• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wrists and forearms

brap

Reaction score
hey i was just wondering what exercises that i can do to make my wrists larger, if that's possible?
plain.gif

and my forearms...thanks
smile.gif

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"finger curls" Hold a dumbbell in your fist and dangle your arm straight down. Open your grip on the dumbbell as much as you can, then close your grip. Repeat. A lot.

Also, do pullups from your fingertips, and pushups holding yourself up on your fingertips.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Farmer's Walks.... Grab the heaviest dumbells (or objects) you can hold and walk around the room until you're about to drop them. Rest a minute... repeat... repeat... repeat... Nothing beats farmer's walks for building practical hand strength and forearm size. Mine were always undersized compared to the rest of me until these.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
who the hell wants fat wrists?
wow.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uhhmm... men with small (<7.5" in circumference) wrists?
tounge.gif

Edsal17

Reaction score
Get yourself a wrist roller. You can usually pick one up at Walmart for about $15. Use it in conjunction with the farmers walk, reverse bicep curls, forearm curls and reverse forearm curls. After a couple weeks of doing all of these every other day or every third day you will be amazed at the difference.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Farmer's Walks.... Grab the heaviest dumbells (or objects) you can hold and walk around the room until you're about to drop them. Rest a minute... repeat... repeat... repeat... Nothing beats farmer's walks for building practical hand strength and forearm size. Mine were always undersized compared to the rest of me until these.

This is one nice side effect of working out with dumbbells, you don't even have to work out your forearms/wrists because you get this effect by carrying them to and from the bench you work out at.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've done a lot of forearm development at times, including hammering siding all day every day for months, and my wrists themselves never really got bigger, though my hands did to some extent. I have a pretty decent grip (which reminds me, I want to order the #1 and #2 grippers as the T is pretty easy now) and decent forearms still but I think I'm doomed by small bones to have tiny wrists no matter what.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edsal17
Get yourself a wrist roller. You can usually pick one up at Walmart for about $15. Use it in conjunction with the farmers walk, reverse bicep curls, forearm curls and reverse forearm curls. After a couple weeks of doing all of these every other day or every third day you will be amazed at the difference.

I don't think spending time just working on wrists is necessary. It's not possible to get significantly bigger wrists without adding muscle to other parts of your body. Besides, the exercises you listed are too easy and should only be done after a real workout. One'd be better off using fat bars instead of olympic bars for regular lifts (DL, benches, lat pulldown...). Or dumbbells like drizzt1337 said.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It may not be necessary, but it's something you can do pretty much any time. You don't need to change or pull out heavy stuff, for example those grippers are very small and I just leave them on my coffee table or nearby and use them when I'm watching a movie or whatever.

Also, I exercise my grip by carrying 12-packs of beer (cans) around and out of the store by gripping the sides of the box. I probably do this exercise more than I should, though.
tounge.gif
But there are plenty of opportunities in everyday life to do things the harder way and develop your grip.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't make your wrists bigger, that's genetics, you can strengthen your wrists.

Besides, smaller wrists help proportions when your forearms get big.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I used to take a round wooden dowel (approx 1&quot; wide) and tie a string from the dowel to a paint can.

Then, hold your arms straight out and twist the dowel until the paint can reaches your hands and then let it down slowly. Killer!

It was great for hockey! But, then again, hockey is great for wrists and forearms also.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men with small wrists can look awkward when wearing a sizable watch.

Edsal17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I don't think spending time just working on wrists is necessary. It's not possible to get significantly bigger wrists without adding muscle to other parts of your body. Besides, the exercises you listed are too easy and should only be done after a real workout. One'd be better off using fat bars instead of olympic bars for regular lifts (DL, benches, lat pulldown...). Or dumbbells like drizzt1337 said.

I posted my reply with the assumption that Brap already has a workout plan. I agree these exercises should be part of a full body regiment. As for too easy I disagree. Its all about the weight and number of repetitions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads