• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wrists and forearms

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
Rock climbing is a really good way to strengthen not only your fingers, wrists, and forearms, but also your whole upper body in general.
Rock climbing is very unbalanced since you do so few underhand clings (unless you're a heavy cave climber, maybe). It's recommended to avoid injury you do wrist curls and forearm pronation. (So obviously if you're not climbing, add reverse wrist curls and forearm supination to work your whole wrists and forearms.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rzi
http://www.gripmaster.net/
This thing is totally pointless - I have the black one and was using it constantly for a few weeks when I got it, and it never did anything that I could tell.

BTW, I'm to about 5/16" on the #2 now.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Farmer's Walks.... Grab the heaviest dumbells (or objects) you can hold and walk around the room until you're about to drop them. Rest a minute... repeat... repeat... repeat... Nothing beats farmer's walks for building practical hand strength and forearm size. Mine were always undersized compared to the rest of me until these.

My friend does this. He has a couple of 2 by 4s that he just picks up and wanders around with. I think they've also made his shoulders bigger, too.

codechino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Rock climbing is very unbalanced since you do so few underhand clings (unless you're a heavy cave climber, maybe). It's recommended to avoid injury you do wrist curls and forearm pronation. (So obviously if you're not climbing, add reverse wrist curls and forearm supination to work your whole wrists and forearms.)

the best idea would be to find a climbing gym nearby with some good bouldering walls. i frequent a place with some 45 and 60 degree walls, and theyre fantastic for working out your upper body. when i started climbing, my forearm size doubled in a month. granted, im extremely skinny and had more or less no forearm mass to begin with, but still...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
my wrists and forearms were pretty small when i was coming out of high school and into college, but after lifting for several years, they did bulk up to the point of looking like Man wrists and forearms.
no real isolating exercises per se, just lifting experience for over 10 years (since 18 years old to 29) bulked up my wrists and forearms,

now i sort of regret it , because the bulky wrists /forearms prevent me from achieving certain degree of subtlety and tone playing on a piano.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
now i sort of regret it , because the bulky wrists /forearms prevent me from achieving certain degree of subtlety and tone playing on a piano.
Is that just from the muscle mass or have you also lost speed and flexibility? I wonder if stretching would help? (I stretch my forearms while resting between/on climbs because they ******* burn but maybe I should be doing it more intentionally?)

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
my wrists and forearms were pretty small when i was coming out of high school and into college, but after lifting for several years, they did bulk up to the point of looking like Man wrists and forearms.
no real isolating exercises per se, just lifting experience for over 10 years (since 18 years old to 29) bulked up my wrists and forearms,

tounge.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Is that just from the muscle mass or have you also lost speed and flexibility? I wonder if stretching would help? (

not really sure what it is , but i guess it is speed and flexibility too. the point it, i have to have arm, forearm, shoulders all relaxed, and my fingers like steel/tense. but i have it the other way around, i have my fingers rubbery relaxed, but my forearms all tense. that is not the way to do it. i tried stretching, but it i am eventually realizing it is something i am going to have to find a workaround to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads