38R. My other Benjamin suit was a Napoli in 38R, which fits perfect, with my tailor only lengthening the sleeve by about an inch (because my torso is more 38R but my long arms are more 38L, and I wanted a shorter 38R length jacket). However, this Nobile suit seems to fit alot tighter on my arms and back especially. The sleevehead seems narrower, and the back seems alot smaller too. Can Ben and any of the other experts on here tell me if the fit on this suit jacket is correct, and if not, whether it is something that my tailor can fix? Or should I just get a different size? Thanks all! Also, please disregard the super baggy black cargo sweatpants that I'm wearing. They are my favorite pajama pants haha.

doodledoc

Reaction score
I just received my Nobile suit, in 38R. My other Benjamin suit was a Napoli in 38R, which fits perfect, with my tailor only lengthening the sleeve by about an inch (because my torso is more 38R but my long arms are more 38L, and I wanted a shorter 38R length jacket). However, this Nobile suit seems to fit alot tighter on my arms and back especially. The sleevehead seems narrower, and the back seems alot smaller too. Can Ben and any of the other experts on here tell me if the fit on this suit jacket is correct, and if not, whether it is something that my tailor can fix? Or should I just get a different size? Thanks all! Also, please disregard the super baggy black cargo sweatpants that I'm wearing. They are my favorite pajama pants haha.

In my opinion, you need to size up. It looks almost skin tight.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can make any Benjamins as good looking as anything up to $1500 by just upgrading the buttons. $20-$35 extra only for real horns. More formal, less formal, less sleeve buttons, more unique... endless.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

In my opinion, you need to size up. It looks almost skin tight. 

Agreed - definitely size up.

FYI I dig the sweatpants but on those I think you should SIZE DOWN haha :D

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Interesting. I'm 5'9'' but have similar shoulders to you. I wonder what a 11cm lapel would look like on me. 

I'm 5'10" 158 lbs and have one of the (awesome) Riviera cashmere jackets with 10cm lapels. I can't find a photo of me wearing it at the moment but maybe will get a pic of it to post when I get a chance. It is definitely on the wider side but I like it!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You can make any Benjamins as good looking as anything up to $1500 by just upgrading the buttons. $20-$35 extra only for real horns. More formal, less formal, less sleeve buttons, more unique... endless.
Riva we'd love to see you modeling some of the many Benjamin pieces you have! :nodding:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riva we'd love to see you modeling some of the many Benjamin pieces you have!
nod[1].gif

That would be quite a lot as I have re-buttoned all my Benjamins. That would be more than 10 pieces I think... but all different buttons. Will do it next weekend.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Just got my dark navy hopsack Benjamin Bella Spalla blazer back from the tailor. Size 36R. I'm 5 foot 11 inches, 155 lbs with narrow shoulders. Tailor had to shorten the sleeves & take in the waist.

Thoughts:

- My tailor, one of the best in Toronto, was very impressed with the construction. He said it seemed "expensive", and this is a guy who finishes Canalis in Yorkville.
- Fabric is medium weight, but it's unlined. I can see right through the hopsack weave so it breathes well. Will try to wear this one year round.
- Details are spot on - patch pockets, double vented, slim (but not too slim). Also, it isn't too short as some jackets can be nowadays. Buttons better than expected.
- Compared to my other Classico II jackets, the Bella Spalla lapels a touch narrower, shoulders a touch wider, and armholes seem touch lower. All of these changes go the wrong way for me (I prefer the narrower shoulders, wider lapels, and higher armholes of the Classico II), but the differences are subtle in magnitude so they're not really game-changers.

Overall, so happy! I can't imagine buying a suit or odd jacket from anyone but Ben at this point. This is my 3rd suit/jacket, plus I have a few sets of odd trousers.

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall, so happy! I can't imagine buying a suit or odd jacket from anyone but Ben at this point. This is my 3rd suit/jacket, plus I have a few sets of odd trousers.

Again I don't want to sound like a fanatic but I can be happy if I can only buy Benjamins for the rest of my life. At least the ones in Classico II cut or similar. I haven't worn the Brionis, Kitons, Isaias, Carusos, Bogliolis etc for maybe a year. Thinking of selling them actually but alas the sleeves have been shortened. Everytime I put on a Benjamin it feels as comfortable as the Brioni and the fabrics are so soft. As comfortable as Italians but with seams as strong as the British. I can care less if the Classico II's were tailored in China as nobody in the real world knows or cares. Actually been using my Paul Smith (top made in Italy Byards) just to break them down so I can wear the others more often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads