• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why you should major in Economics.

TheApple

Reaction score
Saw this on another forum. Thought I'd post it here.

I. Humor
II. Job Prospects
III. Respect
IV. Graduate School
V. Versatility
VI. Social Benefit
VII. Personal Benefit

I. Humor

This is a joke heard a lot in Econ, but I think it gives a pretty good idea of the versatility of economics:

A mathematician, an accountant and an economist apply for the same job.
The interviewer calls in the mathematician and asks "What do two plus two equal?" The mathematician replies "Four." The interviewer asks "Four, exactly?" The mathematician looks at the interviewer incredulously and says "Yes, four, exactly."
Then the interviewer calls in the accountant and asks the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The accountant says "On average, four - give or take ten percent, but on average, four."
Then the interviewer calls in the economist and poses the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The economist gets up, locks the door, closes the shade, sits down next to the interviewer and says, "What do you want it to equal"?

II. Job Prospects

"Meanwhile, the economics, finance and math majors are pursing jobs with salaries that often double once they've gotten some decent experience under their belts."
"The kinds of majors where you learn to integrate mathematics and science with the everyday world have a tremendous benefit in terms of earnings potential," says PayScale.com's Lee. These include economics, engineering, finance and mathematics."
- Forbes
*Most Lucrative College Majors - Forbes.com

College Degrees in Most Demand: 2009
6. Economics/Finance
Average starting salary: $49,794

5. Business Administration/Management
Average starting salary: $45,887

- CNBC
*College Degrees in Most Demand: 2009 - Slideshows - CNBC.com

Best entry-level salaries for new grads:

Economics - $52,926
Career options for economics majors vary from private consulting for businesses to working for government agencies.
[Higher than every major except engineering]

- CNN
*Best entry-level salaries for new grads - CNN.com

[Econ higher than everything except Engineering for starting salary, and even beating certain Engineering majors by mid-career salary]

- Payscale
*Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary
* Can Plato pay the bills? | blog.bioethics.net

6. Economics
Average Starting Salary: $47,782
[Once again, higher than everything but Engineering]

Top 10 Paying College Majors -- Education-Portal.com

"The most lucrative college major is economics, which has an earnings premium of 0.33 log points and a premium of 0.19 including occupation controls."
- Goldin and Katz analysis of Harvard graduates
* Greg Mankiw's Blog: Why Major in Economics?

"The National Association of Colleges and Employers undertook a survey in the summer of 2001 in which they identified the starting salary offers in different disciplines. The starting salary in economics/finance was $40,776. The starting salary in business administration was 7.7 percent lower at $37,844."
- CSUSM
* The Economics Major

Major Yearly Salary Ranges

Business $36,000 - $55,000
Economics $40,000 - $60,000

- Hollins
* Why Major in Economics? - Benefits of Economics Major - Hollins University

According to the US Department for Labor, "Employment of economists and market and survey researchers is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2010."
- Roosevelt
* Roosevelt University - Why major in Economics?

"Pooja Jotwani, a recent graduate of Georgetown University in Washington D.C., says she is certain her economics degree helped her land a job in Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.'s sales and trading division, where she will earn $55,000, not including bonus. She says the major strengthened her business skills and provided her with something very simple: "financial security.""

- Wall Street Journal Online
* WSJ.com - The Hot Major For Undergrads Is Economics

"The mean monthly income of individuals possessing bachelor's degrees in economics exceeded the mean monthly income of individuals with degrees in business administration and management, other social sciences, humanities, and most natural sciences"

- Digest of Educational Statistics
* Interesting Facts

Conclusion:
So... do you need me to keep going? Because I can keep quoting facts and statistics all day. Keep in mind that almost all of these are for just a Bachelor's degree too. So Business is a more practical major than Economics? Then explain to me why almost every major source ranks Economics consistently higher than every other Business major (bus admin, marketing, etc), and even higher than every major except Engineering? Disprove all my sources or shut the **** up. Econ pays and it pays well.

III. Respect
"A few years ago BusinessWeek magazine asked the chief executive officers (CEOs) of major companies what they thought was the best undergraduate degree. Their first choice was engineering. Their second choice was economics. Economics scored higher than business administration."
- CSUSM
* The Economics Major

"In contrast, economics and business majors ranked among the five most-desirable majors in a 2004 survey of employers by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, along with accounting, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. It wasn't just banks and insurance companies that expressed interest in economics majors -- companies in industries such as utilities and retailing did so, too."
"Indeed, the rising popularity of the economics major appears to be a global phenomenon. A recent McKinsey Global Institute study found that the share of degrees in economics and business awarded in Poland from 1996 to 2002 more than doubled, to 36% from 16%; in Russia, the share jumped to 31% from 18%."

- Wall Street Journal Online
*WSJ.com - The Hot Major For Undergrads Is Economics

"When adjusting for size of the pool of graduates, those with undergraduate degrees in Economics are shown to have had a greater likelihood of becoming an S&P 500 CEO than any other major."

- Bently Uni
* SSRN-Economics: A Good Choice of Major for Future CEOs by Patricia M. Flynn, Michael Quinn

"Economics is enjoying surging popularity with college students, especially at the
nation's most elite institutions. Economics is the top major at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford and the Universities of Pennsylvania and Chicago; second at Brown, Yale and the University of California at Berkeley; and third at Cornell and Dartmouth."

- The Wall Street Journal
*Interesting Facts

"Economics training provides you with virtually all of the top ten most important job skills"

- Job Choices Magazine, by the National Association of Colleges and Employers
*Interesting Facts

" I work at the corporate headquarters of Mervyn's as a financial analyst and internal auditor. None of my work relates to the material I studied as an undergrad, but that does not imply that my economics degree provides little value. As I have found from my own recruiting experience, an economics degree enjoys a great deal of respect because of exposure to issues related to the economy and thus business, as well as the analytical thinking that underlies economics."

- Berkeley Alum
*What Can I Do With an Econ Major?

Famous CEOs with an Econ Major:

Ted Turner, CEO CNN, Atlanta Braves/Hawks (Brown)
Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft (Harvard)
Scott McNealy, CEO, Sun Microsystems (Harvard)
Meg Whitman, CEO, Ebay Technologies (Princeton)
William Harrison, Jr., CEO, JP Morgan Chase (UNC-Chapel Hill)
John Sweeny, President, AFL-CIO (Iona College)
Kenneth Lay, CEO of Enron (University of Houston, PhD)
Donald Trump, Real Estate/TV Mogul (University of Pennsylvania- Wharton)
Warren Buffet, Financier (Columbia School of Business, Master's in Economics)
Sam Walton, Founder of Wal-Mart, (University of Missouri)

*Famous Economic Majors

IV. Graduate School

"A study by Craft and Baker (2003) published in the Journal of Economic Education found that lawyers with degrees in economics earned $10,000 more per year than the average lawyer with another degree."

"Ed Tom, the former director of admissions for the U.C. - Berkley law school explains: "Of all majors, economics ranks in the top four or five consistently year after year for both applications and admissions.... Logical reasoning and analytical skills are critical to legal studies" (Craft and Baker, 2003)."

"According to the latest data available, economics majors ranked first among majors with at least 2,200 students taking the LSAT. Economics majors earn an average score of 156.6, which is in the 72nd percentile."

*Do Economics Majors Make Better Lawyers? | Whittemore School of Business & Economics

"Economics majors are ranked with physics and theology majors as the highest achievers on the LSAT, the Law School entrance exams. Employers are impressed when they see potential employees have an economics major or minor."

- Roosevelt
*Roosevelt University - Why major in Economics?

"Economics is also excellent preparation for an MBA. The same Wall Street Journal article quotes Richard Silverman, executive director of admissions at Yale School of Management, as saying "The best people are more frequently taking economics as their major than they were a decade ago." He goes on to say "It shows they have the intellectual fire in the belly to perform well in an MBA program.""

*Why be an Economics Major? - Quinnipiac University - Hamden, Connecticut

"I am now in Law School at Harvard. Nowadays, an Economics degree is one of the most helpful degrees to have for an entering law student. In my experience, it is the only academic non-legal subject that every substantive introductory law class teaches; every class thereafter assumes one has an understanding of economics."

"Currently, I am a Ph.D. student in physical chemistry at Princeton University. My research area is the theory of the optimal control of molecular quantum phenomena. At Berkeley, I was a double major in economics and mathematics. Originally, I had planned on doing financial economics in grad school, but I was lured into the physical sciences after working for a year after graduation as a research assistant at the UCB College of Chemistry. Many of the things I learned as an economics major are still valuable..."

"After my economics graduation, I continued my graduate studies and earned a Masters degree in Information Management Systems from UC Berkeley School of Information Management and Systems. With both Economics and Technical skills, I was able to gain many job interviews with Silicon Valley companies."

- Berkeley Alums
*What Can I Do With an Econ Major?

V. Versatility

*Under Construction

VI. Social Benefit

*Under Construction

VII. Personal Benefit

*Under Construction

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...economics.html

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. Sure you don't want to major in Literature?

Seriously. One could do worse than a degree in Economics.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Economics is truly a dismal major. Just ask me.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesus I didn't see who posted this when I replied. So this thread was actually serious?
facepalm.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose the joke in the beginning was chuckle-worthy. Other than that, info seemed interchangeable with other majors.

w.mj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Economics is truly a dismal major. Just ask me.

Economics is freaking great. But that's mainly because I hate myself and try actively to make my life as miserable as possible.

warmpi

Reaction score
actually.. the first joke is supposed to be accountants and how they're known to cook the books.

makes a lot more sense if you think about it .

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
28ld3n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics