• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do YOU need money?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NVM

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
There is no point in wasting money in an attempt to enjoy it all today. I'm not going to spend to get something I don't need or even want.

Do I really need a 212' yacht if 132' accomplishes all I want?
Do I really need 20 big screen TV's when none gives me everything I want?

Your Feadship is only 132'? That must suck when Abramovich pulls up next to you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Your Feadship is only 132'? That must suck when Abramovich pulls up next to you.
Now, now ... I'm not a size queen. I pay no attention.

That said, I might have Winston hand deliver a message, "Dear Captain Stubing, Could you please relocate the Love Boat, it's blocking my view. Sincerely, RSS"

Or perhaps I'll just flash via signal lamp in Morse Code.

.... . -.-- ... - ..- -... .. -. --. -.-- --- ..- -... .. --. .. -.. --- .. - --..-- -- --- ...- . - .... .- - - ..- -... --- ..-. .- -.-. .-. ..- .. ... . ... .... .. .--. --..-- -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . -... .-.. --- -.-. -.- .. -. --. -- -.-- ...- .. . .-- .-.-.-​

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Now, now ... I'm not a size queen. I pay no attention.

That said, I might have Winston hand deliver a message, "Dear Captain Stubing, Could you please relocate the Love Boat, it's blocking my view. Sincerely, RSS"

Or perhaps I'll just flash via signal lamp in Morse Code.

.... . -.-- ... - ..- -... .. -. --. -.-- --- ..- -... .. --. .. -.. --- .. - --..-- -- --- ...- . - .... .- - - ..- -... --- ..-. .- -.-. .-. ..- .. ... . ... .... .. .--. --..-- -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . -... .-.. --- -.-. -.- .. -. --. -- -.-- ...- .. . .-- .-.-.-​

Since I don't yet own a luxury yacht, I ran that through a translator and came up with this:
HEYSTUBINGYOUBIGIDOIT,MOVETHATTUBOFACRUISESHIP,YOUAREBLOCKINGMYVIEW.

Or:

HEY STUBING YOU BIG IDOIT, MOVE THAT TUB OF A CRUISE SHIP,YOU ARE BLOCKING MY VIEW.

I'm not sure what STUBING means, but I presume that our multi-generational gap in age might be the source.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I much prefer an understated "black car" with a driver. I actually like that in Europe/Asia where the typical black cars are Mercedes S and E class, although even a normal American Lincoln Towncar with a driver and a newspaper to me is tons better than a trashy limo. Factory extended wheelbase is ok, I guess.
+1 to live a life of real luxury (not having to schlep around) while going nearly unnoticed by the general masses. I would take a driver and an S class Mercedes over 10 vacation homes. I suppose my ultimate lifestyle would be: A small modern style office in a great office building, working with a small team, selling a fund or something of the sort. Driver + S class and a decent home with wife a really awesome old school style butler. Stuff thats important to me are more simple, like room to have a fun hobby such as woodworking and being able to easily afford a modest lifestyle. I like good restaurants but normally my friends do not, so I dont think thats high up on the importance list.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
+1 to live a life of real luxury (not having to schlep around) while going nearly unnoticed by the general masses. I would take a driver and an S class Mercedes over 10 vacation homes. I suppose my ultimate lifestyle would be: A small modern style office in a great office building, working with a small team, selling a fund or something of the sort. Driver + S class and a decent home with wife a really awesome old school style butler. Stuff thats important to me are more simple, like room to have a fun hobby such as woodworking and being able to easily afford a modest lifestyle. I like good restaurants but normally my friends do not, so I dont think thats high up on the importance list.
I agree and it is very possible. Nothing to it but to do it! Good Butler: $80K+ yr Driver: $50k yr I considered getting a black car + driver when looking for a new car. I decided against it for now but it is still on my list of must-haves for the future. I don't like driving when I actually need to be some place. Only when it's for pure pleasure.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what STUBING means, but I presume that our multi-generational gap in age might be the source.

eh.gif
You don't know the Love Boat?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I'm certain that is it. You have that precious asset called youth.

But EL72 is showing you the way.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need $$$ to pay my rent

Don't need much TBH

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Let's talk money. All of us work because of money. Some of us enjoy our jobs more than others, but in the end, we get up in the morning for the money. In other words, if your job stopped paying you completely, I'm confident in asserting that there is a high probability you would stop going to work or take issue in another way. For some people, the quest for more money is an all-consuming one. In instances, it is purely borne of greed. In other instances, it is an addiction. But in most cases, it is because they are regular, reasonable people who understand they need a certain amount of money to have the things they want. I admit I post this out of selfishness. I am trying to come up with a list of reasons people really work for their money, or more accurately, the reasons people use to rationalize their unending pursuit of green. I want to see how my reasons stack up, and if I've foolishly overlooked something important. Try and split up your answers into two categories: 1) Tangible (Nice house, Private school education for kids, nice clothes, ability to own multiple properties, etc.) 2) Intangible (respect that a high salary commands from my fellow man, keeping up with the Joneses and being able to maintain the lifestyle my friends have, so that my wife doesn't leave me, etc.) Thanks.
Have only read the op, but Metro, have you read Plato's Republic yet? Remember the three reasons he gives why people live? You have the first two above. Remember the third?: virtue/excellence. Money is needed for that too. Aristotle's Ethics spells out why. The most obvious one is generosity. One needs money to be generous. But it can be useful when seeking wisdom and other things too. Of course, A writes, one only needs a moderate amount. So send the rest to me. JK. But there's some seriousness to that. Money can help us fund our own pursuit of excellence and that of others. When you buy stuff for yourself, you vote on what kind of businesses you want to keep in business, you vote on what craftspeople, writers, etc, you want to support in their pursuits of excellence. You fund excellence. This can be done by both purchases and donations. So I'd add a number three, w/ two parts.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I just need money to make more money. When you have enough capital it's really more about the hustle, than buying the stuff you think you want. Playing with money is fun. I feel ashamed to say this, but getting over on someone and making a huge profit feels awesome. Again... that shames me.

Did you pinch this directly from Wall Street?
wink.gif

"You see that building? I bought that building ten years ago. My first real estate deal. Sold it two years later, made an $800,000 profit. It was better than sex."
"It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another."

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Did you pinch this directly from Wall Street?
wink.gif

No.
blush.gif

I am micro time compared to the Gekko's of the world, but you don't need millions to enjoy the game. Doesn't matter what financial level you are in. It's like a high and you never have enough time for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads