• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC the eplorers were around $300. I think the most expensive sweaters were around $500. One of the issues Mauro faces a lot is that he loves to make unique and interesting pieces with luxury materials and construction but it doesn't always jive with his customer base. A lot of people go to him for stuff in the $100 range for upgraded basics, and its hard for him to move pricier stuff sometimes, like the Nicos. It's one of the reasons so many people pushed for him to go pre-order only. Most times it works out ok but in the case of the sweaters it kind of bombed.

psychodealer

Reaction score

IIRC the eplorers were around $300. I think the most expensive sweaters were around $500. One of the issues Mauro faces a lot is that he loves to make unique and interesting pieces with luxury materials and construction but it doesn't always jive with his customer base. A lot of people go to him for stuff in the $100 range for upgraded basics, and its hard for him to move pricier stuff sometimes, like the Nicos. It's one of the reasons so many people pushed for him to go pre-order only. Most times it works out ok but in the case of the sweaters it kind of bombed.

Wow. That is really expensive. The $100 shirts I can swallow but the price on the sweaters are just too much. How much of an advantage can his sweaters have over the starks? There's quite a bit of diminishing return when it comes to stuff like that imo.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Starks (which retail around $300) are actually really coarse (most SNS sweaters are IME), and at least part of the construction takes place in Latvia or somewhere like that. I think Mauro was using more expensive materials (cashmere and cashwool) and more expensive labor (Italy and US).

psychodealer

Reaction score
Starks (which retail around $300) are actually really coarse (most SNS sweaters are IME), and at least part of the construction takes place in Latvia or somewhere like that. I think Mauro was using more expensive materials (cashmere and cashwool) and more expensive labor (Italy and US).
Cashmere and Cashwool huh? I think I would've probably went after a Cashwool, considering I don't really think cashmere wool is worth it.

I see... So Starks are rougher than even Mauro's less soft offering. Was the $200 before or after the membership discount?

I would've probably went after a marled Cardigan.

I think the wools came in around 200 or so and the cashmere 450, both nicer than the stark IMO.

Wow. Cashmere is expensive. But I guess if it's that good.

goldenbear

Reaction score

Wow. That is really expensive. The $100 shirts I can swallow but the price on the sweaters are just too much. How much of an advantage can his sweaters have over the starks? There's quite a bit of diminishing return when it comes to stuff like that imo.

I dont know all the prices. The Connery I bought was only $170 w/ the VIP discount and was a great value.

Last edited:

DarkDestiny

Reaction score
I so would have bought the explorer if I didn't have a stark already. One sweater of that collar type is more than enough for me. He had a mock up with a shawl that I would have insta-copped, but that never went into production :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads