• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is very casual classic menswear a thing?

seanf999

Reaction score
I'm 22..
I'm a college student and I work part time in a supermarket.

Everyone around me wears joggers, skinny jeans, trainers (sneakers), hoodies.. typical brands include Adidas, Nike, ASOS, Topman, with maybe a little Tommy Hilfiger and the likes thrown in, usually in the form of a logo'd sweatshirt.

I already stand out, because I shave my head, it's a hell of a lot better than the balding situation I had prior to this.

I feel weird in my clothes, I dress like everyone else around me.
I guess the difference between myself and my peers is I know more about high end fashion, I love brands like Brioni, Loro Piana, Tom Ford and the likes..

But I wouldn't even feel comfortable in a pair of loafers, driving mocs, maybe but even then..

It's very easy to say 'oh throw on an Oxford button down, some slim fitting chinos and a nice pair of penny loafers - when everyone around you wears that, when it's just how the majority of men your age dress.

I've tried to get into streetwear, and while I find the history of the brands very interesting - it's not for me.
I guess I want casual luxury styling, old money.. preppy but very informal..
If I wear a pair of converses, a sweater and jeans, I'll look dressed up in comparison to my classmates.

So how informal can you really go?

One style I find myself gravitating towards is that of a 'mobster', for want of a better world..
It's high end but not 'posh', it's brioni polo shirts, slim fitting jeans, suede drivers, a chain and nice Patek..
Also I think part of it is just the devil may care attitude.
But that's bordering on cosplay.
I'm no Tony Soprano, I'm a short, white Irish, business student who likes fancy things..

So where does that leave me?

Edit - Just to add to the point about feeling weird in my clothes..
That started after shaving my head, I've gotten accustomed to seeing a stubbly dome but I find it looks a little out of place in my old adidas hoodie.
Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm bordering on the 'scumbag drug dealer' and not the cool 'Italian mobster'..

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"It's very easy to say 'oh throw on an Oxford button down, some slim fitting chinos and a nice pair of penny loafers - when everyone around you wears that, when it's just how the majority of men your age dress."

Well you sort of answered your own question.

This is basically what I wear, and I'm in a similiar situation. Some variation of a button down collar shirt, short-sleeve or long sleeve, and polos. Various shades of khakis, etc.

Shawl cardigans are a great way to look well dressed, but casual. Field jackets, safari jackets, shirt jackets provide a great mid-layer.

I maintain that every man can use a nice overcoat as well.

This article will be useful to you, I have it saved.

Braid

Reaction score
I'm 22..

Everyone around me wears joggers, skinny jeans, trainers (sneakers), hoodies.. typical brands include Adidas, Nike, ASOS, Topman, with maybe a little Tommy Hilfiger and the likes thrown in, usually in the form of a logo'd sweatshirt.

I already stand out, because I shave my head, it's a hell of a lot better than the balding situation I had prior to this.

I guess the difference between myself and my peers is I know more about high end fashion, I love brands like Brioni, Loro Piana, Tom Ford and the likes..

But I wouldn't even feel comfortable in a pair of loafers, driving mocs, maybe but even then..

It's very easy to say 'oh throw on an Oxford button down, some slim fitting chinos and a nice pair of penny loafers - when everyone around you wears that, when it's just how the majority of men your age dress.

I've tried to get into streetwear, and while I find the history of the brands very interesting - it's not for me.
If I wear a pair of converses, a sweater and jeans, I'll look dressed up in comparison to my classmates.

One style I find myself gravitating towards is that of a 'mobster', for want of a better world..
It's high end but not 'posh', it's brioni polo shirts, slim fitting jeans, suede drivers, a chain and nice Patek..
I'm no Tony Soprano, I'm a short, white Irish, business student who likes fancy things..

That started after shaving my head, I've gotten accustomed to seeing a stubbly dome but I find it looks a little out of place in my old adidas hoodie.
Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm bordering on the 'scumbag drug dealer' and not the cool 'Italian mobster'..

Considering you are very young and work in an informal environment your point of view is very understandable. Loafers are also difficult to pull off, maybe you can try with nice denim, nice shirt and good quality derby shoes or boots. This outfit should be easier to pull off compared to chino+loafers.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the question really. If you're rolling around in "brioni polo shirts, slim fitting jeans, suede drivers, a chain and nice Patek" why are you working at a grocery store? Or is the quote just aspirational and that's the look you're going for despite being on a budget?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 22..

I feel you. most people dress like **** these days, it's really kind of sad. especially in the US maybe apart from some East Coast cities but even there. Germany is the same apart from a few cities. Welcome to 2020 my friend, comfort over style just like most movies these days (I swear if I see another kevin hart or the rock movie being advertised:)

That being said, what did you expect ?most people working in a supermarket obviously don't make a lot of money and people going to the supermarket usually don't try very hard and don't dress up when they are going. Once you work somewhere where people make a little dough it gets better but not much (depending on where you live).

also is connor mcgregor you fashion icon? you pretty much described his style...

seanf999

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the question really. If you're rolling around in "brioni polo shirts, slim fitting jeans, suede drivers, a chain and nice Patek" why are you working at a grocery store? Or is the quote just aspirational and that's the look you're going for despite being on a budget?
It's 100% an aspiration, or at least a silly idea.
I just find the idea of that style cool, it's a lot of 'I've got f you money' but you're still being considerate about what clothes you wear.

I just like the idea of basic but incredibly luxurious styling.
I could stand in a line up with the guy to my left wearing a a Canada Goose jacket and some knock-off Rolex, and they'd assume he's the well off one.. No one would suspect my polo shirt of costing the same as his jacket, or my watch being the price of a house.
Not that I can afford that.

seanf999

Reaction score
I feel you. most people dress like **** these days, it's really kind of sad. especially in the US maybe apart from some East Coast cities but even there. Germany is the same apart from a few cities. Welcome to 2020 my friend, comfort over style just like most movies these days (I swear if I see another kevin hart or the rock movie being advertised:)

That being said, what did you expect ?most people working in a supermarket obviously don't make a lot of money and people going to the supermarket usually don't try very hard and don't dress up when they are going. Once you work somewhere where people make a little dough it gets better but not much (depending on where you live).

also is connor mcgregor you fashion icon? you pretty much described his style...

If I hear another self deprecating 'joke' about Kevin harts slight stature I might just cry.

Work is a given, I mean we wear uniforms, and bar some people coming in in fancy jackets, or the likes, everything is pretty standard.
There's a guy who owns a business just around the corner and he wears a lot of dark wash jeans and Hugo Boss polo shirts, as he trots off to his Ferrari.
But there's teens walking about in Moncler who think they're ballers.

On the topic of Conor McGregor.. I was going to dismiss your question right off the bat but damn maybe you're right.
I'm not too keen on the all over print t-shirts and logo plastered sweatshirts.. but that's kinda what I like.
I'm also Irish.. The guys a tool but he shops local.

seanf999

Reaction score
Considering you are very young and work in an informal environment your point of view is very understandable. Loafers are also difficult to pull off, maybe you can try with nice denim, nice shirt and good quality derby shoes or boots. This outfit should be easier to pull off compared to chino+loafers.

I see your point but at the same time, even wearing a shirt will look a little out of place.
Derbies would actually look more 'normal' if it was in a very fashion forward outfit (forward given the situation, so still quite basic) with just some Doc style derbies, and cropped workwear trousers.. but again that's not my style.

seanf999

Reaction score
"It's very easy to say 'oh throw on an Oxford button down, some slim fitting chinos and a nice pair of penny loafers - when everyone around you wears that, when it's just how the majority of men your age dress."

Well you sort of answered your own question.

This is basically what I wear, and I'm in a similiar situation. Some variation of a button down collar shirt, short-sleeve or long sleeve, and polos. Various shades of khakis, etc.

Shawl cardigans are a great way to look well dressed, but casual. Field jackets, safari jackets, shirt jackets provide a great mid-layer.

I maintain that every man can use a nice overcoat as well.

This article will be useful to you, I have it saved.

Thank you that was a very interesting read!

Shawl cardigans are very cool, I should really start wearing them more often..

I guess I'm after a very informal Italian style..
Maybe it's just I feel the italian style is more informal in itself?
Everything feels a little laid back..

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I hear another self deprecating 'joke' about Kevin harts slight stature I might just cry.

Work is a given, I mean we wear uniforms, and bar some people coming in in fancy jackets, or the likes, everything is pretty standard.
There's a guy who owns a business just around the corner and he wears a lot of dark wash jeans and Hugo Boss polo shirts, as he trots off to his Ferrari.
But there's teens walking about in Moncler who think they're ballers.

On the topic of Conor McGregor.. I was going to dismiss your question right off the bat but damn maybe you're right.
I'm not too keen on the all over print t-shirts and logo plastered sweatshirts.. but that's kinda what I like.
I'm also Irish.. The guys a tool but he shops local.
I actually quite like his style, at least better than mayweather's... but I think he wears a lot of high-end brands like loro piano, plus fitted jeans, sneakers and a chain and also a patek very often... (that's the pic I thought of when reading your post:)

Regarding the actual question, I have stopped worrying about it. I just wear want I want obviously within reason. But obviously I dress according to the occasion also because otherwise I don't feel comfortable, especially if I look like a peacock in the supermarket..

Attachments

• 2020-04-29 09_27_10-(32) Pinterest.png
    2020-04-29 09_27_10-(32) Pinterest.png
    835.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

JJ Katz

Reaction score
If I understand the OP correctly, you would like to wear classic, tailored menswear but are uncomfortable looking different from your sweats-and-t-shirts peers. Neither I nor anyone else can tell you how far you can bend the norms of your group and still feel at ease. Most people my age (middle-aged) who like CM just wear what they like under most circumstances.

Would you feel comfortable in a pair of uncuffed, flat-front chinos, plain grey t-shirt, plain white sneakers and, say, a navy jumper or Harrington jacket? Would that be acceptable, in your milieu?
How about camp mocs, dark jeans and a light-blue shirt?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think J. Crew does a better job than most of making reasonably classic casualwear, especially things that a younger guy can wear. A lot of what's being discussed in this thread -- button-up shirt, slim jeans, flat-front chinos -- have been just subsumed under "clothes." It's stuff you can find anywhere. I'm not sure all that stuff about aspirational lifestyles and luxury materials is anything more than marketing. Rich guys wearing that stuff still look like every other guy with a desk job.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads