• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pants with a solo, solid black, 100% silk dinner jacket?

ijim

Reaction score
I nabbed a 100% silk dinner jacket in solid black. This designer marks "suit" or "jacket" on the tag and this is labeled as a "jacket" not "suit" so it's not an orphan. It's very matte. I'm wondering what my trouser options are. My first choice is to do classic black formal trousers (wool or a mohair blend). But is this something that only works with a pair of white/off-white trousers? I'm wearing this to red carpet stuff where the rules of formality are less stringent but I also don't want to look like I'm clueless. But it's not a wedding or anything and I'm ok going near the edge of the line. I'm also wondering about a gray pair of formal trousers for some contrast.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 3.41.32 AM.png

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It looks like a dinner jacket (i.e., the top part of a "tuxedo", a.k.a. "black tie" outfit). I would wear it with a standard pair of black tie trousers: black barathea with a stripe down the side.

notdos

Reaction score
I would not wear with black pants since they will most likely be a different shade of black, a different texture or sheen.
Perhaps ivory trousers or gray.

Phillip

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in a position to have trousers made, both financially and you have
access to a real tailor, ie you are in NYC, London, etc, i would suggest trying
to get a very close match in fabric. If not, the caveat about a poor match with
the "wrong" black is correct.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not believe this nonsense about matching blacks. A dinner jacket is not part of a suit and you need not be concerned with matching blacks, particularly as this jacket is silk. It was never meant to be "matched". The classic choice is black barathea trousers, formal trousers (tuxedo trousers, if you must). I actually like the idea of grey formal trousers. Ivory trousers are difficult to pull off unless you really know what you're doing. I have a pair and I have found they present me with quite limited options. With grey trousers you can wear black patent shoes. With ivory trousers I do not like black shoes at all.

If you commission a pair of black trousers, you can then wear them with any dinner jacket you choose. For example, I have several pairs, but the ones I wear most often are my black mohair trousers. I wear them with a barathea jacket when I can't find the matching trousers. No one notices. And if someone did, they wouldn't dare come up to me and question it.

ijim

Reaction score
I wasn't looking for confirmation bias but that *was* my understanding on the matching blacks situation too. And I couldn't have asked for a better authority on the subject than Andy57 himself.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not believe this nonsense about matching blacks. A dinner jacket is not part of a suit and you need not be concerned with matching blacks, particularly as this jacket is silk. It was never meant to be "matched". The classic choice is black barathea trousers, formal trousers (tuxedo trousers, if you must). I actually like the idea of grey formal trousers. Ivory trousers are difficult to pull off unless you really know what you're doing. I have a pair and I have found they present me with quite limited options. With grey trousers you can wear black patent shoes. With ivory trousers I do not like black shoes at all.

If you commission a pair of black trousers, you can then wear them with any dinner jacket you choose. For example, I have several pairs, but the ones I wear most often are my black mohair trousers. I wear them with a barathea jacket when I can't find the matching trousers. No one notices. And if someone did, they wouldn't dare come up to me and question it.
A Matchless response !

ijim

Reaction score
Just a follow-up (because I hate when a thread like this doesn't get some follow-up). I bought a lighter gray pair of trousers from BB and while I'm not nuts about this specific shade I think it will work very nicely with a slightly darker pair.

4tdN1qq.jpeg

uv6VoBj.jpeg

ijim

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't mean to spam but, again, this is the kind of thing I would appreciate if I stumbled on this via Google or search. This is how I'm actually going to wear it, with a classic dinner jacket rig. I think it looks pretty great. Even richer in person.

lv4MAOP.jpeg

e7G0hkO.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads