• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
i've been having a look at moleskin, and cords i guess. I probably will get some, but i don't mind a little bit of juxtaposition. Plus, flannel and tweed aren't that formal.

Moleskines are the closest you can get to sweatpants without wearing sweatpants imo, I pretty much wear them because they're comfortable in a different way from flannel and linen.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have two distinct wardrobes now. One of them of them is on the preppy side and the other is a little more avant garde. I'm not sure how important overall cohesion is, but I feel like I can put together good fits in either camp.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Losing weight... shifting towards a looser, somewhat draped aesthetic, at least to an experimental degree

branss

Reaction score
Seasons really affect me. Every winter I vow to only wear all-black, avant-garde pieces, and by early June I'm buying white suede Allen Edmonds and cardigans. But as I enter my 20s, my style's generally heading toward timeless items. I'm looking for well-made pieces whose construction and styling won't be outdated any time soon.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Here's a store for you: http://chcmshop.com/ About CHCM We are obsessed with classic, timeless garments for everyday use. Our collection consists mainly of American and European manufacturing brands with a strong heritage, as well as contemporary brands with a similar outlook. Whether a garment was originally designed for warmth in unforgiving environments, wind resistant and water repellent for country pursuits, smooth and breathable for comfort in the spring and summer, or just conceived with an honest function in mind, the important thing is that these features translate into every day use for urban dwellers, whilst keeping you looking good and thus feeling good as time wears on.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realised yesterday that all items I wore were 2-4 years old (j crew chambray shirt, Duffer red chambray pants, ll bean dirty bucks). And I still thought it looked fresh. Only thing Ive added recently are two pairs of good khakis, but thats far from a change style wise, more of and update.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I feel like I have two distinct wardrobes now. One of them of them is on the preppy side and the other is a little more avant garde. I'm not sure how important overall cohesion is, but I feel like I can put together good fits in either camp.

guess that's how I am in a way except I know I look way better on one side compared to the other

however, summer (luckily?) limits me to one side

Reaction score
i dressed like an amjack yesterday. pumas, funky true religion jeans and stripey shirt. i wore those things like 4 years ago. dunno how i got there agen.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, branss. Classic, quality pieces that fit like a dream are what I want filling my closet.

I'm studying abroad in Europe for about half a year come next Spring, and have already begun to consider what I wish to pack for the trip (only the bare essentials). As I'm making this list, I'm beginning to realize exactly what I want, aesthetically. I think the whole desert island scenario is a great to zero in on one's personal aesthetic, and also a great way to find one's "outfit."

Eh?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Buying more expensive t-shirts. That's about it for right now.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
get with it

parc

Reaction score
I guess if I had to give a term to what I'm looking for my style to become it would have to be a mixture of an average GQ young-man style ( l/s button-downs in a myriad of colors with rolled-up sleeves, chinos, denim, bracelets, boots) and average college student (graphic and no-graphics tees, only Vans authentic sneakers and not caps). I like both of these styles and enjoy choosing which one I'll wake-up and put-on. I want my wardrobe to have clothes I can wear all year round.

mellow

Reaction score
I'm slowly being sucked into the Damir Doma universe. Rick Owens also has some appeal for me, but there isn't enough color
frown.gif

crimpologist

Reaction score
^ I admire that kind of style (RO, Doma, etc.), I've ordered the odd item here and there but never really wore or kept them. The thing with those types of brand/styles is I find the looks are just a bit severe for whatever setting I'm in. The same goes for even the few Robert Geller items I have. If I'm not at work (in chinos and collared shirts), I'm usually out with my wife and/or son where "plain"/active clothes are more ideal. So that edgier style is something I can only admire looking at, while my own style has gotten more "classic dad" I guess.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, as a revision of my previous statement, I've been following high fashion runways and products more closely, and am really loving some of the wilder statement pieces. I'm especially a fan of fair isle/navajo/geometric printing seen in brands like White Mountaineering, Sunny Sports, Junya Watanabe, Ervell, Sidian/Ersatz/Vanes, and so on. I think that if one were to pursue an otherwise classic aesthetic (chinos, dark denims, white OCBD's), a single statement piece from one of these brands would be really cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment to actually attempt such sartorial daring IRL
frown.gif
Anyone else sweating these crazy patterns as much as me? edit: Found a blog that matches almost perfectly with what I've been looking for, and in the process I've discovered that it's obscure Japanese fashion that I'm really in love with. The site: http://jamesrmcnally.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads