• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Goral footwear (made in Sheffield, UK) thread...

Moostyle

Reaction score
Yes and yes!
Interesting thanks. My UK11 should arrive next week at some point so I will report back here with how they fit! If they end up like a 'practical' size UK10.75 then it may work out well for me. :D
I am comparing the shape with the only other pair of casual sneakers I currently have. They are made by Bohempia and are by default much wider, inspired by Converse (I guess). They are much more casual obviously.
Two months old Cheaney in leather vs years old sneakers with hemp upper. (but nowadays made in Romania)
I will post pictures of the brown ones when they arrive for comparison of Mellor ll vs Cheaney Gorals.
PS: I will write to Goral if I decide to purchase some other pair of their sneakers.

View attachment 2160299
Wow the top ones kind of look like barefoot style shoes, very wide at the toes.

Hungry Otto

Reaction score
Interesting thanks. My UK11 should arrive next week at some point so I will report back here with how they fit! If they end up like a 'practical' size UK10.75 then it may work out well for me. :D

Wow the top ones kind of look like barefoot style shoes, very wide at the toes.
They are totally barefoot. Their standard size already is wider than usual. They also have wide versions. I never tried the wide version but their standard option is true to size.
It´s a Czech company, materials sourced in EU, made in EU as well. Everything they do is hemp related. They used to do hemp clothes too but not anymore. I have been wearing their shoes for years. Also, they are obviously way cheaper than all leather shoes made in UK.
I consider these to be a great alternative to Converse = wider, slightly unusual and most likely more sustainable.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Morning all. Two bits of news...

1) Today I received my Gorals in size UK11 from Ebay and it's been interesting. At first when I tried them on I was like "wtf, they feel small for UK11" but then I took a look at the insoles and wow... they are crazy thick and take up a TON of inner space (see attached photo)! I replaced them with thinner leather insole and while of course now it has less cushioning, at least my foot fits in it without being squished! I would possible size up to 11 wide if I buy them again.

2) Goral told me they have "updated their website and shipping/VAT calculation" but, believe it or not, they are still charging UK VAT for international customers who live in countried with different tax rates. Their explanation was:

We have now changed our policy to DDP on our end, this means that all charges are paid by us thus we charge UK VAT on all our shoes.

Sigh, Goral. :(

While I am annoyed by this illogical explanation, it likely won't stop me buying as I can stomach an extra 10% if it gets me the more sustainable and higher quality footwear I want.

The shoes:

The Mellor II's I received look fantastic, well stitched with quality construction. The MASTROTTO ADRIA BIANCO leather is actually not white as in the website photos, but more of a cream colour which I really like. The gum sole contrasts perfectly and will of course unlike white soles be very resistant to dirt and staining.

I will try these for a few weeks and then if I am satisfied I will strongly consider ordering some Natural shell cordovan Mellor II's. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240415_065003398.jpg
    PXL_20240415_065003398.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240415_071818319.jpg
    PXL_20240415_071818319.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240415_071805252.jpg
    PXL_20240415_071805252.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240415_071825445.jpg
    PXL_20240415_071825445.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Hungry Otto

Reaction score
Hello gents, the comparison between The Mellor II - Horween Dark Brown (right after arrival and after one walk) and Cheaney X Goral = Kelham Trainer in White/Off White Leather (after months of regular use).
I asked Goral to not print their name on the brown sneakers but to keep the flag.
Made for Cheaney are not stitched, hence the info that Goral will not resole them.
The insole is same for both and very thick as Moostyle pointed out.
After the first and only walk I would say that Mellors are slightly less padded all around and they seem slightly less spingy = I suspect as a result of the blake (or whatever) stitch and perhaps slightly different composition on the inside.
I mentioned my buying gripes before. Mellors were 10% more expensive than Cheaneys when counting in all the charges. I was not chaged VAT to Czech Republic though. Prices I see on Goral website are ex VAT.
Czech VAT, customs charge and some other thing was charged by DHL on delivery.
Built quality is obviously great. They fit true to size for me. They were comfortable until about 5km, then I started to doubt my decision to go that far in new shoes and in very thin sock:-D. They will be great after a bit more use.

Attachments

• 20240418_171922.jpg
    20240418_171922.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240418_171941.jpg
    20240418_171941.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240418_171958.jpg
    20240418_171958.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240418_172032.jpg
    20240418_172032.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240418_172223.jpg
    20240418_172223.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240418_172228.jpg
    20240418_172228.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240419_213330.jpg
    20240419_213330.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 61

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hello gents, the comparison between The Mellor II - Horween Dark Brown (right after arrival and after one walk) and Cheaney X Goral = Kelham Trainer in White/Off White Leather (after months of regular use).
I asked Goral to not print their name on the brown sneakers but to keep the flag.
Made for Cheaney are not stitched, hence the info that Goral will not resole them.
The insole is same for both and very thick as Moostyle pointed out.
After the first and only walk I would say that Mellors are slightly less padded all around and they seem slightly less spingy = I suspect as a result of the blake (or whatever) stitch and perhaps slightly different composition on the inside.
I mentioned my buying gripes before. Mellors were 10% more expensive than Cheaneys when counting in all the charges. I was not chaged VAT to Czech Republic though. Prices I see on Goral website are ex VAT.
Czech VAT, customs charge and some other thing was charged by DHL on delivery.
Built quality is obviously great. They fit true to size for me. They were comfortable until about 5km, then I started to doubt my decision to go that far in new shoes and in very thin sock:-D. They will be great after a bit more use.
Thanks for posting that detailed information, it's much appreciated and the Horweens look really nice! I noticed that the inner of the Mellor II underneath the insole is very firm. I swapped the super thick insole that came with it for a thinner one and the shoes are now much more spacious and still comfortable enough to walk in. Firm, but not spongy. They feel good. I will give some feedback to Goral on the thickness of their insole as it really seems over the top vs any other sneaker of this type I have ever seen and may even make people think the sneakers are too small when in fact they are not!

I have some outstanding questions with Goral regarding price and configuraiton possibilities and then I am planning to order:

-Mellor II Mastratto Lion UK11 (possibly Wide which is an extra 1cm in the toe room area)
-Horween shell black with black sole
-Horween shell natural with gum sole
-Horween shell blue with dark blue sole

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads