• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wrap-round briefcase suggestion

nabi

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fond of wrap-round briefcase design, and am ready to get out of black ballistic bag.
First, I learned about SAB bagn and of course I loved it. But it's above my budget.
Other options are I'm considering are,
-Glaser flapover bag
-MW-traveler laptop bag
-Walden bag
I found several (mostly positive) comments/reviews on Glaser and MW-traveler. Have you guys have any comments/reviews on Wladen bags? As I can not see it in person, I like to leverage opinions of fellow members.
I plan to take it to work - a large engineering company.

Regards,

P.S. I wish I found this site earlier. I've already got enough # of shoes and shirts according to my boss at home:-( I could have had differnet choices on my shoes and shirts...

Rambler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nabi
Hi,

I'm fond of wrap-round briefcase design, and am ready to get out of black ballistic bag.
First, I learned about SAB bagn and of course I loved it. But it's above my budget.
Other options are I'm considering are,
-Glaser flapover bag
-MW-traveler laptop bag
-Walden bag
I found several (mostly positive) comments/reviews on Glaser and MW-traveler. Have you guys have any comments/reviews on Wladen bags? As I can not see it in person, I like to leverage opinions of fellow members.
I plan to take it to work - a large engineering company.

Regards,

P.S. I wish I found this site earlier. I've already got enough # of shoes and shirts according to my boss at home:-( I could have had differnet choices on my shoes and shirts...

Check out the Filson field satchel. I just picked one up and have also owned an SAB wrap-around case in London tan. If you are ok with dark brown, you cannot go wrong with the field satchel. Do a search and you'll find lot's of info on it. Or check out the 'Briefcase Appreciation' thread. I just posted pics of my field satchel there.

I think the Waldenbags are really nice, especially the Diplomat with round lock. I just wish there was more user info out there to read about, like with Filson and SAB.

nabi

Reaction score
Yes, I read about Filson, and it would be another option.
Too bad that very few of my co-workers in my campus (with thousands of engineers) impressed me with one of those nice briefcases. I just see nice ones at airport mostly:)
I hope this thread encourage users of Walden bag to share their experiences, it there's any.

Regards,

mjc

Reaction score
The Filson satchel is nice because the straps are not secured by quick-release snaps. Those snaps sound nice, but they are the very first things to break (speaking from experience). Many briefcases have hidden snaps behind the straps. Beware!

Rambler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
The Filson satchel is nice because the straps are not secured by quick-release snaps. Those snaps sound nice, but they are the very first things to break (speaking from experience). Many briefcases have hidden snaps behind the straps. Beware!

I agree, I would avoid any that have snaps. Some people complain about the hassle of undoing the straps but to me, it's part of the experience of owning a fine case.

nabi

Reaction score
Thank you for warning onquick release thingy. I guess no matter how vendors claim, it's no match for buckle in terms of durability...

Seeing pictures only, Filson leather does not look as supple as SAB. Filson looks rugged for sure.

Any other guggestions on high quality flapover/wrap-round bags?

Dob

Reaction score
I don't recall your budget but likely the grail of fine flapover/wrap around bags would be a Swaine Adeney. The exchange rate is not bad right now and there may be deals to be had but they are a very expensive (but lifetime) bag. There is also a less expensive Daines and Hathaway version. It really depends on what kind of leather you like, the stiffness you want, etc etc. Custom Hide seems generally well thought of at their price-point although there are some mixed reviews. Like the idea / look of the Walden bags but have not examined them. Not a fan of Saddleback. Love my Filson 258 as a bag for grad school but never really cared for their leather case. I am sure there are many other options. I really like the Glaser bags also but they are a little different than perhaps what you want.

Rambler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nabi
Thank you for warning onquick release thingy. I guess no matter how vendors claim, it's no match for buckle in terms of durability...

Seeing pictures only, Filson leather does not look as supple as SAB. Filson looks rugged for sure.

Any other guggestions on high quality flapover/wrap-round bags?

Having owned both I can say that the bridle leather is almost identical in terms of strength and feel. SAB just smooths theirs out more so there are no creases or lines anywhere. Some on this site have mentioned that Filson even sources their bridle hide from England. Also, the Filson locks are made by Cheney, a British company.

Custom Hide also makes a nice one called the '1945 US Army Briefcase.'

http://www.customhide.com/custom_194...briefcase.html

nabi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dob
I don't recall your budget but likely the grail of fine flapover/wrap around bags would be a Swaine Adeney. The exchange rate is not bad right now and there may be deals to be had but they are a very expensive (but lifetime) bag. There is also a less expensive Daines and Hathaway version. It really depends on what kind of leather you like, the stiffness you want, etc etc. Custom Hide seems generally well thought of at their price-point although there are some mixed reviews. Like the idea / look of the Walden bags but have not examined them. Not a fan of Saddleback. Love my Filson 258 as a bag for grad school but never really cared for their leather case. I am sure there are many other options. I really like the Glaser bags also but they are a little different than perhaps what you want.
I'm not attracted to Saddlebag although it seems another kind of good bags.
I see that SAB is on top of game, and I like it. However I have not figured out how I justify ~$2K.
Creases on filson bag (on pictures) suggests that leather is not s good as SAB. I guess the price tag says it as well.
I may try out used bag if any of those come up for sale in Buy&Sell section.
Thank you for suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads