• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite new artist in music?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Just looking to see what people like out there for newer music. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut listening to old classic rock and pop but I find every once and a while I find a new artist I really like such as in the past...Beck, Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown, etc.

Who is your fave new artist recently?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our Sleepless Forest's debut album has really grabbed my attention this year-- they make washes of euphoric sound atop a strong rhythm section with occasional samples of "forest sounds." It's basically what would happen if Matthew Cooper hired a drummer and played a set in the woods. The whole idea sounds odd, but it's pretty awesome.

And I'm thinking "new" as 2008-- the list would be way too long otherwise.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Just looking to see what people like out there for newer music. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut listening to old classic rock and pop but I find every once and a while I find a new artist I really like such as in the past...Beck, Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown, etc.

Who is your fave new artist recently?

I can't stop listening to Visiter by the Dodo's. Normally I avoid flavor-of-the-week Pitchfork recommendations like the plague, but my firend burnt it for me and left it at my house. This is just perfect, catchy guitar pop.

This is what I thought Vampire Weekend would sound like due to all the hype. Of course Vampire Weekend sounds like crap, and the relatively un-hyped Dodo's are absolutely excellent.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vampire Weekend, although I overlistened to the album and now cannot listen to it anymore.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Gogol Bordello are like second coming of Christ. They're trancendant, their exciting and they sound like Borat mixed Gypsy wanders mixed with a bit of Minor threat. Somebody said if don't like em you don't like fun - I agree. Check them out

Their better known songs:
American wedding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-oH...eature=related
Wonderlust King -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv3b...eature=related
Through the roof and underground - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv3b...eature=related

oneblood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
Gogol Bordello are like second coming of Christ. They're trancendant, their exciting and they sound like Borat mixed Gypsy wanders mixed with a bit of Minor threat. Somebody said if don't like em you don't like fun - I agree. Check them out Their better known songs: American wedding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-oH...eature=related Wonderlust King -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv3b...eature=related Through the roof and underground - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv3b...eature=related
+1 except they're really not new to me (not trying to brag). Also, for some reason I've really enjoyed listening to Silversun Pickups lately.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only new artist I can even name is Amy Winehouse because of all the crackhead photos that have been posted of her in CE.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneblood
+1 except they're really not new to me (not trying to brag). Also, for some reason I've really enjoyed listening to Silversun Pickups lately.
I love these guys, I saw them live in Brooklin about a year ago. They seriously deserve the publicity from wristcutters and Eugene Hutz being in Everything is illuminated. I gotta see em again but they don't appear to be having any concerts in NYC for awhile.

Crazy

Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of Bon Iver and other indie-folk type music lately. Yes it is "pitchfork approved" but not in such a flavor of the week way. "For Emma, Forever Ago" is a great album and even if some people don't enjoy it most of them notice the craft that went into it. I also just picked up Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings: "100 Days, 100 Nights" it's an '07 release, but she does what she does well. A word that comes to mind is "authentic". She has such a range and her band is endlessly tight and groovy. The Dap Kings are good enough that they were hired to back up Amy Winehouse, and I think that contributed a lot to the success of Amy's album.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would throw out Eleanor McEvoy, the Irish folk singer, as a recent find. Superb singer-songwriter skills.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Carolina Liar's new album "Coming to Terms" is an immensely listenable pop/rock album that's been in my cd player non-stop for the past couple of weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads