• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't cuddle or do anything intimate after sex. just zip your fly and bounce. Neither you nor her will catch feelings ever.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
I'm slowly growing tired of my current aesthetic. I want to wear more Ann, OG raf and hl. Just not sure if I can pull it all off as well as I do Julius.
yup. my casual wear consisted of loopwheeled sweatshirts and japanese repo jeans ... now im starting to buy designer stuff. i ******* love most of the stuff ln-cc has ... the slight change is not extreme by any stretch but my clothing picks are evolving, slowly.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my style lately has been uninspired
frown.gif
My clothing choices are always geared towards comfort and function. Maybe it's a sign of getting old
frown.gif
I don't know

Also, being out of shape doesn't help because my choice of clothing is limited since so many of the styles just do not fit me because I'm so fat. I can only buy jeans at Gap. And I can't buy a decent looking belt so I have to use a suspender that I bought from Rochester Big & Tall
frown.gif

I know there are better reasons, but I will use FASHION as my motivation. I don't want to keep getting fatter and fatter that both my thighs will start rubbing one another EWW
facepalm.gif

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You need to address that situation now. It doesn't get easier to lose weight as you get older.

Use "fashion" as a motivation if you want, but I would use quality of life as motivation. Life as a fat person looks hard.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you for the encouragement Dlester

I now realize that my fatness really is the sole reason that's hindering me from doing what I really want

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I find it interesting that so many guys split things up like this.

...personal style is reflective of four things: Environment, Personal History, Aspirations or interests, and Attitude.

... the real fun is finding ways to wear both your old prep/trad stuff with your newer military/urban stuff.

I think another important consideration is asking WHY you are moving from one to the next. ...What's powering the change?

I treat style as a physical extension of who I am, so I suppose that's why I approach things the way I do. I haven't changed my core style in a long time since I really integrated it into a part of who I am...

Well as much as I try to see clothing as a stylist costumey type of thing, there's a man side of me that's still thinking in "˜functional' terms, even when the function is actually the image it's portraying. I'm working on making my wardrobe un-generic so I'm trying to focus on looks that are very specific and getting rid of anything that's just plain non-committal. I'm dropping out things that don't go in any real direction so as to focus the looks.

As for the actual split between different concepts, there are a few reasons for that. One is that I have a history coming from more of a prep background, going to private schools and early attempts to dress more "mature". This in large part was also an influence of the MC section which is where I first started off in the forums, so I was copying MC guys for casual wear. I've since become tired of the styling as I find it a little boring, I'm often not really all that comfortable, and I think sometimes it just looks dorky. So there's your combo of environment and history.

The desire to change my physical appearance and impression I give people comes from within; there's a will, an intent to change the way I think about myself and the way I wish to be perceived by others. That desire to change is powered by a dissatisfaction with the "results" I've been having in my environment. It's also based on an interest in further self-discovery. I want to work with different ideas and "˜try on' other looks, and vicariously live different personas that go with them to test where I feel most comfortable. I'm looking to discover new personas that I can integrate into my self-concept as well as reconfirm others by knowing what I don't like. For now I've just started to move into an opposite direction because it's the most obvious reaction...

Also, understand that in reality it won't be that extreme. It's just that I need to keep the extreme end in mind as I wade through mall-brand generic crap and try to pick out a focused conceptual look, I'll have to keep in mind a few strong anchor pieces that can be used as referral points. Coming from where I am, taking an extreme view will probably only end up moving me in a slight direction towards that far end.

As for attitude and aspirations, well that's where I'm going. Hitting mid-20's, I'm trying to finally drop out of rotation anything I wore through high school or college and add a little more edge to my look. I'm trying to get back into the game and spending a lot more time with the SW&D crowd instead of the MC guys. I had been interested in the sort of dressy casual look, integrating MC pieces like "˜the blazer' into casual wear but frankly it's just not me. So I'm working on avoiding that. Of course I still have a lot of those clothes, so I'm marginally refining the look but am now trying to add a whole "˜nother group. TBH I don't really plan to ever fuse the two together.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by colabear
thank you for the encouragement Dlester

I now realize that my fatness really is the sole reason that's hindering me from doing what I really want

I don't know how old you are, but whilst losing weight as you get older isn't easy it is possible. I've always been fairly big, but I hit a 40 waist/46 chest at 34 after a cycling accident left me getting a lot less exercise. I got it down to 38w/44c about two years later, and found dressing easier but still not great. I determined to get down to a 36w/42c for my 40th birthday and pretty much did it in around 3 months. I'm still flabby and could do with shifting a bit more from my waist, but I'm reasonably comfortable where I am now and clothing possibilities have widened tremendously.

Good luck.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
^ If you're intent on integrating blazers, try more relaxed, unstructured sportcoats. slack tide has some pretty awesome fit pics with his

?

"I had been interested in the sort of dressy casual look, integrating MC pieces like "˜the blazer' into casual wear but frankly it's just not me. So I'm working on avoiding that."

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Pretty much buy the best quality "basic" stuff. T's, shorts, trousers, shirts etc. Work out as much as I can and wear said basic pieces without too much/any layering. I won't be able to sell anything ever again here, but recently I have just gone commando and

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
?

"I had been interested in the sort of dressy casual look, integrating MC pieces like "˜the blazer' into casual wear but frankly it's just not me. So I'm working on avoiding that."

Yeah, I get it, but I was suggesting it might be because of how structured blazers tend to look more formal/rigid etc. But if you do want to move away from that, that's cool

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I don't know how old you are, but whilst losing weight as you get older isn't easy it is possible. I've always been fairly big, but I hit a 40 waist/46 chest at 34 after a cycling accident left me getting a lot less exercise. I got it down to 38w/44c about two years later, and found dressing easier but still not great. I determined to get down to a 36w/42c for my 40th birthday and pretty much did it in around 3 months. I'm still flabby and could do with shifting a bit more from my waist, but I'm reasonably comfortable where I am now and clothing possibilities have widened tremendously. Good luck.
thank you I know I'm capable of losing weight because I have done it two times before. I was an overweight kid since junior high and my weight went up to 290 lbs freshman year of high school. My gym teacher then encouraged me to loose weight because I excelled in wrestling during gym class and he wanted me to join our high school's wrestling team. So during the summer of my freshman year towards sophomore year. For 3 months in Canada while staying with my grand parents, everyday I power walked for about 5 miles going around the subdivision where my grandparents lived. I also played tennis for an hour a day which made me excel in tennis too. In the morning and evening, I did sets of sit ups and push ups. Coupled with a diet of fish, fruits, vegetables, and low carbs, I was able to loose 80 lbs in four months. During the beginning of sophomore year of high school, I weighed 210 lbs and 6 foot, but I think I'm big boned because even at 210, I can fit in a size 36 pants and M shirt. Through the beginning of fashion design school and at the same time slaving at my families restaurant business, I gained it all back plus more. But then I had a crush on someone and lost weight again. then it didn't workout and also holding my career because I had to focus more energy in the family business due to a family member's illness, I gained it all back again. Thank God my family recovered from the illness and the business is doing solid. Now it's time for me again. I'm 290 lbs now and aiming to go down to 230 lbs in 3 months for my birthday in july then after that, I am aiming to go down 190 which is the lowest I weighed since junior high.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
holy **** this thread is alpha as ****

I have this fantasy where I'm a cossack aviator who's crash-landed in Morocco, but then maybe I get shot into outer space where everyone just dances to 80's hair-metal and reads absurdist literature in artificial gravity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads