• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF Nordstrom

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
+1 to all of this. It sounds like you're an insider, but I have noticed that Nordstroms stores vary dramatically from store to store, location to location. (As others have already posted.) I guess we at SF sort of scoff at this, but Nordstrom is a pretty finely tuned retailing machine and they know how to put stuff on shelves that's going to sell.

And for the vast majority of lawyers and doctors and businessmen who have a fair amount of money and want to stop in and find a blue blazer with more quality than they perceive can be found at Macy's, they reliably pop in to the local Nordy's.

+1

I suspect that if Nordstrom had a Manhattan store, its wares would fare much better in these pages than the majority of Saks stores' do.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
^i think store #4 has way better stuff than the flagship...and bigger too.

Seriously?
I've all but given up on the Bellevue store.
My wife would agree that the Bellevue store is better for women's clothing than downtown though.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I always suspected Nordstrom stocked based on shopping patterns or zip codes. For example, the shoe department of the Perimeter Nordstrom in Atlanta carries lower level Santoni and mainly Ferragamo Studio at best. Go to Phipps Plaza though, and they carry Canali shoes. Sounds like they are making a move downscale en masse.

all department stores do this. come to the saks in austin, and you will find high end brands such as hugo boss and lacoste.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a downward trend over the past year or so in my local Nordstrom, which is the San Francisco "flagship" Union Square store. I'm not talking about the fashion trend-following areas, but the men's tailored clothing floor and shoe department; both have really gone down recently, comparing what I saw on the floor 6-9 months ago vs. two weeks ago.

The shirt and tie displays are trending towards those dark-shirt & shiny tie looks so enamored by bouncers, with fewer and fewer examples of classic styles. The shoe department also seems to be jettisoning their higher-end brands such as A. Testoni and Ferragamo in favor of more Cole-Haan and Ugg. And, although the suit floor is still stocking Zegna, Canali and Armani, they seem to be pushing stuff like Joseph Abboud MTM.

I was chatting with a long-time salesman in the tailored clothing dept. about their Zegna sport coats and he was bemoaning the fact that they (the SF store) used to carry Isaia adnd Belvest and a wider range of Zegna, but no longer. He basically told me that if I was interested in the Zegna-Isaia-Belvest range of suits/jackets, I should be over at Saks, Nieman, or Barney's.

This saddens me. I grew up south of Seattle, under the shadow of the Nordstrom reputation as the gold standard for department stores. That mailer just put me over the edge...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
+1

I suspect that if Nordstrom had a Manhattan store, its wares would fare much better in these pages than the majority of Saks stores' do.

They have been trying desperately to open one in Manhattan for years-good luck finding the space!

mendozavr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
^i think store #4 has way better stuff than the flagship...and bigger too.

I've been meaning to go to the Bellevue store. The #1 has a cute yet still conservative designer section, carrying stuff like Gant, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Margiela, Rag & Bone and others. As for suits, they carry the usual suspects as mentioned on this thread, but still kind of boring. I suppose they have to cater to their clientele.

james_gsx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge

The shirt and tie displays are trending towards those dark-shirt & shiny tie looks so enamored by bouncers, with fewer and fewer examples of classic styles. The shoe department also seems to be jettisoning their higher-end brands such as A. Testoni and Ferragamo in favor of more Cole-Haan and Ugg. And, although the suit floor is still stocking Zegna, Canali and Armani, they seem to be pushing stuff like Joseph Abboud MTM.

I was chatting with a long-time salesman in the tailored clothing dept. about their Zegna sport coats and he was bemoaning the fact that they (the SF store) used to carry Isaia adnd Belvest and a wider range of Zegna, but no longer. He basically told me that if I was interested in the Zegna-Isaia-Belvest range of suits/jackets, I should be over at Saks, Nieman, or Barney's.

Don't really mean to bring this back up, but thought it was worth noting since this applies to most department stores right now.

A lot of this has to do with slowing sales over the last year. There are less dollars to spread around, so stores are focusing on the cheaper items that move rapidly. The sales people hate it, but most of the customers really don't notice. When the economy picks up and sales start to improve, you'll see a lot of the nicer products appear again. This is especially true in the mens departments, but I will agree a lot of the "trendy" items they have brought in are pretty pathetic. But you'd be fairly surprised how well it sells.

If there is a shoe or suit you like but don't see in the store, chances are though they can get it for you. It will take some work on the salesperson's part, but it can be done. I've had several Santoni's transferred into my local store that I bought. If they aren't available, often times they can send in a special order to the manufacturer and attempt to get it - this is probably easier for shoes than suits though.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendozavr
I've been meaning to go to the Bellevue store. The #1 has a cute yet still conservative designer section, carrying stuff like Gant, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Margiela, Rag & Bone and others. As for suits, they carry the usual suspects as mentioned on this thread, but still kind of boring. I suppose they have to cater to their clientele.

Damn, the Minnesota Nordstrom (Mall of America) has barely anything good. At one point they stocked Duchamp ties, and I still think they carry Zanella trousers. Other than that, nothing good.

Their women's section is a bit better, with Jil Sander, Margiela and the like.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite memories of Nordstrom were in the late 80's. I haven't bought anything there but AE shoes for my son and socks and handkerchiefs for myself in the last 6 years. My wife loves the place for basics but still goes to boutiques for something special. I think it has gone "broad market" in its appeal.

I guess when it comes to Zegna and Isaia consumers have voted that they would rather go to Saks or Neimans.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in July I was led for a look/touch into "secret room" where Nordie floor people stashed away their newly arrived Fall '08 "high-end" product.
So what did I find in there ?
Joseph freaking Abboud, Tommy Bahama and Cole Haan
And their Danvers outlet is a worser dump yet.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Back in July I was led for a look/touch into "secret room" where Nordie floor people stashed away their newly arrived Fall '08 "high-end" product.
So what did I find in there ?
Joseph freaking Abboud, Tommy Bahama and Cole Haan
And their Danvers outlet is a worser dump yet.

This sounds wrong.

But then again, any salesperson who may very well know next to nothing about clothing, could see these and be flabbergasted by prices themselves and consider it 'high end'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads