• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t specifically keep track but I’m pretty sure it was the urbanEDC Pena caballero.

I have a shark lock coming to me for Christmas so I’m excited to finally have one to carry.
Nice. Which one?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBD. I sent my wife three links to choose from/surprise me:

Flytanium arcade
Shark cub (slicer, black handle)
20.5 in 3v/black g10
Hmmm, I like them all, and all have their pluses and minuses.
Flytanium Arcade: Most aesthetically please, and good aftermarket parts, including nice inlays. The Aluminum could be smoothed out a bit more at the edges.
Sharkcub: Excellent small knife, but I prefer the stud to the hole to open knives (I have the slicer blade) Pocket clip is just fine, unlike the Flytanium, which is excellent, or the 20.5, for which the clip is very strong.
AD20.5 - And excellent small to mid sized EDC. Of the three, probably the best functional knife. The only thing I would like is a bit more aesthetic flare, especially with the Arcade now available. Make a version with Damasteel or an inlay or something.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flytanium Arcade: Most aesthetically please, and good aftermarket parts, including nice inlays. The Aluminum could be smoothed out a bit more at the edges.
Sharkcub: Excellent small knife, but I prefer the stud to the hole to open knives (I have the slicer blade) Pocket clip is just fine, unlike the Flytanium, which is excellent, or the 20.5, for which the clip is very strong.
AD20.5 - And excellent small to mid sized EDC. Of the three, probably the best functional knife. The only thing I would like is a bit more aesthetic flare, especially with the Arcade now available. Make a version with Damasteel or an inlay or something.

I figure I can’t really go wrong with any of the three. It’s hard to find a way to be both surprised and satisfied with a gift of something I’m at least a little picky about so I thought this would be the best way.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure I can’t really go wrong with any of the three. It’s hard to find a way to be both surprised and satisfied with a gift of something I’m at least a little picky about so I thought this would be the best way.
I usually just give Jen a list as well. I’m the gift giver in our house, and I think that this just takes some of the stress off. No knives on this years list though. I think that the only recent releases that I would like are some customs, and they are not only expensive, but often a bit more maintenance prone than most good production knives.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got the 20CV version in G10.

IMG_1487.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a G10 and 20CV full sized AD20, but not the AD20.5. How do you like it?

I like it. The action and lockup is as good as I hoped/expected. It came super sharp. My only minor gripe is that the G10 texturing is pretty aggressive and there’s no smooth spot under the clip. I’m a bit concerned it’ll tear up my pockets. But I am happy with it.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a G10 and 20CV full sized AD20, but not the AD20.5. How do you like it?

I’m sure you probably told me this, but the Demko feels head and shoulders better than the Protech Malibu. Carry profile is about the only thing I can say in the Malibu’s favor honestly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure you probably told me this, but the Demko feels head and shoulders better than the Protech Malibu. Carry profile is about the only thing I can say in the Malibu’s favor honestly
I hope that they do a collab with some amazing aesthetic designers. That is the one place that the Flytanium Demko Arcade shines. For locks, ergonomics, and functionality, it's hard to beat Demko.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope that they do a collab with some amazing aesthetic designers. That is the one place that the Flytanium Demko Arcade shines. For locks, ergonomics, and functionality, it's hard to beat Demko.

How strong is the detent on your ad 20.5s?

I can deploy mine with a strong wrist flick without touching the blade or the lock. Was just wondering if that was normal. It’s not dangerous, I have to flick pretty hard.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How strong is the detent on your ad 20.5s?

I can deploy mine with a strong wrist flick without touching the blade or the lock. Was just wondering if that was normal. It’s not dangerous, I have to flick pretty hard.
Knives that don't have lockbars don't technically have a detent, which is the little ball (or nub, in the case Sharp by Design knives). The resistance to opening is from a spring in the shark lock, same as for the axis or other bar locks. They are perfectly safe and have (if done correctly) are safer open and being closed.

A knife with a weak detent, can open, a that is dangerous because there is no further resistance to the blade opening, whereas for a spring lock like the shark lock has resistance, drawing the blade back into the handle, until the blade is quite a ways open. This the the same mechanism that makes the closing of the knife so fun.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a minute since I wanted a folding knife purely because I saw it and went... woaaaaah. But the new WE OAO, designed by Tashi Bharucha, it is. Amazing profile? Check. Beautiful aluminum foil carbon fiber inlay? Check. Integral Titanium handle? Check. Just waiting for them to drop at White Mountain Knives so that I can get 10% off,

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a minute since I wanted a folding knife purely because I saw it and went... woaaaaah. But the new WE OAO, designed by Tashi Bharucha, it is. Amazing profile? Check. Beautiful aluminum foil carbon fiber inlay? Check. Integral Titanium handle? Check. Just waiting for them to drop at White Mountain Knives so that I can get 10% off,

Bought it,

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit of an impulse buy, but I recently picked up a Wingback Pen. Was hoping for the titanium version but it hasn't been available for a while so I went with the stainless. The SS has a nice heft to it. Fisher refills, the knurling, machining and overall feel is fantastic. Wingback's made in London. Got here in 3 days and I'm pretty happy with it.

IMG_0517.JPG

https://wingback.co.uk/collections/mechanical-pen

Never been much of a pen guy but have carried the same couple of metal body Rotring pens for a good 10 years without losing them. For cheap clicky pens, I've settled on the Sharpie S-Gel's. I love the way they write and losing/lending them isn't an issue. I always have a few in my bag. Anytime someone uses one they ask to keep it. They make both metal and plastic version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads