• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wrists and forearms

Edsal17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
FWIW, I used to take a round wooden dowel (approx 1" wide) and tie a string from the dowel to a paint can.

Then, hold your arms straight out and twist the dowel until the paint can reaches your hands and then let it down slowly. Killer!

It was great for hockey! But, then again, hockey is great for wrists and forearms also.

That is basically a wrist roller. Great exercise.

TurboTropic

Reaction score
Wrists don't have muscles in them so there's no way to increase their size through exercise.

Increasing the size of your forearms will also make your wrists appear smaller.

CBDB

Reaction score
Umm...there is a time tested way to execise your wrists that you should try but be sure to switch hands occassionally (it feels like someone else).

N.B. There may be specific cultural or religious prohibitions against this exercise, please check with your local authorities
laugh.gif

LanAltec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
Umm...there is a time tested way to execise your wrists that you should try but be sure to switch hands occassionally (it feels like someone else).

I was waiting for this joke to come out! I though it would have been much sooner.
laugh.gif

Roger Mellie

Reaction score
The only way is direct forarm work such as farmers walk, and pinch lifting plates etc. I have used wrist rollers in the past and didn't find them much help. People have said that wrists can grow from lifting heavy weighs, but I believe this is nonsense. The only time joints can seem to grow is as a person gets old, and you can't wait for that.

Dirk Benedict

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
"finger curls" Hold a dumbbell in your fist and dangle your arm straight down. Open your grip on the dumbbell as much as you can, then close your grip. Repeat. A lot.

Also, do pullups from your fingertips, and pushups holding yourself up on your fingertips.

you can also do this using a second technique:

Sit and rest your arm on your leg with your wrist positioned where your knee ends. Curling the dumbbell in your fingertips, let your hand dangle and open towards the ground. Then curl your hand up and squeeze it tight around the dumbbell until your forearm is completely flexed. Repeat. A lot.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thick handles on your existing dumbbells and barbells are another excellent way to build forearms. You can just slip a piece of PVC pipe over them and voila, they are much harder to hold onto. Same with chinup bars, etc. Also, try wrapping thick manila ropes or towels around a barbell and clamping onto that to do lifts instead of the bar itself. Not easy.

This site also has a ton of easy "found item" exercises you can do. This guy basically wanders around his yard and makes up insanely hard ways of doing things to build his grip.

http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms.../GripTip1.html

I particularly like the one where you take two blob weights (the big ends of a solid dumbbell cut off, usually 15+ pounds each) and pinch them in your hands, then crawl along the ground like that. You will look insane, but it would thrash your forearms, I'm sure.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just got:

gripper1ob2.jpg

the #1 and #2 grippers from Ironmind (that's my T on the left) and the Expand Your Hand Bands, which are a bit of a ripoff maybe but hopefully will keep me from wrecking my forearms/elbows. They are basically just heavy duty rubberbands, but they are graded and guaranteed, and I figured I might as well combine shipping since I'd probably end up getting them at some point anyway. Right out of the box I could close the #1 (though not easy, 140lb.) and I can get the #2 (195lb.) to just beyond parallel:

gripper2lg0.jpg

Well I did, it's very hard to hold it while taking a pic with your left hand
laugh.gif

My quest to be the shrimpiest person ever to close the #3 (280lb.) has begun.

Come on, who's with me? I'll never bench with you guys but I'd like to see how you 12" drop dudes do on these things.

Cusovr6

Reaction score
Deadlifts or anything that involves heavy lifting requiring you to squeeze and hold in a standing position. Also the Farmers walk will help tremendously.

G79

Reaction score
Those powerballs looks like worth giving a shot !

migo

Reaction score
I've tried the powerballs...they're a loooot of fun...kind of like a lit up version of the grips...the only thing i didn't like was that it's too easy to not push yourself, and that can put a damper on your progress.

Rock climbing is a really good way to strengthen not only your fingers, wrists, and forearms, but also your whole upper body in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads